I Burped in class

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:44 pm
@Rbanks,
Rbanks wrote:

Well I saw on twitter American school kids have had detention for burping

Sweetie, let me put this to you gently.

Your 15 minutes of fame are over. Your burp and detention are in the past. It was commented on sufficiently, and we have moved on to other things.

Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:13 pm
@Rbanks,
Quote Rbanks:
Quote:
Well I saw on twitter American school kids have had detention for burping

This puzzles me. If I might ask, is the school you go to in the UK the normal, free of charge school that most students in your district go to, or is a private school for children of well-off families who consider it part of their job to groom the students for upper class life?

I ask because most Americans go to their normal tax supported "public school", where the standards of conduct taught are just of those of the average person, not one who is being raised for life in the manor house.

If your American twitter friends did receive detention for burping, and it was in the normal public school, it must have been a deep, loud, enormously defiant type burp that can be heard 100 feet away. This is sometimes done in America as an act of defiance to someone who is criticizing you harshly. It communicates lack of concern for the critic's complaints. If the critic happens to be the teacher, then yes, I can see the American student getting detention for the burp.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 06:25 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Your 15 minutes of fame are over. Your burp and detention are in the past. It was commented on sufficiently, and we have moved on to other things

Best reply of all of them.
Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:40 am
@contrex,
I disagree. The OP was merely replying to a post I made directed toward her, there was nothing wrong with her replying. I think the discussion had turned into an interesting one about what minor behaviors are accepted and what are not accepted between countries, between parts of the same countries, and even the same parts of countries during different periods of time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:18 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Your 15 minutes of fame are over. Your burp and detention are in the past. It was commented on sufficiently, and we have moved on to other things

Best reply of all of them.

The OP will undoubtedly one day be gathering the grandkids around his knee to tell the harrowing tale.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:29 pm
I can remember when A2K had a lot more folks posting than we do now. Come one, come all was the credo.

Now we have a member of school age who starts a discussion that has led to some fun discussion about what is allowed, and when, and where, and a couple of members turn around and tell her to go buzz off out of the conversation.

Guess they figure she's just not in the proper age group to be allowed to partake in A2K discussions, or something.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:31 pm
@roger,
Why are women allowed to wear hats inside?

I think it comes from the Bible. It seems like a silly rule to me.
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:50 pm
@maxdancona,
I can remember back in the day when all females had to cover their heads when going to Mass. Well, not babies of course.

Come to to think of it, I it was any time a female was inside a RC church. I don't know if this would same for RC females when going into a church of another religion.

I just looked it up, and the closest I could find as to when that requirement stopped was "sometime in th 1970's". Apparently in some kind of updated RC mandate in 1983 it just wasn't included.

What I can remember is that I hated it. Those mantillas always felt like they were sliding around on your head, no matter how well you pinned it. They were hot in the summer and anyway there was always the last minute scramble to find the stupid thing while your mother was yelling "hurry up and get in the car dammit, we're late for church"

The day after it was declared we didn't have to wear them, you'd maybe see 2 or 3 really old ladies still showing up with them.

Apparently there's something of a resurgence of wearing them?

Oh sure, you it's all meaningful and sh!t when you're doing it under the guise of religion when it's really just nostalgia. If you forget your veil or hat now, you can still go into the church. Back in the day if you didn't have a veil you had to find something to put on your head or you couldn't go in. Which made for some interesting head coverings.

I think if that rule was still in place and for some reason I had to go inside a RC church, I'd go in my glove compartment and pull out my tire gauge and balance on my head. Or maybe the knee pads I wear to yoga. I wouldn't use the yoga mat rolled up in the back of the car though. That would be too obviousness
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:23 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I can remember back in the day when all females had to cover their heads when going to Mass. Well, not babies of course.

Come to to think of it, I it was any time a female was inside a RC church. I don't know if this would same for RC females when going into a church of another religion.

In the C of E we now have women bishops; the Bishop of Gloucester, Rachel Treweek, is a lovely person and much loved in the church. A woman C of E priest who told me of a conversation she had with an elderly, well-meaning and very holy old male C of E priest. He told her that he was deeply worried about the ordination of women because they might "profane the altar" by coming near to it during their period.
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:28 pm
@contrex,
Was she going to collect her menses in a bucket and dash it up against the altar?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:42 pm
This doesn't explain why you are upset when men wear a hat indoors, but not when a woman wears a hat indoors.

Some little bits of gender inequality are acceptable these days, while others aren't. Modern day feminist sensitivity is sometimes surprisingly similar to older religious dictates.

I will wear a hat indoors if I please.

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Was she going to collect her menses in a bucket and dash it up against the altar?

I think that's what the old guy feared. Apparently the ritual uncleanliness of women once a month goes back to Old Testament Judaism .
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Some little bits of gender inequality are acceptable these days

Which ones?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:51 pm
@contrex,
Were you paying attention Contrex?

We were talking about how some people here are annoyed when a man wears a hat indoors, while a woman wearing a hat indoors is perfectly acceptable. I think that counts as a "little bit of gender inequality".
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
some people here are annoyed when a man wears a hat indoors, while a woman wearing a hat indoors is perfectly acceptable.

Oh, I see. I personally think that kind of stuff is one with Nineveh and Tyre, as Kipling might have said.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 05:16 pm
@contrex,
It is just as bad as most of the little gender inequities that you hear people complaining about these days.

But my main point is that these outdated rules of manners should be ignored across the board. Wearing a hat, or not wearing a hat, or putting your elbows on the table, or farting in front of a man, or farting in front of a woman, doesn't hurt anyone.

It is silly really that we hold on to these archaic ideas about manners.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:26 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I think that's what the old guy feared. Apparently the ritual uncleanliness of women once a month goes back to Old Testament Judaism .

Personally, I've always enjoyed this quote...

Woman is a temple built over a sewer. –Tertullian, “the father of Latin Christianity” (c160-225)

I mean, it's just enough to give hope, then throws in in the crapper.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote max:
Quote:
Why are women allowed to wear hats inside?
I remember reading some time ago that the custom of a man taking off his hat when he enters a house goes back to the knights entering a castle. If the knight took his helmet off, it meant he was there to visit or talk, not to fight. For a knight to keep his helmet on universally meant he was there to fight.

They didn't have knightesses in armor back then, so the rule didn't apply to women.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Burped in class
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:08:32