I Burped in class

Rbanks

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:02 am
Yesterday I was sitting in my geography class and accidentally let out a tiny burp it was very silent I didn't think anyone heard me but I said excuse me anyway. next minute I know my teacher she was like did you just burp I was like yes I did say excuse me she then just gave me a detention it was so embrassing is this fair ?

Blickers

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:04 am
The way you described it, no. At least not in the USA. What is your home country? Burp rules might be different there.
0 Replies

Rbanks

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 12:37 pm
I am from the UK
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:11 pm
@Rbanks,
No. People usually can't help burping. What level of school are you in? assuming it is equivalent to what in the US is called high school or earlier, I would recommend asking your parents to talk with the Principal teacher. You were certainly courteous, and deserve an apology from the teacher of that geography class.

If you are at University, I think handling reporting what happened yourself would be best.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:14 pm
When I was at (UK) school we were expected not to burp. It is possible to stop yourself, so maybe your teacher did not believe it was an accident. It comes under bad manners. If you are older than about 7 you should know about manners. Have you done it before? Or other things to do with manners? Maybe you ran out of second chances. Also if we had to cough or sneeze we had to cover our mouths. Sniffing because of a runny nose was a no-no too. Get a tissue and blow your nose!
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:36 pm
@contrex,
Oof. We differ on needing to stop yourself. Well, hey, I'm from California.. and I'm way older than seven.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:47 pm
@contrex,
The UK sounds simply dreadful sometimes.
contrex

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:50 pm
Burping is worse if you have your mouth open at the time, as an "urp" sound escapes. In this way it is a manners issue like sneezing and coughing. Increasingly these days teachers are expected to teach kids these things, when maybe in earlier generations parents did it.
chai2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Especially regarding things like clotted cream.

The stomachs of every American just did a flip flop reading those 2 words.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The UK sounds simply dreadful sometimes.

We like it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:11 pm
@contrex,
I know I'd like it, just can't get there now. But, we have our different modes.
The US is so big that a lot of us have different modes within our borders.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:16 pm
This all reminds me of my first date with a certain guy that made my heart go pitter patter. He opened the passenger door for me and went around the front of the car and got into the driver's seat and looked at me and said "I saw you burp!" We both laughed, he a little harder.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:28 pm
@contrex,
We Americans teach our kids not to have a stick up their ass. Burping and farting are perfectly normal biological functions. In my estimation, this teacher is full of crap. British humor seems to be able to deal with these things just fine. I don't know why this teacher, or any teacher, would have such a problem with this.

One of the lessons that children have to learn is that sometimes authority figures act like idiots. It is part of life. The student in this case has a couple of choices. It may be that this is one of the cases where you just take the detention. Life isn't always fair. Sometimes in life you can stick up for yourself, at other times it isn't worth it.

I would recommend experimenting... I had a couple of period of teenaged defiance. They were great learning experiences about when you can challenge authority, and when you can't get away with it.

I am a middle-aged father of 3 with experience as a high school teacher (in the US). In my opinion, your teacher is full of crap.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:31 pm
@maxdancona,
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/8277980672/h0561652F/
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:08 pm
I have to explain, I was a kid in the 1950s and 1960s. My mother taught me that burping (or "belching" as she called it) was "uncouth", a word she used often. Other things that she considered uncouth were farting ("making a dirty smell"), picking your nose, blowing your nose on your fingers, spitting, talking with your mouth full, chewing food without closing your mouth, picking your teeth, biting your nails. Little things, I guess, to some. I think the manners breaches these things consist of is forcing the people around you to become aware of your bodily functions. We all piss and **** and have saliva, snot and wind in us, but it was considered unmannerly to force unwanted awareness of this on other people. To a certain extent this was a class thing. Working class people (like my mother's own family) had less of a "stick up their ass" about such things, but nice refined respectable people like us didn't do these things.

I freely admit, therefore, that snobbery was a big factor in my parent's attitude in this area, and for many others, and I think attitudes have relaxed somewhat nowadays, but I still do think that it is polite to think of other peoples' sensitivities.
contrex

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:11 pm
I once read in a book about the history of etiquette that in Victorian times, if, at a formal event, a high ranking lady farted, it was the duty of the nearest gentleman to promptly pretend it was he that did it, and apologise to all. i cannot help thinking that this can't be true. Surely it would draw more attention to the unfortunate event?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:38 pm
@contrex,

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:40 pm
@Rbanks,
Looks like the USA is going to have a new immigrant as soon as school is graduated, lol.

Welcome to the USA, Rbanks. Land Of The Free
Freedom of Speech
Freedom of the Press
Freedom of Assembly
Freedom to Burp Without Getting Sent To Detention
0 Replies

Rbanks

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:19 pm
I have seen on twitter lots of people here in England and in the USA have been given detention for burping. I think I might just have to accept it my tutor is talking to the teacher about it I havent burped in her class before and I am not a bad student she has never had to tell me off before . I think onetime a got told off by another teacher once for burping in corridor once but I was younger then and probably didn't excuse myself but I didn't get detention lol
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:37 pm
@contrex,
I get you, and thanks for the explanation.
I was born in late 1941, educated by a variety of catholic nuns in different US cities and don't entirely regret it even now. Yestir.. as yes, sister. I got pissy about a certain bunch of those years some time later, but still, I've batches of good memories.

I started working in hospitals/labs later on, starting at sixteen. At sixteen, I was still an idiot (a project I carry on to this day), but working at the desks in a good hospital grew me up.

Addendum, I have little sense of smell, an inherited condition, which could explain some of my takes.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Burped in class
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:40:11