Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 06:06 am
@bobsal u1553115,

CI was on the other day
http://able2know.org/user/cicerone_imposter/
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 06:09 am
@Region Philbis,
Thanks. Both threads I am avoiding.But I'm glad hes back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 02:37 pm
jlnobody
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 02:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I haven't heard from him in a while, which worries me too. I'm sure I have their address somewhere, but not their phone number.
Last time he posted though, I remember he was having computer troubles.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:38 am

Just for the record, a new expansion in World of Warcraft is about to be released.

People who are used to me will remember that I often disappear for extended lengths of time when such things happen. (Though I do come up for air now and then, and make a few posts when I do.)

God help me I just made a Night Elf character. It still feels weird. I usually think of Elves as chow. Confused
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:07 am
@oralloy,
you usually sound like an adult. Then when you start on this WOW ****, I wonder whether Im scrapping with some precocious teenager.
hingehead

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:54 am
@farmerman,
Say what? An adult what? Grasshopper?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:22 am
@hingehead,
He's always sounded like a ten year old to me. "my IQ is a trillion times higher than yours," isn't something an adult would say, not even one Norman Mailer.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
thack45

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:43 pm
Where has Hawkeye been?
oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:08 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Where has Hawkeye been?

He was suspended for six months (unjustly in my view, in my view the standard one week suspension for a first offense was appropriate).

He left the board due to his unhappiness over what he also saw as unjust treatment.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:41 am
@thack45,
Mining poop from the bowels of some RW forum somewhere else. Good riddance.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
He was suspended for six months (unjustly in my view, in my view the standard one week suspension for a first offense was appropriate)

Different people can have different opinions on how things should work, I know I have (i.e. in the last month I've decided to scale back the way suspensions are being used and to make them shorter, now 1-day suspensions are more typical).

But he was objectively not treated "unfairly". The standard for what he did most certainly was not ever a 1 week suspension. Never in the history of the site has someone been suspended for what he was suspended for (following gay members of the site around and calling them "faggots") for less time than he was. Everyone who was suspended for such epithets other than him has been permanently suspended.

And it was not just one offense, he went around for quite a while doing it (and it should have been acted on long ago). He was only given a temporary suspension because of his longer standing in the community while most people spouting such slurs are drive-by trolls that are permanently banned.

As for him punishing us by leaving that is rich irony, less than a dozen people in his years and years on this site appreciated his input while hundreds were driven off. He has a delusional take on his value to this community and hopefully the sites he posts to keep him occupied there polluting their waters.
thack45

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I didn't even know you could be suspended on this site. Shocked

I searched his SN after I posted the question (apologies that I didn't search first), and found his last post stating he was much happier posting elsewhere. When he mentioned that this was in the good company of the like of coldjoint, I quit reading.. yikes
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:35 pm
@thack45,
Ultimately the goal I have for this site (and the upcoming platform to replace it) is inclusiveness. And I went out of my way to build it in a way that could support even unpopular folks like him. He would even alternate between attacking me publicly for supposedly suppressing him and thanking me in private messages for not banning him for his bigotry like he expected to be on most sites.

Thing is, while I want this platform to be inclusive and have even always been fine with him arguing his bigotry against women, blacks and gays on the forum I am not fine with those slurs in this community and never have been. While he couched his arguments, bigoted as they may be, in more palatable terms he was welcome. But this particular community will never be one where such slurs will be tolerated. If he comes back and refrains from them he won't run into that problem again but we are just not gonna make this one of the communities that lets discourse sink to those levels.

I will note, however, that the next platform of this community will enable each user to create their own communities and their own rules, and if some of them want to tolerate such slurs they will be allowed to.

My goal is to build a robust and open platform but this particular community on that platform won't be sinking to those lows.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:43 pm
@thack45,
He wrote to me once when he was let back in, about not liking him (I think I was a possible liker), and I wasn't reassuring. He liked me somewhat as I actually responded to him on food threads once in a while when he wasn't completely on longtime ignore, few enough people on food threads as it is, but I reminded him about my anger/rage re his other opinions. That might have been the click of the door closing and bolted. Though, far as I can figure, he is allowed to post here now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:04 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Does my age matter? I either make a good point when I post or I don't.
YEs, wisdom of age comes when you realize that you arent the most important one deciding on whether your points are good or not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:24 pm
@farmerman,
Though I don't often agree with oralloy he is right here. Age matters in many things but insofar as the legitimacy of the points he makes goes it does not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree with you because I deplore censorship. All voices needs to be heard. After all, this is America.

Even I was banned from a2k many years ago.
0 Replies