If only his name was Pete Williams instead of Abdul Artan, eh?

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 11:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
cheese-eaters?

Years ago while in the US Army, we used this term roughly equivalent to ass-kisser.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:15 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

Quote:
The constitution doesn't give any civil rights to people who are citizens of, and living in, foreign countries.

The rights the Constitution speaks of are for everybody. There's no mention of citizenship.

Ya think? In what sense does the constitution give rights to, say, a chinaman living in china? Does he have a right, for example, to recieve food stamps from the U.S. Government on the grounds that he is entitled to equal protection of the law?

Does he have the right to unrestricted interstate travel?
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:23 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
There's no mention of citizenship.

Ever read the 14th amendment? Here it is:

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:31 am
@layman,
of course the USA can't protect the rights of people living in foreign countries, but those rights still exist, and when they're violated there's a recognition of that violation. Foreigners on US soil have the same rights as citizens.
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:44 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

of course the USA can't protect the rights of people living in foreign countries, but those rights still exist, and when they're violated there's a recognition of that violation. Foreigners on US soil have the same rights as citizens.

Not according to the Supreme Court, eh?

Quote:
Congress has nearly full authority to regulate immigration without interference from the courts. Because immigration is considered a matter of national security and foreign policy, the Supreme Court has long held that immigration law is largely immune from judicial review. Congress can make rules for immigrants that would be unacceptable if applied to citizens.

In 1952's Harisiades v. Shaughnessy, the Supreme Court upheld the right of Congress to expel noncitizens who were former Communists. It held that "...the place to resist unwise or cruel legislation touching aliens is the Congress, not this Court."

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:06 am
Let me guess, eh? The left-wing websites don't inform you of these things. They will only talk about the rights immigrants DO have, but never the ones they DON'T have. That it?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:36 am
Here's kinda how it works:

Right now, immigration and naturalization laws provide that any child born in the US is a "citizen."

So, in theory, a pregnant Mexican woman could slip 1 foot over the border, plop out a kid, and, voila, we have a new citizen.

Is it her, or a, constitutional right to turn her kids into US Citizens this way?

No, she don't and it aint. There's nothing in the bill of rights which grants her this. The constitution gives congress the unrestricted right to make whatever rules they deem desirable, "fair" or not.

So congress could amend that law at anytime. It could, for example, make an amendment saying that only children of citizens automatically became citizens.

What if somebody didn't like that? Could they go to the Supreme Court and complain that their constitutional rights had been violated?

Fraid not.

Sorry, cheese-eaters.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:45 am
@layman,

layman wrote:

Here's kinda how it works:

Right now, immigration and naturalization laws provide that any child born in the US is a "citizen."

So, in theory, a pregnant Mexican woman could slip 1 foot over the border, plop out a kid, and, voila, we have a new citizen.

Is it her, or a, constitutional right to turn her kids into US Citizens this way?

No, she don't and it aint. There's nothing in the bill of rights which grants her this. The constitution gives congress the unrestricted right to make whatever rules they deem desirable, "fair" or not.

So congress could amend that law at anytime. It could, for example, make an amendment saying that only children of citizens automatically became citizens.

What if somebody didn't like that? Could they go to the Supreme Court and complain that their constitutional rights had been violated?

Fraid not.

Sorry, cheese-eaters.

'Fraid not. The 14th amendment is as much a part of the constitution as Article 1, or anything else. No amendment can be changed except by another amendment.

Personally, I think the 14th is overdue for amendment, but congress isn't going to do it by passing a new law.
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

The 14th amendment is as much a part of the constitution as Article 1, or anything else. No amendment can be changed except by another amendment.

Yeah, so? Have you read any other part of this thread pertaining to this topic, Rog?

If you do, you might have a better idea of what I'm sayin.

For now I'll just note that Article 1 is not an "amendment to" the constitution. It IS (part of) the constitution. So IT can't be changed, except by amendment. The 14th amendment does not create any new rights which are "in addition to" those already existing. It certainly says nothing about federal immigration laws. It merely prevents individual states from depriving persons within their respective jurisdictions of (pre-established) rights in the constitution.

roger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:08 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

For now I'll just note that Article 1 is not an "amendment to" the constitution. It IS (part of) the constitution.

All amendments are part of the constitution. They can be changed by amendment only. Indeed, some amendments have been amended already.

But, I repeat myself.
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:11 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

But, I repeat myself.

Yeah, you do. What you haven't done is address the question I asked you, or reflected on the distinctions I made in that (last) post.

Let me add another question. Are you aware of anything, anywhere in the constitution, which gives a Mexican woman the right to "create" citizens by slipping across the border?
nacredambition

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:14 am
@layman,
Quote:
So, what do you all propose, a ban on Muslim immigrants?

I would be down for that, my own damn self, sho nuff.

"No baby it's too late to change your mind and stay
Please don't drag it out much longer
Leave before the hurt gets stronger, ciao

I should have known
You would be the very first to cast a stone"

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:21 am
@nacredambition,
nacredambition wrote:

Quote:
So, what do you all propose, a ban on Muslim immigrants?

I would be down for that, my own damn self, sho nuff.

"No baby it's too late to change your mind and stay
Please don't drag it out much longer
Leave before the hurt gets stronger, ciao

I should have known
You would be the very first to cast a stone"

It's not clear what "point" you are trying to make here, eh, Amby? Care to elaborate?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:25 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Are you aware of anything, anywhere in the constitution, which gives a Mexican woman the right to "create" citizens by slipping across the border?

I'm not. The constitution gives the (unreviewable) power to congress to make immigration laws. It (the constitution) does NOT try to dictate what those laws "must" be. Any "right" the woman has (or will have) is a matter of statutory, not constitutional, law.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 10:22 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

All amendments are part of the constitution. They can be changed by amendment only. Indeed, some amendments have been amended already.

Roger, I don't know if you've read anything I've said, or if you have anything further to say on this topic. But you're the third poster to come in here and tell me, in essence, that they know what constitutional rights are and that I don't. So I will address one more post to this topic.

Suppose I said that the constitution gives me the right to rob banks and keep the money. Suppose you doubt that and ask me how I reach that conclusion. Now suppose that in response to your question, I said:

"All amendments are part of the constitution. They can be changed by amendment only. Indeed, some amendments have been amended already."

In that event, your next question would be the one I asked you, to wit: "Yeah, so?"

That's about like saying that I have a constitutional right to rob banks because there is a constitution. That doesn't help, and it doesn't respond to the question.

The FIRST question is where, IN THE CONSTITUTION, is this putative "right to rob banks" stated? If the answer is "nowhere," then, obviously, you don't have it as a constitutional right.

0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:30 pm
@layman,
Are you saying that a tourist or an immigrant doesn't have the right of free speech? Or the right to be secure in their person? Or the right to a speedy and public trial?
These and other rights exist by virtue of being human, not by citizenship.
I think we're talking about two different things. Of course immigration has to be regulated and subject to rules and procedures.
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:36 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

Are you saying that a tourist or an immigrant doesn't have the right of free speech?

I'm saying that an immigrant does not have all the same rights a citizen has. With respect to your specific question, I have already summarized for you a US Supreme Court case which answers it.

That case said immigrants could be deported for being communists and that laws which would be unacceptable if applied to citizens are constitutionally permissible if applied to immigrants.

The First Amendment gives citizens the right to hold communist beliefs without punishment. It does NOT give immigrants that same right, according to the Supreme Court.
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:01 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

The First Amendment gives citizens the right to hold communist beliefs without punishment. It does NOT give immigrants that same right, according to the Supreme Court.

So, for example, Congress could pass laws allowing the deportation of any (non-citizen) who believes, as the father of Kahn does, that Sharia law takes precedence over the US Constitution.

That would not be constitutionally impermissible, and the Supreme Court would have no power to "veto" such a law. But someone who believes anything they are led to believe at a Democratic Convention might well think otherwise. Many were quite impressed by Kahn offering to give Trump his own personal copy of the constitution to help "school" Trump.

Kahn's the one who needs schoolin here.

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 08:18 pm
Experts question the process that allowed Ohio State attacker to enter America as a refugee

Quote:
The Somali-born Ohio State University student accused of committing a car-and-knife attack on campus Monday reportedly came with his family as a refugee, but it is unclear what precisely the family was fleeing....

NBC News, citing law enforcement sources, reported that Artan left his native country in 2007 for Pakistan and came to America seven years later.

Federal law and international treaties set out specific criteria for qualifying as refugees. “To be a refugee, one should be fleeing an area that is under duress,” said Kyle Shideler, director of threat assessment for the Washington-based Center for Security Policy. “What program permitted his entry into the United States?” he asked.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/abdul-artan-got-united-states/

I wonder if the "program" involved had anything to do with making a "donation" to the Clinton Foundation, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 07:35 am
Trump knows how to play these cheese-eaters, eh? He sends out a tweet saying this terrorist should not have been allowed to enter the country.

Now they are forced to declare, and argue, that yes, he SHOULD have been in the USA.

Good luck with that, cheese-eaters.