More of a confession, a cautionary tale, but input welcome

JoeD

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:54 am
This has been a helpful forum to find. I find myself wanting to share my story. My main question is if there's anyone else out there that shares my situation: short story - things started to go south in my marriage when one of our children started to experience chronic illness.

Long story: married 19 years. Our youngest child, now 8, has had chronic illness issues since the child was 2. Due to her issues, my wife became very concerned and the child was in our bed almost every night for many years. Sometimes to monitor health but also because it became a habit. I tried for years (not months - years) to ask respectfully that the child (sorry - using gender neutral to protect the innocent) sleep in their own bed when they were not feeling too poorly or monitoring was unnecessary. The most common responses was my wife was too tired to try to attempt to have the child sleep in their own bed (I offered to many times to lay with the child myself until they fell asleep), or the child became upset that they could not sleep with mommy. In both cases I would reach a point where the situation became emotionally elevated. Now the reason I wanted the child in their own bed was just to be physically close to my wife - to create an environment of intimacy even outside of sex - and yes, so that every once in a while sex might follow. But she experienced high amounts of worry and stress about our child, which is understandable. The problem is I was a roommate in my own room. I soldiered on, which in retrospect was not an emotionally healthy thing to do. I have codependent tendencies (my wife, while having her own issues, has no issues with alcohol or drugs, I just want to make that clear). So asking for this time to be physically close alone was very hard, knowing that she was dealing with constant worry about our child. About 2 years ago I suggested she get counseling to deal with her constant hypervigilance about our child's health (this child was never at risk of death, but experienced bouts of pain that lasted weeks, probably twice per year on average - with short bouts in between). In retrospect I probably should have suggested marriage counseling, but in my mind it was her worry that was the barrier. We toyed with the idea of me staying home a few mornings per month to have sex, but I wasn't just looking for a release. I wanted semi-regular non-sexual intimacy. We had sex during this whole period, but increasingly infrequently. I made every effort to support her emotionally - we sometimes talked about the child's health almost every minute we were together during a given day. I attended as many Dr. appointments as my work schedule allowed. I engaged as much as I was able, although I'm sure I seemed more distant as the problem started to seem intractable. The situation consumed her.

So I became despondent. About 5 1/2 years into this cycle I became so worn down that I started considering an affair. I realize at this point I should have sought counseling with my wife or at least given her "fair warning" and considered leaving if things did not change. But unfortunately I suffer from a personality where I have high emotional intelligence when it comes to other people but struggle in expressing my own feelings when I think they conflict with the needs of others or might cause them discomfort. This is no one else's issue but my own, but it contributed to my choices. I sought out an affair partner and found one. I'll leave most of the gushing for another time, but she is incredible - we connect intellectually, emotionally and physically in ways I have never experienced. She is literally the most amazing _person_ I have ever met, much less woman. She had been in her own 20 year marriage to an emotionally abusive husband. She had tried many times to seek counseling with him but he always regressed. I realize fully that she took more proactive efforts in her own marriage than I have and has exhausted all options. She finally initiated divorce a few months ago.

I've always told her she would never be my "mistress" (meaning if she was single I would not consider for one moment continuing the relationship as it was - no one should experience that type of imbalanced relationship, much less this woman who is amazing in every way). So now I am facing that exact situation very soon.

Having already made a choice which I consider to be a moral failure, I was not going to compound that by stringing this wonderful woman along. We have discussed a future together at length, but it is obviously up to me to execute. I can totally see us together an happy forever - quite honestly if I had sex once every two months with this woman I would still be the happiest man in the world. Just to answer some common questions:

1) how do you know she won't cheat on you like she did on her ex?: She has always told me how important marriage and fidelity was to her. She tried very hard to preserve her marriage and only entered into the affair when things became hopeless (for some time she could not have left financially, and was only able to recently)

2) How do you know you won't end up in the same spot in 2 years when the "fog" wears off?: We are two people that have been in committed marriages for nearly 20 years. Extraordinary circumstances (years-long neglect and persistent emotional abuse) caused our marriages to fray. We've been astounded by how easy it is to give to each other in ways other than sexually. I don't believe in soulmates, but if I had one it would be her. I would work every day to be the best husband I can to her. I did that for many, many years in my current marriage (yes, the affair notwithstanding)

3) What about your children?: For quite a while I have not been able to be father I want to them because of my unhappiness. I am still very involved - coaching sports, checking in with them regularly at night to make sure they are emotionally tended to, helping with homework and finding recreational time with them. But internally I've become very muted and I don't like who I've become, even if I still "Check all the boxes" in terms of what it means to be a father to them (yes, I know the affair injures them in ways they are not even aware of)

So, not wanting this to drag out I have not equivocated and told my wife I want a divorce. In the intervening weeks she has sought counseling for herself (which I advised years ago) and now admits that on top of all the stress of our child's illness she was repressed in many other ways due to circumstances of her childhood and wants to work to "change our patterns" and repair our marriage. She has even admitted that most of our problems stem from her behavior and says that I have been a wonderful husband and she does not blame be for where our marriage has gone (I don't believe that, in the vast majority of cases both spouses contribute to growing apart and I can see where I have contributed - it's not important in what proportions which spouse contributes)

Meanwhile, I have met the love of my life. I realize the best situation would have been to seek reconciliation or have a "clean break" before setting out on a new relationship. But I was naive in trying to get my needs met outside of my marriage while trying very hard to support my wife through her anxiety and stress surrounding our child. My wife is saying all the right things, an even trying to initiate sex (which she infrequently did even in the best of times). She has no idea about the affair.

I won't sit here and say that if I cut off all contact with my lover that I couldn't have a cordial marriage with my current wife, but there has been a lot of damage done. I believe that 5 years of neglect, despite a child's illness and in the face of me asking for reasonable adaptations, has cause me grave hurt. I won't be told that I shouldn't feel that. My lover (she's more than that to me but this forum is littered with men that say that so I won't pretend that it holds any more weight then their words) is really a once-in-a-lifetime partner. I respect her in so many ways that I cannot even enumerate and know in my heart she would be a faithful and dedicated partner.

I'm interested in whether anyone else has experienced this with a chronically ill child. Having read up on it, marriages with chronically ill children can experience 70%+ divorce rates)

I'm also interested in any and all opinions on this, no matter how supportive or critical. I'm at a point where, regardless of what "could" have been done, I have no interested in repairing my marriage. I likely felt that way when I sought the affair. But I fully accept that I am in the throes of an affair so that certainty could very well be influenced by that.

Thanks for reading
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,133 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:15 am
An ill child can put an immense stress on the entire family, much less the marriage. Other siblings also are affected.

Too bad you didn't get that counseling years ago. All the signs were there that the marriage was suffering, yet neither of you got outside help. Too bad.

You have to want to work on this marriage. You don't sound like you do. You seem to be pondering whether or not you are going to leave your wife.

Perhaps a separation is in order. I would hope that you would put yourself in "neutral" for a while. Make no commitment one way or another. Let this other woman get herself together, too.

And - your wife sounds like she is trying to make changes and get herself together, too. You say she knows nothing about your affair. Don't be so naive. She knows, believe me. She deserves to know about how you feel. In counseling, you will be able to express exactly how you feel. That's one reason you should pursue talking this all out with a neutral third party.

JoeD

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:27 am
@PUNKEY,
Where I am at now is that I am presented with all the reasons not to divorce - impact on the children (first and foremost), financial means being curtailed, etc. I'm the not too distant past those things would have been very strong deterrents to me in seeking a divorce. Now they do not resonate at all. While I intellectually see that this decision would seem selfish to many, I've obviously already pulled the trigger. It was not a cry for help, it was done with purpose and intent. I'm at a point now where I want to gather opinions and information to see if there is anything I'm missing. You are correct that a period of neutrality would be the best course. I feel that in order to do that I would have to tell the woman I am in love with not to wait for me. If I told her to wait until I sorted it out it would be a situation of wanting my cake and eating it too, which as I said before is not an arrangement I'm willing to subject her to. So I have to be OK with one possible outcome is that I get divorced and she had moved on. While that breaks my heart I'm still not moved in terms of how it impacts my divorce situation. At this point I feel the best outcome created by staying is giving my children a stable home and two co-parents. Knowing the world of affairs as I do, I know that it's much easier to embark on your second affair as it was your first - so I think a solid, loving relationship with my current wife is a requirement, not a luxury if we move forward. If we go to counseling I want to do so in an attempt to repair the marriage, not to just see if we're still "compatible". The nagging thought that I have is that even if the "new" woman were to disappear, I'd probably get divorced anyway.

Thank you for your feedback. In the same way I made a decision to divorce rather than equivocate, I will make a quick decision on whether to continue to press forward or provide for a time and space of neutrality. So in short, this is a time where I'm doing my sure diligence to make sure that a decision that feels very right on a number of levels is truly the correct one, because the fallout is considerable.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:48 am
@JoeD,
JoeD wrote:
Where I am at now is that I am presented with all the reasons not to divorce - impact on the children (first and foremost), financial means being curtailed, etc. I'm the not too distant past those things would have been very strong deterrents to me in seeking a divorce. Now they do not resonate at all.

I'm concerned that the impact on your children does not resonate for you. Or at least that you present it that way.

Divorce may well be the best result for you and your wife, but don't lose track of your children and their needs. Start researching bird's nest custody, look into counselling as a family in preparation for changes -whether divorce or otherwise - changes have to be made.

Your romantic partner? she's got her own life to sort out.

All of the adults involved have to take care of themselves - and you and your wife have to make sure your children come through this reasonably well.
JoeD

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I can see how what I wrote about the children might give you pause. When I said it did not resonate, I meant it was no longer compelling me to stay in the marriage. Outside of that my kids emotional well being, as much as it can be fostered, is paramount to me. I presented my wife with a number of potential custody schedules with the primary goal of each being the kids emotional health and stable living environment. I will look into bird nesting. Thanks so much for your comments
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:38 pm
@JoeD,
I can recommend bird's nest custody. I have friends who've done it with comparative success - family dissolution is never easy. It's less convenient for the adults, but the stability it provides the children can really ease things for them.

__

Be prepared to talk to both women in your life with great honesty - there is truly no upside in lying to either of them. They both need to know that you don't know how things are going to end up (which is the truth). You may know what you'd like, and what you see as the next steps, but there are no guarantees as to the final outcome.
JoeD

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for the wisdom. I'm very focused on being honest with all parties. I'm the case of my lover (I wish there was a better term), I don't want her hanging on for any longer than she should without compromising herself. She has communicated to me that she is willing to wait while she goes through her own divorce, which will take months. Even so, I'd rather have a clean break than have her endure emotional damage waiting for me to play this thing out.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:54 pm
@JoeD,
JoeD wrote:
Even so, I'd rather have a clean break than have her endure emotional damage waiting for me to play this thing out.

Her decision about what she's going to do is just that - her decision.
0 Replies

Tiger81

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 09:49 am
@JoeD,
I've been on both sides of an affair, and I can tell you, as the ex-wife of a man who cheated that what I find unforgivable is that he did not have the balls to man up and tell me he was cheating. The reasons are not important, bottom line is you brought another person into what was supposed to be a monogamous relationship.

The problem is that you send things as all wrapped up together when in fact you are dealing with separate issues. Prioritize what is most import ant to you an d go from there. For example, if the kids are priority #1 , then every decision you make has to be made to support this. And believe it or not, staying in a loveless marriage is not necessarily best.

My suggestion for you would be individual counseling to help you sort all this out. Its unfair of you to string both of them along.
JoeD

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:05 am
@Tiger81,
Actually I'd be totally willing to confess my affair to my wife. It would give her a better idea of the big picture and would close the gap of dishonesty that an affair causes. The issue is that I'm not naive enough to think that my wife couldn't piece together who my affair partner is and cause her pain - not maliciously but just in terms of bringing her participation into the light of day. I've been extremely careful in how I've gone about the affair but it would be foolish to think I had not inadvertently left some bread crumb that could unravel things and expose my affair partner.

This may sound like a convenient excuse but my affair partner has children too and for me to unilaterally put her at risk in that way seems to me to be a questionable choice. However, I'm totally willing to entertain feedback to the contrary.
Tiger81

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 10:58 am
@JoeD,
That's tricky, I can say as an ex wife, I wanted to know all the details, and required total honesty for us to move forward (which did not work, in the long run anyway).

As an affair partner, I would be livid if he dragged me into the mess between them. But its a risk we take, isn't it?

I'm not much help, but I;m willing to listen and give you my perspective, having been on both sides.
0 Replies