Regency London

Chauncy

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
I need to know about the London Season during the Regency period. The clothes they wore, the etiquette, different dances they danced during the balls, food, anything and everything. Information about the country life in England during the same time would also be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,088 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
I googled "Regency London Social History" and found:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Regency+London++social+history
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:51 pm
Read Jane Austen, George Gordon Lord Byron, William Blake, William Wordsworth, John Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and his second wife Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (who penned Frankenstein). The Regency Period extended from King George III's final slide into madness in 1812 when his foppish, wastrel son George IV was appointed Regent in his stead, assuming the throne on George III's demise in 1820, to George IV's own death (prematurely brought on by his spectacularly loose living) in 1830. Perhaps the most enduring artifact of The Regency Period, (though not English in origin) is the waltz. Following the exuberance of the Georgian Period, the self-indulgent Regency Period all but inevitably fostered and formed the the more staid, practical morés of the Victorian Era.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:34 am
A nice collection of websites (mostly run by enthusiasts) is to be found at

the Regency Collection

The Regency Page is a huge, if not the greatest, collection of websites. (More by historians.)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:36 am
Timber's list of novels describing the period is a good one. Often one can get a "feel" for a period in a novel that gets lost in the dry pages of really good hisory writing. You might want to put Thackery's "Vanity Fair" at the top of the novels list. I resisted reading this book for years, but once I got around to it in my forties, it became a favorite. Ah, that Becky Sharp.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
timberlandko wrote:
The Regency Period extended from King George III's final slide into madness in 1812 when his foppish, wastrel son George IV was appointed Regent in his stead, assuming the throne on George III's demise in 1820, to George IV's own death (prematurely brought on by his spectacularly loose living) in 1830.

I just want to say that "foppish" and "wastrel" are two of the greatest words in the English language. I tip my hat to you, timber, for using both of them in the same sentence.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I tip my hat to you, timber, for using both of them in the same sentence.

...and applying them to the same person.
0 Replies