The handicapped bathroom stall

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:55 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Ummm Squinney, if you're blind enough to merit a handicapped sticker, wouldn't that present a sort of a problem in driving to the handicapped space in the first place?

Yes, that would seem the case except that I am handicapped enough to get a sticker according to my doctor and the state, but not handicapped enough to have to stop driving according to the DMV. Strange, huh?

BTW, I do not drive from dusk to dawn, where lack of lighting further restricts peripheral vision. And, as soon as I feel unsafe driving, I don't and won't.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:12 pm
Squinney
Squinney, sorry I didn't write my suggestion clearly.

Installing higher toilet seats and a hand rail (usually less than 12 inches long similar to the hand rails you can install in your shower) on one wall of the stall would not require any increase in size to the stall, hence none of the additional expenses you mentioned or a reduction of the number of stalls in a bathroom. The only added installation cost would be the inexpensive hand rail.

What I like about this idea is that you can easily tell if anyone is in or comes into the bathroom in a wheelchair or scooter. That way, anyone can use the larger handicap stall while it is not needed by a non-mobile person.

BBB
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
Squinney writes
Quote:
BTW, I do not drive from dusk to dawn, where lack of lighting further restricts peripheral vision. And, as soon as I feel unsafe driving, I don't and won't.

I hear you. I think I barely pass the eye exam each time--it is in a range in which I have the most trouble focusing clearly. And I too am so night blind I should not be allowed to drive at night, but yet I legally can. (The eye doctor says I should be legally blind and would be except that I can see.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:17 pm
Squinney, foxfyre--

Your failing sights are undoubtedly bolstered by common sense, reasoning ability and creative memory.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
Or else we're crazy as loons and enjoying the hell out of being old enough to be eccentric. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Foxfyre--

Blind but gifted with inner sight.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
Smile Thanks Noddy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
amen Noddy
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I find it interesting that no one responded to my remedy suggestion that all toilets in public restrooms should be handicapped height. Does anyone think it has merit?

No, because it would cause problems for those who do not have the stature of a supermodel or wish to hover rather than sit on a seat that has been sprayed by a previous user. (might I add that there should be a special place in hell reserved for those who foul the seat and do not clean up after themselves Evil or Very Mad )

Quote:
I've had to wait many times for access to a handicapped stall because of my disabilities when someone without any handicap was using it just because they like the larger stall, are thoughtless, are stupid, or all of the above.

And you are able to tell who has physical problems just by looking at them, right? You have X-ray vision AND telepathy to discern their motives for using YOUR stall, but no consideration for short people, mothers with small children, or the equally-urgent needs of "temporarily" able-bodied persons.

Toilets designed to be accessible to handicapped users are not meant for their exclusive use. In most places the percentage of handicapped persons is far smaller than the percentage of accessible stalls. Anyone can use any available stall, but consideration should be given to anyone who expresses a need for the accessible stall.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
Terry wrote:

Toilets designed to be accessible to handicapped users are not meant for their exclusive use. In most places the percentage of handicapped persons is far smaller than the percentage of accessible stalls. Anyone can use any available stall, but consideration should be given to anyone who expresses a need for the accessible stall.

Well, that might be so in the USA - but it really makes me wonder.

Your response, I might add, as well.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
Walter, in the USA at least one toilet in each restroom must be accessible, and most public restrooms only have a few stalls. I don't know what percent of the population is handicapped, but I am sure that it is not 33%.

Are there similar ADA laws in Europe?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
Yes, laws are quite similar - besides, here in Germany you get money refunded for the extra costs for special toilets (not just those, which are "accessible").

Since handicapped for instance generally stay longer on toilets (and I accompanied a lot professionally), I do think, 1/3 is a correct number.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:47 am
The handicapped stall - I can see if anyone uses it. My take on it is that there is one available in case some one that is handicapped needs it, but others can use it. There is a big difference between the handicap stall and a parking space. The parking space is closer to an entrance because a handicapped person has more difficulty moving in some capacity. If some one parks in this space and no other is available, it could a good length of time before one opens up (hours depending on the situation). The other alternative for parking could be a complete hindrance for the handicapped person that they may leave. Also, usually parking spaces are larger to accommodate handicapped vans. In the bathroom situation, the handicapped person only needs to wait minutes until the person in the stall finishes. Is there a particular reason a handicapped person is unable to wait a few minutes? Also in many public bathrooms, the handicapped stall will also have the changing table for babies, so it is obvious the stall is intended for non-handicapped.

As far as skiing - haven't you ever seen wheelchair bond individuals? It is quite amazing actually. And there could be cases where a handicap person, maybe a mom or dad brings their child for skiing lessons or just comes along and watches the fun.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Squinney, foxfyre--

Your failing sights are undoubtedly bolstered by common sense, reasoning ability and creative memory.

yes squinney is blessed with all those things and incredible insight as well.

Look who she married though. Go figure. Shocked
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
I don't care if the seat is high or low. Just make sure there's some good reading material.

http://www.canuck-halls.com/new/playboy.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:21 am
He likes it for the articles, not the pictures....I'm sure
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
BPB writes:

Quote:
yes squinney is blessed with all those things and incredible insight as well.

Look who she married though. Go figure.

Truth by cliche: "Love is Blind".
0 Replies