Yiddish Dialects

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:57 pm
Sholem! I'm completely new to this forum so sorry if I've posted in the wrong category or messed up somehow.

My question is on Yiddish dialects. The thing is that I'm very interested in learning Yiddish but it seems like there are multiple - very different - dialects. The study material I've used so has, for instance, claimed that there are three definite articles (that might change depending on the case of the noun to which it belongs) for all three genders: der/dem/dem (m.), di/di/der (f.), dos/dos/dem (n.). However, I talked to a native Yiddish speaker online a couple of days ago and he told me that the only definite article in Yiddish is de/di (depending on the pronunciation). As a matter of fact, it seems that a lot of what I have learned using my study books is very different from how Yiddish is actually spoken.

Could anyone please tell me why it seems that my study material is so different from actual Yiddish? Is it just because the native speaker I talked to speaks a different dialect (he is a Hasidic Jew living in NYC) or is my study material archaic (I wouldn't think so since everything I've read so far has been in accordance with other resources)?

Another example: In my textbook it says that "I put the potatoes in the oven an hour ago" is "Ikh hob geshtelt di bulbes in oyvn mit a sho tsurik" in Yiddish (if I remember correctly; there might have been a definite article preceding "oyvn"), but the native speakers disagrees and says that isn't how he would say it in Yiddish. He'd say, and I'm quoting his message: "Ikh hub gelaigt de kartoffeln in de oyven a shoo tzerik".

This whole thing has gotten me quite confused and I am now insecure with regards to what dialect to study - any help clarifying this mess would be greatly appreciated - a sheynem dank in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 317 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:11 am
@MChriswood,
I doubt that it's a dialect, per se. It sounds to me more like it's an accent. Or it could potentially be both.

An accent is the sound of people (e. g. a Boston accent). A dialect is grammatical differences (e. g. y'all versus youse). See: http://dialectblog.com/2011/01/28/dialect-vs-accent/

Different accents and even dialects for Yiddish were bound to spring up as the language is cobbled together from Hebrew and High Middle German, but then it spread to Jews throughout Central Europe. Ashkenazi Jews would speak Yiddish (whereas Sephardim would speak Ladino or Lusitanic if they were in Portugal). Immigration plays a part, too. I have cousins from Poland who immigrated to not the US, but Mexico. Hence they speak Yiddish and Spanish and English.

With your friend, there may also be differences because he may have learned to speak the language as a child and in an informal manner, rather than with textbooks and conjugations.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Yiddish Dialects
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:20:58