President Obama's Daughter

gollum

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 01:55 pm
I read that one of President Obama's daughters given name is Sasha. I have also read that the girl's actual given name is Natasha.

Why would the president and his wife choose a Russian name for their daughter?

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 01:58 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
Why would the president and his wife choose a Russian name for their daughter?

Because they are communists? (in Soviet Russia daughter names you!)

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:04 pm
@gollum,
People name their children for any number of reasons. The child might have been named after a close friend who had died or even an ancestor on either side. Or maybe they heard the name and felt it was beautiful.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:05 pm
@gollum,
It is actually N'tkasha... which is a Swahili word that can best be translated as "Muslim Atheist".
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:08 pm
Anyhow, "the president and his wife" didn't choose a "Russian name" for their daughter, because (1) He wasn't the President in 2001 when she was born (2) Natasha has been popular outside Russia for around 100 years, especially in Britain and the USA.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:09 pm
is this "Russian name" thing one of those false news stories that got Trump elected?
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:12 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is actually N'tkasha... which is a Swahili word that can best be translated as "Muslim Atheist".

Did you make this up?
gollum

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:22 pm
@contrex,
contrex-

No. I am an ordinary U.S. citizen. I sometimes agree with President Obama's positions and sometimes differ with them.

I was ignorant as to why the Barack Obama and his wife would choose a Russian name for their daughter.

I also wondered why as her name (I thought) is Natasha) why the U.S. president would refer to her as Sasha.

I admit that I may make mistakes of fact or logic. However, I think it is the purpose of this website to allow people like myself to communicate and learn from others.
gollum

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:26 pm
@contrex,
contrex-

Thank you.

I swear I did not make anything up though I admit I may make mistakes of fact and/or logic.

I thank you and the other participants on their website for their help in teaching me about this (very confusing) world.
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 03:01 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
I also wondered why as her name (I thought) is Natasha) why the U.S. president would refer to her as Sasha.

Why not? People do this all the time. Very often a child will be known by a name other than the one on their birth certificate. An affectionate or convenient shortening - Bobby for Robert, Jimmy for James, etc. Pet or family names can be the young child's first effort to say their own name (sometimes this can stick for the whole of their life). I know a Sheba who is known to everyone as Sheebs. I myself am known by a name not on my birth certificate (not Contrex, by the way).

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 03:03 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
I swear I did not make anything up

I know you didn't. When I wrote "Did you make this up?" I was replying to maxancona about the Swahili thing, about which I am very doubtful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@gollum,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_(name)

Quote:
Sasha is a unisex given name. It originated in countries of Eastern and Southern Europe

Quote:
This name is especially common in Europe where it is used by males and females as a diminutive of Alexander and Alexandra.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/sasha

Quote:
Sasha has been bestowed as an independent given name since it was introduced from France in the 20th century.

http://www.biblical-baby-names.com/meaning-of-sasha.html

Quote:
Derived From Alexander

Quote:
The Biblical baby name Alexander is Greek in origin and it's meaning is defender of men or brave.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

My basis for thinking her name is Natasha is in wikipedia.org (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama#Malia_Obama_and_Sasha_Obama):

Barack and Michelle Obama have two daughters: Malia Ann[7][8] /məˈliːə/, born July 4, 1998,[9] and Natasha (known as Sasha /ˈsɑːʃə/), born on June 10, 2001.[10]
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Facebook news? Laughing

(BTW, if this gets around to Sasha, we're not making fun of YOU or your father.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 07:48 pm
There's absolutely no reason not to name a child with any name that the parents deem sounds lovely or which has some connotation that they respond to. Russian, Japanese, African, Dutch... origin is of no importance whatsoever. I wanted to name my daughter Petunia, thinking that we might have a second who I'd name Gloxinia. Then we'd have Petunia Junia and Gloxinia Senia. Wife didn't agree so we went with Sherry because my wife liked the word/name.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:49 am
My name means leader of Jews, I am neither Jewish or leader of them. My parents liked the name.
sherry2013

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:08 am
@gollum,
You'd better ask Obama
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:49 am
@Ceili,
Ceili-

Thank you.

What is the name that means leader of Jews?
contrex

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:18 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Ceili-

Thank you.

What is the name that means leader of Jews?

Well, I don't think it's Ceili, which is a Gaelic girl's name meaning 'slender'.
0 Replies