monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
This will be a test of whether America's institutions and culture are sufficient to withstand the sort of assault that's underway. I have some optimism in this, though not a lot of it.
Baldimo

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:20 pm
@blatham,
The assault has been taking place for 8 years. When you choose to not work with the other elected officials in govt and decide to rule via the "phone and pen" method, you have assaulted the institution of govt. Obama was not a fan of checks and balances.
cicerone imposter

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:32 pm
@Baldimo,
When you have a gridlock congress, the president has no other choice.
Don't forget, McConnell said he's going to make Obama a one term president. It didn't work out for him, did it?
blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, ci, what McConnell said was this:
Quote:
The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

Power. Everything is to the end of gaining, maintaining, increasing power.
georgeob1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:57 pm
The Inauguration is tomorrow. There appears to be a small wave of last minute sour grapes from the Democrat posters here, along with expressed concerns from folks in the departing administration, and some Democrat officeholders, about the readiness of the Trump Team and action they might take. Cicerone reports the DJIA was down 100 pts yesterday ( never mind that it and the market are still up 10% from their immediate preelection low) Expressions of anxiety from Europe as well about policy statements from Trump about Israel and the Middle East. ( but not in any way acknowledging the awful trajectory of the situation in the Middle East over the past several years.)

A great deal will likely be revealed in the weeks and months ahead about the wisdom & effectiveness ( or lack thereof) of the new administration. We will also likely see some of the effects of the reality of relative Republican and Democrat voting power in both Houses in Congress, as opposed to some of the self-inflated posturing that Senator Schumer has been issuing lately.

The sky will not fall in, and both sides will undoubtedly see (or claim to see) vindication of some favorite talking points, as well as a few setbacks. Beyond that we can hope for some restoration of comity in the Congress and increased confidence in the nation. We may also find out if Trump has the wisdom to alter his style on social media.
0 Replies

giujohn

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:06 pm
           http://livehdwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Proud-To-Be-An-American-Pictures-Photos.jpg

The difference between liberals and me.

Taking a break from A2K to experience this Inauguration.
McGentrix

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:07 pm
@giujohn,
That does seem to be the case. Remember when Obama won and we were basically told to be quiet, the voters had spoke?
maporsche

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

That does seem to be the case. Remember when Obama won and we were basically told to be quiet, the voters had spoke?

And do you remember how quiet you guys all were? Those were the times. You NEVER complained about anything Obama did, for a whole 8 years.

Too bad people aren't following your example.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:05 pm
There may be bad days ahead for many Americans. As I feel I owe something to this very disturbed country, I am in the process of designing an easy-to-construct citizen weapon. I've named it the Frog-a-pult.

The concept utilizes the dynamic principles of the catapult and leap frog. Imagine a large catapult firing a smaller catapult which after release and now travelling at speed, itself fires the payload like a stone or perhaps something similar like Ann Coulter's adam's apple. We now have Ann's body part moving at Whoosh2. With an even larger version, we could have all of Ann as payload. Just imagine. Whoosh -> Whoosh2 -> splat.

Because I love America.
ossobucotemp

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:28 pm
@blatham,
I take it that was sympathy.

I've lived my life with atomic weapons as part of it. Not funny, and I was a child.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:30 pm
Bikers for Trump kickin some radical commie ass BIGTIME on the streets of Washington tomorrow. This will be the mother of all beatdowns!

It's gunna ROCK!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:03 pm
@blatham,
We in the US also removed indian kids from their families to be reeducated, but we never committed the sin of reparations. That would admit to doing wrong.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:08 pm
@Lash,
Quit complaining. You got what you wanted and worked so hard to get. tRump.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Baldy is a blatant lair CI. Everybody knows that.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:28 pm
@blatham,
Well being a US citizen who did not vote for tRump, I'm frightened as hell.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:36 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I'll play along just to entertain an old man.

Just a tidbit of advice, I don't know how old you are chronologically, but if you are lucky enough to reach your 80's and still travel, live independently and maintain dozens of friendships with folks on a discussion forum you will be a lucky boy. You just appear to be a sorehead, I'll take CI and his research over your opinion every time. Frankly, you are what they used to call a buzz kill.
wmwcjr

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:07 am
@glitterbag,
I am amazed at how much CI has accomplished in his life. He puts me to shame.
glitterbag

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:15 am
@wmwcjr,
You're right, and it pisses me off when people ridicule older people. My mother was diagnosed with Altzheimers at age 58, it robbed her of all potentential and her ability to enjoy her grandchildren, her friends and all the things most of us take for granted. Only %#€£?#= use terms like old man or old woman to attempt to diminish others.
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:15 am
Trump yesterday on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
Quote:
“It’s a movement like we’ve never seen anywhere in the world, they say.”

What to make of something like that? Either he actually believes it or he knows he's telling a big lie. If he does believe it, then he's certifiably insane. If he doesn't, which I think is the case, he's doing bald-faced propaganda.

He's said this before, of course, but it's notable he's still saying it the day before the inauguration. Ten to one he says it again today.

The key notion in that is "movement" modified by claims that it is the biggest, most important example of that thing worldwide throughout history. What's he hoping to achieve by repeating this? Solidarity and enthusiasm in his followers, certainly. But also it seems to be an attempt to bully reality into a shape he wants. He obviously wants to be deemed uniquely worthy of worship. By everyone - citizens, press, other nations.

So it doesn't really matter if he believes this notion. Either way, he's a dangerous lunatic.
layman

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:
he's a dangerous lunatic.

DANGEROUS, I TELLZYA!

A LUNATIC, I TELLZYA!
0 Replies