monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:59 am
Propaganda device #1 - Repeat the Lie
Quote:
Glenn Kessler ‏@GlennKesslerWP 17h17 hours ago
Priebus today: "This man won in an electoral landslide." We have noted before this is false. Rank is 46 out of 58.
Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 08:45 am
@Frugal1,
No, thats your MO. All the"Trumped up" stories of Hillary and child prostitution , killing Vince Foster, killing Scalia.
These are not baldfce LIES??
You are delusional.

Meanhile the Trump baldface lies ON CAMERA. So are you that stupid too?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Olivier5

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 08:52 am
@Frugal1,
Nazi Germany was that country.
Frugal1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 08:53 am
@Olivier5,
0bama adopted their tactics.
Olivier5

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 08:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman to Frug wrote:

are you that stupid?

I trust that's a rhetorical question...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 08:55 am
@Frugal1,
No, evidently you did.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 09:51 am
‘They’ll be beautifully covered’: Trump vows to insure everybody in his Obamacare replacement plan

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:39 am
@Olivier5,
Trump threatens German carmakers with 35 percent U.S. import tariff
Quote:
Trump called Germany a great car producer, saying Mercedes-Benz cars were a frequent sight in New York, but claimed there was not enough reciprocity. Germans were not buying Chevrolets at the same rate, he said, calling the business relationship an unfair one-way street.

Chevrolet sales have fallen sharply in Europe since parent company General Motors (GM.N) in 2013 said it would drop the Chevrolet brand in Europe by the end of 2015. Since then, GM has focused instead on promoting its Opel and Vauxhall marques.
cicerone imposter

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump doesn't understand comparative advantage, a simple concept learned in Economics 101. He claims he attended Wharton, but he doesn't seem to have learned much.
georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Nonsewnse. The concept is well known and widely understood, just as is the concept of private property. It is simple greed that flies in the face of the real application of free trade principles.

Moreover concepts, such as free trade, are just that, abstract concepts. They work perfectly in an abstract conceptual world. The real world we live in is far more complex. There are many ways to get special advantage in a "free trade" scenario. One is to tie your principal export market to your own currency, thereby distorting one aspect of the comparitive advantage model. It's called the Euro.
Debra Law

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:57 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Some labor secretary, this boy.
Quote:
At first, Andrew F. Puzder’s California story sounds like one of the state’s sunny dreams come true: Midwestern lawyer stumbles into burger business, nurses storied chain back to health, wins industry plaudits and record profits.

But Mr. Puzder became an outspoken critic of his adopted state because of its vigorous workplace regulations. The mandatory rest breaks required by California made no sense, he felt, leaving restaurants understaffed when a rush of customers came in. His company paid millions of dollars to settle class-action lawsuits that accused it of cheating workers.

He spoke out against labor laws intended to benefit hourly workers like the ones who serve shakes and mop floors at Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s, the chains he runs.

“California has gone really from being this golden state, the state of opportunity, to being a kind of nanny state,” he said in 2009. “You can’t be a capitalist in this state.
NYT
Yeah. Capitalism is dead in California. You just never see it there anymore. It's Karl Marx top to bottom.

Apparently, what this jerk means by "capitalism" is the totally-unfettered-by-government-regulations definition.

The key ugliness here (aside from the guy's greed and selfishness) is the presumption and ideology that "freedom" is to be found only where income-generating operations have over-arching control of government along with its laws and regulations.

But unions are instruments of freedom. They allow employees to organize and fight for their freedom from conditions of servitude.

Similarly, Ben Carson refers to persons as "human capital". If persons are not fueling the engine of capitalism in a manner that allows the capitalist "owners" to gain the most profit, then they are part of the "load". In other words, "we the people" are slaves and any laws or regulations designed to make our lives better must be overturned or rewritten for the benefit of the owners.

The very poor, the old, and the sick are a part of that unacceptable load. The working poor should be thankful to be employed and should not dare to ask for work breaks or better wages because, without labor protections laws, there would exist a large supply of poor people to replace disgruntled workers.
layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:15 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Note to participants here:

Two or three individuals (frugal and layman are two) consistently give my posts thumbs down regardless of what I might post.

Feel free to counter their trolling with an up vote for my posts (where you deem that worthy) and a down vote for theirs (where you deem it deserved).

Are you kidding? I don't vote anyone down, ever. If I disagree with something said, and think it's worth addressing, I will make a comment on it.

Voting down is chickenshit. I guess that explains why you are concerned about it, eh?

Occasionally, but rarely, I will vote a post up, if I really like it. But, there again, I will generally express my approval in a comment, not anonymously.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Note to participants here:

Two or three individuals (frugal and layman are two) consistently give my posts thumbs down regardless of what I might post.

Feel free to counter their trolling with an up vote for my posts (where you deem that worthy) and a down vote for theirs (where you deem it deserved).

How do you know who is doing it? I have grown accustomed to seeing negative scores on nearely all of my posts, as I expect also have Layman and Frugal. I simply assume it is way for some to strike back without the chore of thinking about the issues and move on.

Instead you complain. Why?
layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:28 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

How do you know who is doing it? I have grown accustomed to seeing negative scores on nearely all of my posts, as I expect also have Layman and Frugal. I simply assume it is way for some to strike back without the chore of thinking about the issues and move on.

Instead you complain. Why?

Or without the "chore" of making an illogical rebuttal which can easily be destroyed and cause embarrassment, eh? Better to stay in the woodwork, like a cockroach, and snipe, rather than risk confrontation, if you're a cheese-eating coward.

Other than children themselves, who bothers with these childish popularity contests, I wonder?

I guess one answer to that question is "Blathy cares," eh? But, then again, who says he isn't a child?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:33 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
One is to tie your principal export market to your own currency, thereby distorting one aspect of the comparitive advantage model. It's called the Euro.
Well, another is the US-Dollar ... ... ... or the European Currency Unit, the unit of account of the European Community since the 1970's before being replaced by the Euro in 1999.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I feel the need to apologize to Germany and to the world for Trump. Hopefully he is just allowed to mouth off and is kept reigned in by cabinet picks who seemed to have disagreed with him a lot.
georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:48 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Or without the "chore" of making an illogical rebuttal which can easily be destroyed and cause embarrassment, eh? Better to stay in the woodwork, like a cockroach, and snipe, rather than risk confrontation, if you're a cheese-eating coward.

Other than children themselves, who bothers with these childish popularity contests, I wonder?

I guess one answer to that question is "Blathy cares," eh? But, then again, who says he isn't a child?

I find it odd that he throws these rocks at other posters who themselves get far more negative "thumbs" than those he is complaining about, and does so without any way of verifying his opinion.

Perhaps he believes that he , alone, deserves better treatment than he is getting.
glitterbag

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:15 pm
@georgeob1,
wow, George. Just wow.