monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Perhaps so. However it is demonstrably true.

It's a meaningless and valueless formulation. "Everyone breaks the law sometimes". Demonstrably true. Therefore, what? Charles Manson is to be regarded as in the same category as yourself?
georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:19 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps so. However it is demonstrably true.

It's a meaningless and valueless formulation. "Everyone breaks the law sometimes". Demonstrably true. Therefore, what? Charles Manson is to be regarded as in the same category as yourself?

Well I nope not. However, I note that in this instances the differences are in the perceived characters of the men involved, and not their relative circumstances.

In short, to use time honored Catholic termonology you are assuming that the existence of opportunity and temptation makes sin inevitable, and that virtue lies only in the absence of those things. I'm suggesting the opposite: that if one has great power, opportunity can always be created and only personal virture (and direct enforcement) prevents sin.

My example of Maduro in Venezuela is entirely apt here.

There is some statistical merit in your suggestion; a man living nest to a brothel may be more likely to lie with a whore than another, but we (and other countries) have only one president at a time and we choose them based on their perceived chasracters. Some choices are later found to have been wise: some not.
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
This is fun. One kind of dude recognizing another dude of the same kind.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan congratulates Trump for putting that CNN reporter "in his place". Link
georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is fun. One kind of dude recognizing another dude of the same kind.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan congratulates Trump for putting that CNN reporter "in his place". Link

They have much more in comon than that: They both breathe, eat, sleep, etc. and they both prefer friendly questions from reporters to hostile ones.

However, to my knowledge, neither has been caught coordinating questions in advance, as did our esteemed Democrat Presidential Candidatte.
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:28 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I'm suggesting the opposite: that if one has great power, opportunity can always be created and only personal virture (and direct enforcement) prevents sin.

That's the same formulation (everyone who might sit in the WH has an equal potential for corruption). That's obviously false as our present situation demonstrates. No other president ever has been so entangled in business affairs around the world. No one has come close.

As to "personal virtue". "Trump" is not a sane answer to the question, "Who has demonstrated a life marked by "virtue"? As to "enforcement" - who is going to be doing that?
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
They have much more in comon than that: They both breathe, eat, sleep, etc. and they both prefer friendly questions from reporters than hostile ones.

You are no longer a serious person, george. Increasingly, you are moving into troll territory. This is a dishonest answer. Everyone in office prefers a friendly question. The only measure that has importance is whether or how that person will proceed with the fact of or the prospect of challenging questions. The authoritarian type operates in understood and predictable ways - refusing to answer, bullying, punishing whoever asked it, etc.
georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:38 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
I'm suggesting the opposite: that if one has great power, opportunity can always be created and only personal virture (and direct enforcement) prevents sin.

That's the same formulation (everyone who might sit in the WH has an equal potential for corruption). That's obviously false as our present situation demonstrates. No other president ever has been so entangled in business affairs around the world. No one has come close.

As to "personal virtue". "Trump" is not a sane answer to the question, "Who has demonstrated a life marked by "virtue"? As to "enforcement" - who is going to be doing that?

I'm simply stating the obvious truth. Given the powers of the President a degree of corrupti9on is available to any who wisheds to use that power for a corrupt purpose. The Clintons have amply demonstrated the truth of that Proposition. (see my comments above about the sudden post election demise of the Ckinton World Initiative).

You are confusing your forecasts of future behavior with the truth, and postulating your own conclusion.

Hillary certainly brought an equivalent wordwide network involving the foundation with her. Moreover, she had already amply demonstrated her willingness to conflate the foundation with her official role in the State Dept- as did Bill his former role in the White House. I didn't see any commentary on these connections from you, before her inept and underhanded campign ended in failure.

Many leaders and presidents have surprised an even far greater number of analysts and forecasters. Much has been written by philosophers and historians about virtue among people in leadership positions. Machiavelli addresses that, as does Thucydities and many others. You should consult them.
ossobucotemp

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:41 pm
@blatham,
Yes. I'm overjoyed. Apparently after he could not get back in after whatever stoppage, he changed his name to stickystan but we didn't notice, for which I near weep. He tried, if you look up stickystan history.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Hillary certainly brought an equivalent wordwide network involving the foundation with her.

Completely careless in thought. There is nothing like an equivalence in scope/magnitude nor in type/purpose of operations.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:05 pm
Let us remind ourselves what Trump suggested as a proper course of action for all to take when he believed that McCain had won the popular vote but lost the EC.

Quote:
Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!

As a man of sterling integrity and virtue, he will again support such activism in defense of that cherished democracy he has fought all his life to preserve and uplift. He is just that sort of man. Likewise, his followers.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:05 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You are no longer a serious person, george. Increasingly, you are moving into troll territory. This is a dishonest answer. Everyone in office prefers a friendly question. The only measure that has importance is whether or how that person will proceed with the fact of or the prospect of challenging questions. The authoritarian type operates in understood and predictable ways - refusing to answer, bullying, punishing whoever asked it, etc.

I don't accept that, however you are free to characterize me as you may wish. You can also put me on ignore as well, if you wish.

Clearly you consider yourself to be a most serious person. Just what are the characteristics that make that so in your view? It appears to me that you blithely forgive your own logical solecisms even as you accuse others of of being 'unserious' . Strange.

Every officeholder and candidate prefers a friendly question, but in the last election only Hillary was getting advance word on them and even planting her own for the friedly media. Odd that you don't comment on that.

Authoriatarians come in many forms. Obama is one. Trump in contrast appears unusually willing to surround himself with independent voices, not mere sycophants. That's not very authoritarian. Perhaps you are oversimplifying a more complex matter than you admit.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:12 pm
Just like a commie to think that they are giving you something if they don't take ALL of your money, eh?

When told that Trump will give hotel profits to the government, Blathy objects that he will get tax deductions for doing so. What's that tellya?

Say one of Trump's companies reports $100 million in profits, but deducts $10 million which it gave the government from that total, reducing it to $90 million and then pays taxes on that sum.

That's not good enough for a commie. They want him to voluntarily, with no obligation to do so, GIVE the U.S. $10 mllion AND pay taxes on the amount he gave too, eh?

If you give me $10, I will tax you for the privilege of giving it, so you'll have to pay me $13.50. Anything else would be "unfair," eh?

cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:19 pm
@layman,
A commie? LOL. Never learned about free speech?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:44 pm
And now, for the latest in our "Americans Who Aren't ******* Things Up" feature series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUfKJjo2zU
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 06:16 pm
I have spent the last hour watching Diamond and silk on You Tube. I haven't laughed that much in a while. Where did these two come from? I looked around the net and find that they are from North Carolina but can't find much on them back beyong the past six or so months. The comedy, irony and content are really good and the message hits home.
layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:16 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I have spent the last hour watching Diamond and silk on You Tube. I haven't laughed that much in a while. The comedy, irony and content are really good and the message hits home.

Yeah, those Babes ROCK, eh, George!? They aint stupid, and they aint takin no **** from nobody.
georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:51 pm
@layman,
As far as I can find out they're amateurs and this is their own shtick. Their material appears to be spontaneous and goes right to the-heart of the matter on every point. Their delivery is wonderful & interactions hilarious. Real talent, refreshing candor. I love it !
layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah, as far as I know, they were smitten by Trump and his message during the very first primary debate, and began making their little home-made videos for their friends to see.

They are now virtually "famous," and appear on talk shows, and even with Trump at (at least one of) his rallies. What started out as just a sincere expression of their beliefs has turned into a "big business" and, from what I've heard, they're actually making a lot of money out of it now.

Loyalty and sincerity often has an unexpected pay-off, I figure.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:12 pm
I've just set up a web-cam thing and I've posted my first home video. It's titled, "Whoa. Steady that animal."