Does being shy equal lack of self-esteem?

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:45 pm
What are you general thoughts about people who are shy. Is shyness even related to self-esteem? Could shyness just be that some one is more reserved?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,206 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm
Interesting question, Linkat.

I'm pretty shy in social situations but I don't think I'm reserved and I don't think I suffer from low self esteem either.

I don't know what causes me to be shy.

I do know that it takes me a long time to warm up to most people I meet but once in a great while I will meet someone who I feel like I've known forever and shyness doesn't interfere.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Boomerang - could it be lack of trust of others that makes you shy in social situations? Maybe that is why someone you feel you've known forever does not make you feel shy.

I was wondering about this because my daughter received her first report card and even though she is rated as average under self-esteem, the teacher wrote next to it - she still acts a little shy. I just personally never associated self-esteem with shyness and my daughter certainly does not lack self-esteem (not that the teacher rated her low in it). The lack of trust would make sense for my daughter too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:26 pm
I think its a little more complicated than trust, for me, anyway.

I've always been very insular, able to keep myself occupied and entertained without a lot of outside stimulation. The concept of "lonely" is totally foreign to me. In fact, it is just difficult to be around other people, it seems very demanding.

I know in this day and age they treat "shyness" as a disease and "self-esteem" as the holy grail. I read an article linking shyness with Asperger's Syndrome - which can be mild or severe - and it just made me shake my head in dismay.

There isn't anything wrong with shyness in my book.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 04:46 pm
I don't think I have a self-esteem problem, but I can be very shy. At other times, I am not shy at all and am comfortable in any environment. I think it's chemical and I will be looking into medication sometime soon. It's worse right now because I'm not socially active. But my self-esteem is quite high. It's inflated sometimes.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
I think shyness is a personality trait that reveals
itself very early on. Could it just be part of being
introverted rather than extrovert? Personally, I
am drawn to those who are quieter. I relate
to all that boomerang says.
0 Replies