Rock ID / Iron ore ID

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:37 pm
http://imgur.com/a/kmgnw
I found a huge deposit of these rocks near a Magnetite deposit. Initially, I thought it was Limonite because it does not respond to a magnet like the Magnetite, it's shape is similar to the Magnetite I've been finding and due to its yellow colour. I was surprised to find that its streak is yellow on the outer layer but red on the cross section, which led me to believe that it's Hematite, I'm still not sure though.
Hematite, Limonite or Magnetite?

(I'm looking for iron ore for my next bloomery project, my main hobby is blacksmithing)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:22 am
@silverfox976,
hematite is a good assumption to start with. Since you found it in association with a MAgnetite ore body, it could be a kind of pseudomorphic form like Martite after the Magnetite drystals (Im not sure on the streak of that one but I can give you the d spacing if youve an X ray handy) The various 'bog ores" can have layering of different components (limonite,
goethite, lepidocrocite).
They have ornge and yellow streaks too.

If you smack an break one, does it show a fibrous structure??
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:27 am
@silverfox976,
Ive tried a hand at bloomery . One of my students (years ago) was working on his masters in iron "solid solutions" and e had months and months of making forsterite and fayallite in an iron bloomery.
Ive always wanted to try some hand blacksmithing using bog ores from Lower Delmarva peninsula (there were a number of iron forges near Berlin or Nasawango Md).
Do you make stuff with the iron bloom? or do you refine it further?

Cool stuff.
Does some iron oxide work better in a bloomery than others?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:29 am
@silverfox976,
I hope you're going to visit this site again. Have you made any implements using your iron blooms? Were you able to refine the iron to make steel or other mix??
0 Replies