I mean, like, really....

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 03:46 am
What is up with these pompous, pretentious pontificatin, pedantic, politically-correct, "progressive" pansies, anyway?

They like to call themselves "social justice warriors," eh?

Others might call them snowflakes.

I call them candy-ass cheese-eaters.

What's up with them, exactly, ya figure?

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 05:52 am
@layman,
Unlike trumps whiney ass supporters, I beleve that we follow ALL of the Constitutional Amendments.

Looks like Der Donald is already trying to screw with those by which he feels particularly constrained.

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 05:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Looks like Der Donald is already trying to screw with those by which he feels particularly constrained.

Like who would that be, eh, Farmer, and how is he "screwing" with them, ya think?
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:07 am
@layman,
Why in his acts of commission of course , where he indicates by his actions(and those of his regime's hench-persons) that he shall try to remold the first and redefine the fourth and fifth.

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

he shall try to remold the first and redefine the fourth and fifth.

"Redefine?" What part(s)? How?

If he is in any way trying to repeal the right to tell the cops ya aint talkin, I will oppose him in a heartbeat.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 07:42 am
@layman,
Long time no see, the place ain't the same widoutcha. Welcome back.
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 07:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Hey, Leddy! Zup, homey? My time here probably aint long, but, good to see ya, even briefly.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 08:10 am
@layman,
Hope it ain't noth'n life threaten'n.
All good here. Keep keep'n it real man.
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 08:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Hope it ain't noth'n life threaten'n.

Naw, it aint nuthin like that, Leddy. I've been banned here for months. The "reasons" for that ban haven't disappeared. The hamsters here just don't like my ass, ya know?
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 09:00 am
a2k could, I suppose, program things so that all of my posts were preceded by a "trigger warning" and somewhat protect the cupcakes and buttercups that way. But that would probably be completely inadequate and fail to exterminate the danger.

Snowflakes (aka candy-ass cheese-eaters) need, demand, and deserve "safe spaces." I'm not quite sure what those are, but, as I understand it, these are places where they are guaranteed that no one will be allowed to utter a viewpoint that disagrees with their own. How else can their acute sensitivities be "respected?"

I suspect that a2k will never attract the maximum number of participants unless and until it has a universal reputation for being a "safe space," know what I'm sayin?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 09:04 am
@layman,
To the two white boys trying to sound like hip- hop artists
Why not go for the Swedish Chef or Newfie accents.
Of course, you could go for a New Orleans (NAWLINS) patoi , you can make believe youre cajun.
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:04 am
@farmerman,
Just answer the damn question, eh, Farmer? To wit:

"Redefine?" What part(s)? How?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:14 am
I originally asked: "What's up with them, exactly, ya figure?"

Is this a matter of politics? Of philosophy? Psychology? Character?

Since no one responded to my question, I tried to do a little research on my own. Turns out there's some old-ass guy named Fred Nietzsche who had some thoughts on this kinda thing over 100 years ago....
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:27 am
Not sure how much you can rely on wiki, but, according to this article, Fred said there are two kinds of morality, which he called "master" and "slave" morality. What's that about? Well, it seems....

"For Nietzsche, a particular morality is inseparable from the formation of a particular culture, meaning that a culture's language, codes and practices, narratives, and institutions are informed by the struggle between these two moral structures...

Nietzsche defined master morality as the morality of the strong-willed...The essence of master morality is nobility. Other qualities that are often valued in master morality are open-mindedness, courage, truthfulness, trust, and an accurate sense of one's self-worth. Master morality begins in the 'noble man' with a spontaneous idea of the good, then the idea of bad develops as what is not good. "The noble type of man experiences itself as determining values...For strong-willed men, the 'good' is the noble, strong, and powerful, while the 'bad' is the weak, cowardly, timid, and petty.

As master morality originates in the strong, slave morality originates in the weak. Because slave morality is a reaction to oppression, it vilifies its oppressors. Slave morality is the inverse of master morality....

Slave morality does not aim at exerting one's will by strength but by careful subversion. It does not seek to transcend the masters, but to make them slaves as well....the weak gain power by corrupting the strong into believing that the causes of slavery are 'evil', as are the qualities they originally could not choose because of their weakness. By saying humility is voluntary, slave morality avoids admitting that their humility was in the beginning forced upon them by a master.

According to Nietzsche, ancient Greek and Roman societies were grounded in master morality. The Homeric hero is the strong-willed man, and the classical roots of the Iliad and Odyssey exemplified Nietzsche's master morality. He calls the heroes "men of a noble culture."...Weakness conquered strength, slave conquered master, re-sentiment conquered sentiment. This ressentiment Nietzsche calls "priestly vindictiveness," which is based on the jealous weak seeking to enslave the strong and thus erode the basis for power itself by pulling the powerful down.... Nietzsche saw democracy and Christianity as the same emasculating impulse which sought to make everyone equal by making everyone a slave.

Nietzsche did not necessarily believe that everyone should adopt master morality as the "be-all, end-all" behavior. He believed that the revaluation of morals would correct the inconsistencies in both master and slave moralities. But he asserted that for the individual, master morality was preferable to slave morality."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master%E2%80%93slave_morality

Maybe this Nietzsche guy was on to something, eh? Then again, maybe not.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:55 am
Although Fred frames this in terms of "morality," it seems that he's kinda sayin it's a function of individual psychology, where people with different personality traits (or circumstances) want to glorify those values which reflect their own nature.

A strong, brave, and self-secure man will tend to say that courage, strength, truthfulness, openness are "good."

A weak, cowardly, and insecure man will say that excessive "caution," humbleness, and devious ways of expressing themselves are "good."

"“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.” (Seneca)

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
To the two white boys trying to sound like hip- hop artists
You call'n us a cupala Oreos honkey?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:11 pm
I guess that what Fred called "slave morality" was something he also referred at times as "herd morality."

"Herd morality is a development of the original slave morality which inherits most of its content, including a reinterpretation of various traits: impotence becomes goodness of heart, craven fear becomes humility, submission becomes ‘obedience’, cowardice and being forced to wait become patience, the inability to take revenge becomes forgiveness, the desire for revenge becomes a desire for justice, a hatred of one’s enemy becomes a hatred of injustice (Genealogy of Morals I §14)"

http://documents.routledge-interactive.s3.amazonaws.com/9781138793934/A2/Nietzsche/NietzscheHerdMorality.pdf

Pretty convenient, actually.

"CHRISTIAN, n: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbors.” (Ambroze Bierce)

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:24 pm
More from Fred:

"This morality values what has no intrinsic value, and very often endangers what is of much greater value, viz. human greatness. Greatness requires suffering, danger, self-love, inequality, it goes against what is in the interests of people in general and is an expression of instinctual energy. ‘Well-being’ in herd morality limits human beings, promoting people who are modest, submissive and conforming. And so it opposes the development of higher people, it slanders their will to power and labels them evil. Belief in its values limits people who could become higher people, leading them to self-doubt and self-loathing...Equality and democracy are instincts of ‘the herd’ (§202), values that favour the unexceptional and mediocre. They do not recognise and respect the exceptional."

As one guy noted: ""When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Jonathan Swift).

Might help explain the hatred of Trump, I dunno.....

Me, I just want a medal for "participation." Keeping score just aint no fair.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 01:05 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I guess that what Fred called "slave morality" was something he also referred at times as "herd morality."
Old Fred came to some questionable final conclusions but along the way he really nailed some good points. That sure was one of them.

I lost sight of the herd so long ago I forgot what proper bovine even looks like. Saw a few strays huddling together for the company here and there but they might have been badgers. Gave me the hair eye as I went by
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 01:50 pm
Is there something "immoral" about being a coward? I guess not. They can't help themselves, I suppose.

But are they "respectable?"

I don't think so. Homey don't play dat.

0 Replies