Can we be sure technology is used for good?

kulatay

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:43 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from Reference to Philosophy & Debate.

How can we make sure that technology is used by its developers to help man and not destroy him? For example, is the technology of atom still good if it is also used to destroy cities and men, like in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,332 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:18 am
Re: Can we be sure technology is used for good?
kulatay wrote:
How can we make sure that technology is used by its developers to help man and not destroy him?

We can't, because the people who'd do the sure-making would have their own political agenda, and there's no particular reason to believe they would end up doing what we want them to do.

kulatay wrote:
For example, is the technology of atom still good if it is also used to destroy cities and men, like in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

On the other hand Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have been just as thoroughly with plain old phosphorous bombs, like Tokyo was. Moreover, nuclear technology has provided an abundant, CO2-free energy source, and it has arguably deterred the superpowers to let the Cold War turn into a hot one. Technology doesn't kill, people do. I don't know of any historic example where a technology has turned out to be a net harm to humanity.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:28 am
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking.... The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

Albert Einstein
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:12 pm
Depends, doesn't it? Medical tech is good. Technology contributing towards the human civilision is good and should be promoted. Weapons of high tech is the doom of menkind. Noctradamus said there's gonna be a nuclear holocaust in 2007. It is likely.

And look at Iraq. The way to stop the "mass-destruction" weapons is to use another sort of weapon. This is a circle that goes on and on and the final destination is the death of us all.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
And artificially made nutrients they add to your food are supposed to be good, and what do they do? They make 13 year olds look like 17 year olds. And pills have chemical substances in the plastic that aren't necessarily good for you. Technology comes with a terrible price: consequences. A lot of times, people don't think about the consequences--they have all the right stuff, the science, the ideas, the logic, yet, no common sense. They get so hyped up over making something special that they forget its potential.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:25 pm
Lucifer, have you ever wondered what "common sense" means?

Interesting thread kulatay.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:13 pm
Re: Can we be sure technology is used for good?
kulatay wrote:
How can we make sure that technology is used by its developers to help man and not destroy him? For example, is the technology of atom still good if it is also used to destroy cities and men, like in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

We cannot, technology itself is neither good nor evil.

It's only the hearts and desires of those who use it.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:50 am
common sense is bearing the consequences in mind and understanding it so you make the "right" choice. Unfortunately, it's not so common these days. It's probably a type of logic, but not in the sense of "scientific" or "mathematical" logic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:54 pm
Lucifer, my psych professor gave his minions a common sense test. I will never forget one of the questions was:

Are children who are born in the spring more knowledgable than those born in the fall? I, of course, put no based on what common sense might tell us. What a surprise to find out that as a whole, children born in the spring ARE more knowledgable because they start school earlier. (all things being equal, of course)
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:37 pm
Well, I do know I was born in the spring and my friend, who is born in fall went to school in the same year and class.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:42 pm
Lucifer, it may have to do with the fact that a child born in the spring gets to start school in the fall or summer, (whatever the age requires), while many children born in the fall wait until the next school term. That may vary from state to state in the US. We're talking public schools, now. I went to a private kindergarten at five....so that doesn't count.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:22 pm
Tough one might I add....
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:55 pm
No, that was public school--and neither of us were prodigial. Is that just in the US?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
Where are you from, Lucifer? I know that things have changed a great deal since I was a kid in the public school system in the USA, and the school year is far shorter here in Florida as we speak, but actually, the variables for "common sense" are multiple.

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" was propaganda to entice the colonies to seek independence from England. I think edgarblythe had a thread on that very subject.

I am so sorry if I have deviated from the original topic, but I think this is an important consideration.

As for technology, It's wonderful and it's horrible.

PoeticMisterE, love your handle.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
Canada (yeah, go ahead, ask about the polar bears and the beavers. Sorry you guys didn't know.). I didn't know they had summer school.
Besides common sense, the thing about technology being good and bad is becoming a common topic--it might almost be cliched. They're in games, stories and all sorts of media.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
Wow, Lucifer. There are a bunch of folks here from Canada. We all love them.

and remember, just because it's a cliche doesn't make it banal. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 06:45 am
No, I said almost. But I've already had my two cents. If anyone else has anything to say, I'll comment.
0 Replies

emeryville64

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:57 pm
all the american soldiers that didnt have to invade japan probably thought the atom was pretty useful
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:26 pm
Welcome to A2K, emery. You're right! Nagasaki, however, was unnecessary.
0 Replies

kulatay

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:10 am
Lucifer and letty
could you please add replies that is about the topic.
0 Replies