Why are so many racist Filipinos allowed into our countries?

x-mas

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 05:23 pm
The largest group of immigrants coming into Canada are Filipinos and large groups of Filipinos also immigrate to the United States. Many Filipinos are racist against Chinese, Korean, and Japanese people. In the Philippines a Filipino would address a Chinese taxi driver or a Chinese shop keeper as “instik” which is equivalent to a Caucasian person calling a Chinese person a “chink.” Filipinos also address a Chinese person not by his name but by his ethic race, that is, he is called “China.” This is equivalent to someone calling a Jewish person not by his name but always calling him “the Jew.”

In 1998 there was a nation-wide pogrom in Indonesia which resulted in the genocide of over 1,000 ethnic Chinese residents. The Indonesian gangs across the entire country had raped, beat, tortured, and murdered over 1,000 people of Chinese descent. Filipinos haven't massacred any Chinese people but Indonesia and the Philippines are neighboring countries and both Indonesians and Filipinos have the same racism.

Why does the Canadian and American governments let so many of these racist Filipino and Indonesian people into Canada and the United States?

Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 05:36 pm
@x-mas,
Trade you straight up for Trump
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 06:39 pm
I used to know a number of Filipinos. I didn't notice them being more or less depraved than anybody else.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 06:44 pm
I am not so sure they are all racist, though given the ways of most on earth, we do call each other names and yes, some of them are meant as racist, and some not meant that way.

We had a friend years ago that called the guy at the Chinese restaurant, to us, as "let's go eat at the Chinks". He was about twenty years older than me, Ms. Careful What You Call People, but I could tell they liked each other. Sometime before I met him, this friend's house caught on fire, badly, and wasn't renovated for about a year of rebuilding. The friend ate at the chinese restaurant almost every night for that whole year, at the least helped keep them in business, almost by himself, telling a lot of others about the place. This friend would be pushing ninety one of these days, were he still alive.

Sometimes this all has to do with who is doing the saying and what the tone of voice is. People of different cultural backgrounds can be friends, toss insults. Sometimes, very much not.

Me, I'm a Mick, I never lived in Boston so I'm not personally familiar with that being an insult name, but I'm aware of the history.
Sometimes groups take the insult name and play with it.
seac

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:08 pm
@x-mas,
Maybe the Filipinos that do come into our country feel like a discriminated against minority and as such, attack other minority groups out of anger. They sure wouldn't try that against the majority ethnic groups. What level jobs are the Filipinos taking? Where I live, there aren't problems with them, possibly because they have supportive relatives or friends as hosts or sponsors when they come here. They end up taking labor jobs, sometimes hard work. Good thing is we are not seeing them form into gangs like some other groups.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:16 pm
@seac,
When I was Audit Manager at Florsheim Shoes, I hired Filipinos because they were able to pass the test I gave all applicants on Accounting. Some people who claimed to have a Masters couldn't pass a simple test.
We now live in Silicon Valley in California. Many Filipinos work in the health industry here.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:20 pm
@seac,
In the seventies, I worked with a Filipina tech who bragged about looking like Imelda..
I liked her.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Did you have access to her 1,000 pairs of shoes? Wink
roger

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That is not something I would expect a woman to brag about.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
She didn't either, far as I know. Those were the years.. I do remember she was a good cook, me a cooking nut even back then. I was about to change careers, a big leap into landscape architecture and a pile of more schooling. I'm glad I did, but have some good memories re my laboratory life.

I don't want to go back and revisit, but the lab was pretty snappy in my last times there.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:39 pm
@roger,
My take, exactly.
She was also pretty, not the most useful thing for a woman in a back room, but probably helpful in life.
We didn't delve into politics, and, it now being long ago, I don't remember that she had any irony going. Not sure.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Good looks might get someone the job, but after that they (usually) have to perform.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:43 pm
@roger,
Some might be used as window dressing to bring in the men.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
re back room, that was where the usual sort of bloodwork was done, as differing from the more complicated immunology stuff. Not meant as a neg.

She was competent, no problemo.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not in our lab, an early clinical immunology lab, called back then CIL. Other businesses later.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well yes, some jobs are window dressing.
0 Replies

silverymoons62

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 09:29 am
@x-mas,
The sad reality is that most people from countries where one race predominates are probably racist. Most immigrant groups, regardless of race clump together, the old like, likes like thing. As future generations come along those generations are more willing merge with racially, ethnically, culturally stratified society and that is progress.
Miller

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Me, I'm a Mick...

Funny that you should be calling yourself a "Mick" ( slang for Irish). I can remember a few months ago, while you were talking to Snood, you told him that you were Hispanic and thus a minority. If you're Irish, you're not a minority and if you don't know what you are, why do you talk about it?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 02:29 pm
@Miller,
I don't think I would have said that I am hispanic. Maybe that I was thinking of studying spanish some more. Or that a large portion of my california friends are latino/latina. Do you have a link? I said I was a minority? You have me mixed up with someone else.

Meantime, both of my parents' family ancestors were from County Mayo, Ireland, except that someone back in another century or two was from Wales.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 02:32 pm
@silverymoons62,
The US is a multi-cultural nation, but we still have racists in this country. Even our president elect has a background of racial bigotry.
0 Replies