What to do, now that the world has been trumpted (pro + con, for full discussion)

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was generalizing, but nobody was sent to jail in all that fraud.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I gathered that many people thought they did qualify. Could be wrong, as I rarely follow finance as an devoted interest.

Meantime, Starbucks, never my favorite coffee place by a long shot - but I didn't quite hate it, as I could pick up the New York Times in my small town of the time - is having a shindig between many folks suddenly named Trump for their coffee cups, and recalcitrant baristas. Much explained here:
http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/11/trump-cup-starbucks-protest.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:55 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Many consumers thought they qualified because of the way those sales were promoted.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But you said they were also at fault..
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
True; many consumers spend more than they should. Credit card debt is also a big problem for many consumers.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-data/average-credit-card-debt-household/
Also, the cost of living outpaced income resulting in higher debt.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've long thought schools should give some clues about financial prudence, but in many cases the teachers (mine were nuns with vows of poverty, for my first thirteen years) weren't educated in these matters either, and most teachers in general, not just nuns were (not sure, but certainly many) trained in education as a major, at least up to university studies, and learning young can be of use.

Education on all that may be better now, given there is the internet, but I'm not clear that it is better.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:34 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I believe teachers are necessary, because there needs to be somebody there to answer questions. I was a tutor on Accounting at Cal State Hayward. That was a good learning experience for me, because you had to learn how to explain concepts in different ways to different students. Also, it's been my experience that talking with other students was a good learning experience.
When I worked at Florsheim Shoes, i was responsible to train Store Managers on the bookkeeping system. I learned early on to give them homework, and call them to answer questions on the board. Since none of them wanted to look stupid in front of other store managers, they studied hard, and learned their lessons. I had them closing the books in three days which usually took one week before my training.
I also had to train managers at other companies where I worked on Personnel Management, and was also responsible for developing company manuals on Personnel Management. I also volunteered at nonprofit companies in their Personnel Management Committees.
What was most enjoyable for me was working in management, and making presentations to the Board of Directors on budgets, salary and benefits.
I also volunteered in the Santa Clara Civil Grand Jury during the 2003-2004 term, and our committee wrote the most reports of any committee before us - averaging about three per month.
It was fun, because many from around the county with the right kind of experience also volunteered.

My wife just received a summons today to serve on jury duty.

0 Replies