"They also serve who only stand and wait."

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
Yes, I just put on Tony Bennett's version , my fave.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
My, my. I didn't realize that Tony B. had sung that. I need to check out other artists. The version that I just posted was by Harry Connick (sp)...a poor man's Frank Sinatra.

And since we're on a Brit kick (justified by the philosophy of music) we need to do A Foggy Day in London Town. Hey, I can play that one on the Pianer...heh heh!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
Those two go together...again my version is Tony's. As a matter of fact they're on a great CD called "Perfectly Frank" where tony sings Sinatra. Only on that comes close to Frank, in my estimation...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
The philosophy of music.

In creating, we find deeper meaning that lies somewhere between the mind and the heart. In that land of never, never, there is a spirit that often gives us a glimpse in the reversal of the mirror, but one that frees us for the moment to be who we are.

I can see London Town--I can sense Germany--even Asia and the Mid-East, tinkle with the sound of lightly sounding brass overshadowed by the spiraling of metal destruction.

Combine music, poetry, painting, and photographs and we have what the world may not be, but was meant to be.

Pragmatic, platonic, it is all the same. If I could combine the gods of Greece and Rome, they would become, not only monolithic, but also ephemeral.....................................................................................

Yes, panz. Those two go together--to the nth degree.

Technology is but another form of music, only a bit dissonant.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
When Tony Bennett sings the song, I think he pronounces Berkeley the English way.
Yes., he must do, it would not sound right the Calif way...am I right?

(You say tomato, and I say tomato....)

I wish I could play piano in that certain easy way...like who? Marvin Hamlisch when he accompanies Streisand? I don't know exactly who like, but I know what I like when I hear it. Song accompaniment is a special gift, where sometimes less is more.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
Right McTag-less is more and it's the space between the notes...that's why I listen to Bennets pianist a lot. They've worked together for so many years it's like one person singing and playing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:25 pm
" Part of the reason that Bennett can get away with these covers is that he is backed by his regulars, the Ralph Sharon Trio (Sharon on piano, Paul Langosch on bass, & Joe La Barbera drums). Consquently the arrangements are simpler, not competing with the familiar ones of Nelson Riddle or Gordon Jenkins, and allowing the recordings to focus on Bennett's voice as he adds his own touch to each of Sinatra's song. "Simply Sinatra" should be appreciated by fans of both singers.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
You know, McTag and panz. The wonderful part of music is that we hear it but don't see it. It's sort of like the wind. Sometimes stormy; sometimes gentle; but always there. Unless we hear the music in our heads, posting the lyrics is missing something.

Isn't Berkely pronounced Barkley? McTag, do you speak with a Scottish burr or a British "wot" type thing?

I can hear Foggy Day right now, complete with Westminster chimes. <smile>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:52 pm
No southern British "wots" with me, Letty dear.

And, the Scots have a Barclay too, spelled like that.

Bill Barclay was a boozy folk singer from Glasgow.
Sample joke:

"I think I must be allergic to leather. Because every time I wake up with my shoes on, I've got this terrible sore heid...."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
The voicing in music is extremely fragile, McTag. So often, Americans aren't articulate. I was watching Peter Jennings tonight who announced the Nobel Prize winner. I can't even pronounce her name, but she is a Kenyan with a penchant for saving the original plants and trees of Africa. Her accent was totally music, and the only woman there to have a PhD.

Bill Barclay from Glasgow. Sounds like someone who I would love to know.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:00 pm
I am not so sure that I am interpreting this sonnet correctly. Please explain to me, if I have an incorrect assumption!

The title question being, "They also serve who only stand and wait." Thank you for posting the entire sonnet. I had not read it and still not sure I am interpreting correctly, but I will give it a shot!

I may be very wrong saying this. I don't think you are going to get anything or anywhere by waiting around for it. I think you have to actively pursue anything in life. Sometimes, we don't have a choice, but to wait, being powerless do change many aspects of life.

Although I find these words comforting, I also find it too effortless and easy. I don't see life that way. I wish that I could. I would be a lot less stressed out. I know that if I don't empower myself and make positive changes, no one is going to help me or do it for me.

I guess that I have to disagree with the philosophy. Well, if I am interpreting correctly, that is!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:05 am
It seems to describe the relationship between man and God. Simply put, it seems to say that God does not require anything of man.

Which is a bit counter to the usually-accepted message of the parable of the talents.

But going back to the quote about

"Consider the lilies of the field: they toil not, neither do they spin. But I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

That seems to be a contrasting view.

Well, Milton was a very religious man, and living in these times too. I am not, btw, lest anyone here misunderstand me, and I'm not qualified to nor inclined to write about religious matters.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:59 am
Good morning, McTag and Wildflower.

Milton was just tentatively and "fondly" questioning God. "...that one talent which is death to hide, lodged with me useless...." had to do with the fact that his blindness prohibited him from writing, which he saw as a way to serve God. In the conclusion, he decided that he could still be a force in the world even though he was blind. One does not have to be religious to realize that when we face hardships such as physical handicaps, there are ways to compensate even though it means simply being an inspiration. (standing and waiting).
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:05 pm
I believe the world is a very competitive place. Any handicap you may have, you have to overcome, with strength in another area or starve to death. Maybe not that drastic, but that bad.

I can only speak from personal experience. Life has given me no breaks at all. I learned to overcome any weakness I have compensating with a strength. Complete blindness not only give you a tax break on the 1040, but also qualifies you for SSI disability. You don't even have to try anymore. All your needs are met. That is only speaking of the US. I have lived nowhere else.

I actually think life would be better if I qualified for some SSI disability. All I would have to do is stand back and wait, as in the sonnet. I wouldn't have the stress that I have today, just trying to make ends meet. I wouldn't have to go to work, full time, where everything I say or do is scrutinized.

Maybe, in the US, it is true. If you have a handicap, all you really have to do is stand back from the rat race and wait in line at the SS office and get a check. You will get food stamps too, so stand in line, be patient, and wait for that too.

Sometimes I wonder if being healthy is really all that. One SSI disability, in the US, gives you HUD housing, SSI checks, food stamps, and probably other programs that I know nothing about. The meek really will inherit the earth. The rest of us can't afford to have kids.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
wildflower, being in the profession that you are in, I can see your perspective, but there are several sides to those who are on the dole. I know about SSI, because my friend's daughter is severely handicapped and receives that from the government. I don't believe that you nor I nor anyone here would change places with her. She is productive, however, and lives in a communal home. They have workshops and create lovely hand painted cards, and other things that are sold. Everything that she receives goes into the sustaining of that "common kettle", and provides the caretakers with meaningful jobs, nurses included. It's an excellent program, I think.

As for Milton, things were so much different in his time. Becoming blind was denial at its most severe stage.

Good morning, all.
0 Replies