Countries you have visited

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:13 pm
Here's my list of countries visited:
Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bhutan, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Krygyzstan, Libya, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palestine, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saint Lucia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkministan, United Kingdom, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vantican City, Vietnam, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. *78

I don't have a favorite destination, because I loved all of the places I have visited.

What countries have you visited, and do you have a favorite?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,545 • Replies: 29
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cities I have visited:
Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kamakura, Chicago, London, Greenwich, Edinburgh, Dublin, Galway, Cork, Waterford, York, Lima, Bangkok, Johannesburg, Chennai, Goa, Santiago, Bangalore, St Petersburg, Philadelphia, Miami, Ho Chi Min city, Madrid, Kuala Lumpur, Toronto, Vancouver, Milan, Dallas, Boston, Singapore, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, Barcelona, Houston, Athens, Berlin, Sydney, Port Douglas, Atlanta, San Francisco, Montreal, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Melbourne, Phoenix, Seattle, Cape Town, Arusha, New York City, San Diego, Rome, Naples, Tel Aviv, Geneva, Lucerne, Bethlehem, Frankfurt, Havana, Lisbon,Tashkent, St Louis, Tampa, Warsaw, Denver, Cologne, Hamburg, Lippstadt, Vancouver, Budapest, Munich, Portland, Paris, Nice, Brussels, Vienna, San Jose, and Copenhagen.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:25 pm
Ireland, Netherlands, Andorra, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, San Marino, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Vatican City, Malta, Morocco (for the dope, in 1970). My favourite is France.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:44 pm
@contrex,
(US, born here), Canada, Mexico many times, sometimes for weeks at a time; Guatemala, Italy only three times, but for a few months total; Vatican City.

Favorite that is other than my own country, Italy. Mexico = close second.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Auschwitz-Birkenau, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Valetta, Bali *Dempasar, Esperanza Base (Antarctic Peninsula),
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 02:03 pm
France is my favourite more than my own country.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Auschwitz-Birkenau, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Valetta, Bali *Dempasar, Esperanza Base (Antarctic Peninsula),

Those are all places, not countries.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 02:20 pm
@contrex,
Those are the continuation of cities. See above.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Haven't you been to Jordan? Petra? Maybe I'm misremembering.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Those are the continuation of cities. See above.

OK. Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille, Nice, Strasbourg, Perpignan, Toulouse, Lille, Luxembourg, Dublin, Cork, Den Haag, Berlin, Hamburg, Rome, Milan, Monte Carlo, Tangiers, Vatican City, San Marino, Madrid, Barcelona, Girona, Malaga, Lisbon, Lausanne, Berne, Geneva (can't remember the others, there are more.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 03:16 pm
@contrex,
Did you go to the oldest bar in Tangiers? Been there twice. Also, you know about the monkeys, right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
@perennialloner,
Yes, been to Jordan, and visited Jerash, Petra, and Amman. As a matter of fact, I took my sister to Jordan and Egypt.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What countries have you visited,
Canada, Mexico, Germany, Turkey, Japan

Quote:
and do you have a favorite?
Japan by far
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 04:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Why Japan?

Here's some irony for you. My ancestors are from Hiroshima, but our grandfather moved to Hawaii in 1896. When I was in the USAF, I worked with nuclear weapons, and I'm the only Japanese American that worked with nukes during the four years I served in the air force. I just didn't meet another Asian working with nukes in any of the squadrons I was assigned to.

In 1982, my wife and I visited Hiroshima, and met some of my relatives, but since we didn't speak enough Japanese, we were unable to communicate with them. They still lived at the same address.

What's unique in Hiroshima is that the house address is not in numerical sequence from one house to the next, but they're numbered chronologically. It was not easy to find the address, even with the help of our taxi driver. We did eventually find the house after our driver spoke to several people in the area, and met face-to-face with some relatives, but our inability to communicate in Japanese was a bit awkward.

We gave them some money, because they care for the family cemetery where my father is interred. My uncle took his ashes back to Japan before WWII to be buried in the family plot even though my father was born in Hawaii.

While there, we did visit the Peace Memorial.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 04:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Why Japan?
Japanese friendliness, pretty girls, intriguing food

Speaking of the language, I only wish I had studied it during my 6 years there
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 04:36 pm
@dalehileman,
All you needed to learn was "arrigato."
dalehileman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 05:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi, Hi
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 05:35 pm
@dalehileman,
yo ro shi ku
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 06:47 pm
I have visited just Mexico. I once had a girlfriend whose parents were from over there. We used to cross the border and have a nice dinner. Not much beyond that. The other places I have been to were as a guest of Uncle Sam's navy. Japan, Midway, Filipines, Hong Kong.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:03 pm
@contrex,
I get you on this. Given Italy's goings on, I won't pick it over the US, but the margin is getting thinner. I'm engaged with both re interest.
0 Replies