HELP ! Thanksgiving meal ! 14 people for dinner

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 07:08 am
Hello! I’m working until Wednesday evening, and I’m hosting Thanksgiving this year. I’m having 14 people for dinner.
What can I do? I would like to cook something different from the traditional Thanksgiving meal, and it needs to be tasty, easy to make, and especially quick. In other words, impossible!
Help me!

TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 07:22 am
@sarahcooking,
I think the key here is preparation. Whatever you decide to make you'll have to do all your prep ahead of time. If you have to peel and slice veggies you can do that Wednesday night. Pies and cakes can be made two days in advance. Get up early on Thursday and start right off. As for the menu I suggest making a decision right away so that you can get your shopping done.
Lots of things are tasty and easy to make, but what do you think would be appropriate for T-day dinner? I hope you don't decide on taco salad. Thanksgiving dinner even though non-traditional should still show lots of care, attention to detail and variety. It is by definition not quick and easy. If that's the priority, get take out. Good luck.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 07:37 am
14 people for Thanksgiving and you are going off the beaten path? (something different?)

Do your guest know they aren't getting the "usual"?

There would be a riot at my house.

There's nothing easier than putting a turkey in the oven, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. etc. We also serve salmon on the grill.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 07:43 am
Have people bring something, preferably something labor-intensive.

Get precut vegetables and salad mix. Don't waste your time dealing with that. You can order pie online, BTW.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:09 am
Why chop vegetables - buy frozen beans and corn. Takes 15 - 20 minutes and they are ready. Potatoes one can clean the day before and put in cold water without salt. Just to boil the next day. Do not forget to add salt.
Cranberries you can buy in glasses.
Next day concentrate on setting table and prepare the turkey and make a sallad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:26 am
@sarahcooking,
Since no one knows what your traditional meal is, you'll have to be a little more direct. People do so many different things for holiday meals.

A meal for 14 is no big deal to prepare. My concern is getting things set up for it. Have you got people coming in to set up the room/s? have you got people organized to be your clean-up crew?

__

@sarahcooking - what is the traditional meal you are trying to avoid?
0 Replies