Eating Liver

lmur

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm
Choice of beverage is all-important. Remember - a light ale with fish and chips. Stout with liver and onions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 04:55 pm
@lmur,
Use to love liver with bacon and onion. The fat content is too high, so my wife won't let me eat it any more.
lmur

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Then I suggest changing your wife.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:12 pm
@lmur,
What? My wife takes good care of me. I had kidney failure, and she makes sure I get the necessary checkups and medications.
I use to be on dialysis, but no longer need it. My nephew is a critical care doctor, and even he said it's very rare to recover from total kidney failure. It's now working at over 30%.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:18 pm
In a wok (or a plow disc harrow, unused and seasoned if you've got one, seriously. They're used in Northern Mexico to cook these stir fries, discadas, in the open) stir fry strips of liver with chopped bacon, onions and Mexican chorizo. If you like it spicier, add some japĆ³n, or similar, chiles. It makes for good tacos.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
Ive got several old disc harrows lying about out in the fields. The kids used to take em apart an set em up around the field and shoot .22 shorts at em. They'd make a dull "bing" to let you know you hit the target.
sorta sounds like that hot fennel sausage, liver , and red pepperoncini and onion fry that is in the Sopranos Cook Book.
lmur

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just kidding - no offence intended. It's great that you've made a significant recovery from your serious illness.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well that sounds terrific, especially as a taco but also even sans tortilla.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
and that sounds good to me too
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 06:17 pm
I don't know if you're up for eating raw liver, but if you are, cut raw liver and then pour a variety of spices like cumin, coriander, black pepper, sumac and salt (or anything else you want) in a shallow bowl and then coat the liver chunks in all of them or just one of them. Then, wrap the coated liver in lettuce or flat bread with mint or arugula or onions or whatever you enjoy and eat them just like that. It's super yummy.

http://www.anissas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/roumiyeh-raw-liver-copy.jpg
The white chunks are fat. Adding those just makes it yummier.

You might find it being raw off-putting but it's really very good, and the spices mask the taste, like with tofu.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 06:29 pm
@perennialloner,
A little off putting but maybe not. If I liked steak tartare I could adapt to your recipe, assuming the purveyor was one of the good butchers in this city.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:14 am

here's one from me mudduh... (not sure what happened to steps 5 & 6)

SAUTEED CALVES LIVER

Ingredients

olive oil
a large onion, peeled and sliced crosswise
4C seasoned breadcrumbs
salt, pepper, garlic powder
calves liver

Directions

1. Saute the onion rings slowly tlll soft and golden brown

2. Meanwhile set out two plates, sprinkling one with bread crumbs

3. pat liver dry with paper towel and coat it lightly, first one side, then
the other, with bread crunbs, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder

4. in another saute pan, heat olive oil and saute the liver gently, first
one side and then the other, till golden brown and cooked through

7. Serve liver heaped with onions. Good with spinach and glazed carrots
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 10:15 pm
I thank everybody for the comments and recipes.
0 Replies