What is a nationalist?

giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:02 am
It has been said that Steve Bannon is a white nationalist and therefore is a racist. It is automatically assumed that because he is white and a nationalist that he is also for white supremacy meaning that whites are superior to blacks and should dominate them socially. We hear from the mainstream media who seems to agree with this definition.

If we accept these definitions then we must also say that people who belong to groups such as the Black Panthers, the NAACP, the Nation of Islam, and black lives matter are black Nationalists and therefore racists, who believe in Black Supremacy and the dominancy of the white society. We do not see the mainstream media label these groups and the people who join them as racist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 15,158 • Replies: 147

maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:08 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

It has been said that Steve Bannon is a white nationalist and therefore is a racist. It is automatically assumed that because he is white and a nationalist that he is also for white supremacy meaning that whites are superior to blacks and should dominate them socially. We hear from the mainstream media who seems to agree with this definition.

If we accept these definitions then we must also say that people who belong to groups such as the Black Panthers, the NAACP, the Nation of Islam, and black lives matter are black Nationalists and therefore racists, who believe in Black Supremacy and the dominancy of the white society. We do not see the mainstream media label these groups and the people who join them as racist.

It's not only supremacy but also about racial separation or, for example, the belief that races should not intermix.
Below viewing threshold (view)
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:16 am
@giujohn,
In regard to the NAACP, it's mission is to "ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination".

It isn't nationalist or racist.
maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:22 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I've searched around for proof of Brannon's white nationalism, but I only find the accusations by several "journalists." If anyone has proof of this, could you share a link?

I've heard liberals here discredit Breitbart regularly. So narratives from locals won't be sufficient.

I'm not surprised to find you defending a far right news source.
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:24 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

In regard to the NAACP, it's mission is to "ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination".

It isn't nationalist or racist.

Except it does secretly discriminate being black ccentric. Ive seen cases where they have not provided service to nonblacks.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:29 am
@Krumple,
Were those decisions based on race or other criteria?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:22 am
@maporsche,
So if black people want to be separate and racially polarize from the rest of society are they deemed to be racist?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:24 am
@InfraBlue,
Correct me if I'm wrong, it stands for the National Association for the ADVANCEMENT of Colored People... not all people.
giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:26 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Lash wrote:

I've searched around for proof of Brannon's white nationalism, but I only find the accusations by several "journalists." If anyone has proof of this, could you share a link?

I've heard liberals here discredit Breitbart regularly. So narratives from locals won't be sufficient.

I'm not surprised to find you defending a far right news source.

Why, don't you support MSNBC?
Lash

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:28 am
@giujohn,
Maporshe--

You're so biased. Im not defending it; I'm withholding judgment until I see evidence. Try it sometime.

maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:11 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Why, don't you support MSNBC?

Not particularly, no.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:19 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Maporshe--

You're so biased. Im not defending it; I'm withholding judgment until I see evidence. Try it sometime.

Yeah, "withholding judgement". Got it.

The fact that KKK members are rejoicing at Bannon going to the Trump whitehouse is enough to give me pause.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/14/white-nationalists-rejoice-trumps-appointment-breitbarts-stephen-bannon

Bannon has said "We're the platform for the alt-right," and has said that the alt-right includes racists and anti-Semitics and has said that the alt-right includes homophobes. He'd probably argue that the number is pretty small, but not from what I've been able to gather.
maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:20 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, it stands for the National Association for the ADVANCEMENT of Colored People... not all people.

Does that make it racist?
giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:42 pm
@maporsche,
If the term white nationalist is racist, is the term black nationalist racist as well?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:44 pm
@maporsche,
You call this proof?

What it is is proof of my contention... By just saying something is racist doesn't mean it is you'll need to have a little bit better proof than this nonsense.
maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:45 pm
@giujohn,
No.

What my post says is "The fact that KKK members are rejoicing at Bannon going to the Trump whitehouse is enough to give me pause."
giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:50 pm
@maporsche,
No.

What you are saying is that he is a racist by mentioning that other racist support him.
maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 02:02 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

No.

What you are saying is that he is a racist by mentioning that other racist support him.

No, I'm saying that racists support him (and his ideas about government, I'd imagine).

That fact, makes me inclined to NOT support him as well. If there were a damn thing I could do about it, I might put some more effort into learning about him. I can't do anything about it except laugh really, so I'm doing that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 02:04 pm
When a sports broadcast isn't on 970 a.m. nyc radion on Sunday nights from 7-9 p.m., there is a broadcast by Aron Klein who reports on mideast news, Jewish issues, and was recently taken onto the Breitbart staff, I believe. In my opinion, any pejorative directed to this Steve Bannon guy is just a canard.