Has Donald Trump proven that the US Presidency just needs money?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 08:44 am
To what extent is it the case that Trump's election (only because of the Electoral College) proves money is all that's needed to become president?

sky123

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 11:10 am
@Thomas33,
What a question Thomas! Does it mean that the election has more to do with dollars than with people's vote? I do not have any idea but I'm so curious to see what will happen in this thread.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:30 pm
@sky123,
Hillary spent twice as much as Trump did on the campaign so I do not suspect money had much to do with it.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:21 pm
@McGentrix,
How much dark money was spent on tRump? You know the money that cant be traced?
McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:56 pm
@RABEL222,
You mean free press from the leftist media that thought him a joke? Priceless.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:45 pm
@McGentrix,
The leftest media who is owned by 15 billionaires who are conservative and part of the 1%. The ones who had tRump's picture on twice as much as Hillarys? You are indeed delusional.
Krumple

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:03 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

The leftest media who is owned by 15 billionaires who are conservative and part of the 1%. The ones who had tRump's picture on twice as much as Hillarys? You are indeed delusional.

They had his picture on a lot sure. But they were attempting to tear him a new asshole at the same time. From what I remember they were singing praises to clinton.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:08 pm
Money is a nice facelift but that was not why Trump won. Trump is just a good stereotypy of what a good deal of "broncos" in America review themselves upon, after all as they put it "he tells it like it is"...
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 08:16 am
@Krumple,
There is actually data done on the question of negative/positive media coverage for both Clinton and Trump. According to those who studied it, the time up until September (it is when they wrote their article), it varied on events of the candidates.

Quote:
The short answer is that it varies over time and appears to depend on the most salient events. For example, Donald Trump’s worst weeks may have come in November 2015, around the time he suggested the need for a national database of Muslim citizens and also mocked a disabled New York Times reporter. The tone of Clinton’s media coverage seems to have suffered most when her private email server scandal came to the fore once again in early July 2016.

There is data and methodology at the source.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 09:42 pm
@revelette2,
No. You just have to become famous on tv. Name recognition is the key to winning. In Trump's case, it helped that he was a man and not a woman.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:51 pm
@Krumple,
Most people see the picture and the headline and read no further. When Hillary was pictured the head line read emails or Comey or both.
0 Replies

sky123

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 11:19 am
@McGentrix,
The kind of thing that is suspecting, is the way that the other parties cannot even participate in the main 3 presidential debates. All the candidates must introduce themselves and their plans equally but the election is in fact a binary choice. I see criticizing this reality of your election in our media and I think it is right.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:09 pm
@Thomas33,
First, I would point out that every elected President is elected because of the Electoral College. Total popular vote has never elected a president. Sorry if you seem to feel the EC is a problem.

Now that my tiny rant is over, as to the question of money, Clinton spent more and it did her no good. I believe Trump's win boiled down to two things.

1. Clinton was a poor candidate due to how nearly half the country viewed her many controversies. Whether the criticism was justified or not, she was viewed to have handled so many things wrong. Then to put down Trump supporters as she (and other democrats) did, created a backlash against her and motivated the anyone but Hillary crowd.

2. There is a growing unrest against those who are seen as entrenched Washington insiders. It is the biggest reason Trump got the nomination. Yes, he said things that made people cringe. But, aside from being filthy rich, the average person could somewhat identify with someone who didn't care if he was pc or not. (I don't think most people give a rip about being pc) Everyone, yes, even democrats, say things at times that they wish they had not said. So people were more apt to ignore Trump's mouth as not being as big an issue as Hillary's perceived corruptness.

Maybe my opinion is a bit simplistic, I don't know. What I think, or what anyone thinks, really is not important. For whatever reason, Trump won. He will not destroy our society any more than Obama did, or Bush did, or Clinton did. Or any of the other presidents in our history.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:25 pm
@CoastalRat,
Its a big problem. Think Bush 43 and Chaney, and now tRump who will make Bush look like a genius who is much more honest. All elected with a minority of the vote.
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 09:05 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Its a big problem
No, it is not. Every election I hear the same thing. Doesn't matter which side wins, the losing side always talks as though the world is about to end because so and so became president. I heard it when Bill Clinton won, when Bush won and when Obama won and of course we are hearing it again now.

To all my democrat friends, I wish to say that life as we know it is not about to end. You will survive a Trump presidency, just as those republicans who feared an Obama presidency survived his. Well, assuming we survive the next couple of months. Wink Sit back, take a deep breath. Trump will not be as bad as you are imagining. Just as Hillary would not have been as bad as republicans imagined.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 10:07 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
Trump will not be as bad as you are imagining.

Bush was far worse than anything I could have imagined. When Bush came into office we had peace in NI and terrorist atrocities had ended. We never had a problem with Islamist terrorism. Thanks to Bush we had the 7/7 bombings, our troops killed in an illegal war whose sole aim was to make Dick Cheney and co a lot richer and our international reputation in the gutter.

I don't want to think about how calamitous a Trump presidency will be, especially as I don't have the Atlantic ocean to cushion me from its consequences.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:51 pm
@izzythepush,
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-settles-trump-university-lawsuits-for-25-million-215707514.html

Trump University fraud case settled for $25 million.
0 Replies