Why didn't Jesus win this election?

revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@Krumple,

Quote:
With that said, Jesus would be a terrible president

Why? Have you read the sermon on the mount? We should be so lucky.

On the other hand, I agree, this country is not a Christian nation.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 05:15 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Why? Have you read the sermon on the mount? We should be so lucky.

I do agree to a point. From my studies Jesus was a perfect example of a true ethical and progressive person but I will add that there is at least one if not more than one statement in the bible supposedly made by him that seems very evil. Personally I think it is from a different author. I"m a none believer but I am a student of behavior, ethics and axiology.
revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 09:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
but I will add that there is at least one if not more than one statement in the bible supposedly made by him that seems very evil.

Ok, I'll bite, which statements makes the words attributed to Jesus makes him seem evil?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:48 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Ok, I'll bite, which statements makes the words attributed to Jesus makes him seem evil?

It seems to be an unethical parable, this does not seem to be logically consistence with Jesus's other teachings of ethics. It seems that Jesus made a Jekyll and Hyde swich back at luke 19:12 when he describes a man who has an extreme case of cluster b disorder as being, "Ready for this?" A certain nobleman" went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

Luke 19:27 Context

24And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds. 25(And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.) 26For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. 27But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. 28And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem. 29And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount called the mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, 30Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither.

Goliathus

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:44 am
Because he is hiding in the clouds.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
least one if not more than one statement in the bible supposedly made by him that seems very evil

Puttin' Devils in pigs and then having them run off a cliff..there's another. Though I'm sure there's a perfectly irrational reason why Jesus did this..

Thank God the Jewish folk didn't hate puppies or kittens..there might never have been a Christianity in America!

What'd the Jews have against pigs anyway? OK, don't eat him. Don't kill 'em. No harm no fowl..
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:08 am
@reasoning logic,
I see you bring the same style of your political post to religious post. Ok.

It helps if one truly wants to understand a parable to read the whole parable. Even if a person just takes the Bible as a book, as in discussing any book, it helps the get whole meaning out of it to try and gain an understanding of what the author was attempting to get across.

Quote:
Luke 19: 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.

17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.

18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.

19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.

20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:

21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:

23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?

24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.

25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)

26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

29 And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount called the mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples,

30 Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither.

31 And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him.

32 And they that were sent went their way, and found even as he had said unto them.

33 And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt?

34 And they said, The Lord hath need of him.

35 And they brought him to Jesus: and they cast their garments upon the colt, and they set Jesus thereon.

36 And as he went, they spread their clothes in the way.

(KJV)
source

In the first place, this is a parable which means it is not to be taken literally. Jesus in parable is talking of his coming his coming kingdom and the work the people in the coming kingdom should do until the kingdom comes. Jesus was telling them they had to spread the gospel so the kingdom would come. If you didn't or just kept it to yourself, it wouldn't profit yourself or anyone else or the Lord of the kingdom. It is not talking of literal money and work. The second part from 29 - 36 is fulfilling prophesy. (in the book)
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:36 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
It helps if one truly wants to understand a parable to read the whole parable. Even if a person just takes the Bible as a book, as in discussing any book, it helps the get whole meaning out of it to try and gain an understanding of what the author was attempting to get across.

This parable seems very inconsistent with other teachings of Jesus. I am not aware of "prosocial" minded people teaching ethics using horror stories but then again this story is not related to ethics but rather a story of rule of power and dominance.

Were you taught ethics or any other lessons by your parents using stories which involve killing of people?

Quote:
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

The bible is written thoughts of men and women who made mistakes at times "just like the rest of us.
I can think back not very long ago of how some of my lessons of ethics were not very ethical.
revelette2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 03:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well, the Bible is not meant to teach ethics according to man made rules. When you get right down to it, the whole Bible is filled with violence and punishment and bad consequences such as eternal damnation. Then again, so is life.
catbeasy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 03:16 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
bad consequences such as eternal damnation. Then again, so is life.

Christ! I thought we died at some point!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 07:28 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Well, the Bible is not meant to teach ethics according to man made rules.

What do you think the true purpose of the bible is?

Quote:
When you get right down to it, the whole Bible is filled with violence and punishment and bad consequences such as eternal damnation. Then again, so is life.

I do seem to agree with you but I can see many other things in the bible as well and it's not all negative.
revelette2

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:49 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
What do you think the true purpose of the bible is?

It depends of a person's perspective, but since you asked what I believe, I will tell you I believe the Bible as it exist today is meant to show us how we can be saved. Make of it what you will.

Quote:
I do seem to agree with you but I can see many other things in the bible as well and it's not all negative.

I didn't say it was.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 06:39 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
It depends of a person's perspective

That is the same view I have, it is subjective.

Quote:
the Bible as it exist today is meant to show us how we can be saved. Make of it what you will.

What do you make of it? Saved from what?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
It depends of a person's perspective, but since you asked what I believe, I will tell you I believe the Bible as it exist today is meant to show us how we can be saved. Make of it what you will.

Have you ever considered what Alan Watts makes of it?

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:47 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Apparently people chose to throw their caution to the wind, but not their sanity.

It seems like you are suggesting people made a sane choice. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 09:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

He didn't win because he couldn't convince people he existed. Live with it.

Damn Roger, that's funny.....but I'm going to hell in a hand cart.
0 Replies

Thestumpedone

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 08:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I bet NONE of you wrote in Jesus Christ for President.

I think many people see Donald Trump to be the next best thing. All the people I know, "who claim to be Christians said they voted for Trump. What have you found from all the Christians you know?

I live in a rural area in Wisconsin so nearly everyone I know is a proclaimed Christian and deeply conservative. Which is fine, I have no issues with Christians or conservatives. But basically, all of the Christians where I live believe that Trump can help them to have a better life. So when I ask them why they put their faith in Trump and not in Jesus to make their lives better, I cannot get a straight answer. It's ridiculous what some of these people tell me. Like the ever brilliant Jesus is working through Trump...duh. Or that Jesus gives me inner strength but doesn't pay the bills. Or that Jesus doesn't negotiate trade policy and budget (talk about a duh). But most of the time I can't get anything out of them. They'll just flat out ignore me. Not a one could come out and say that a vote for Jesus was basically a vote for Hilary, and in their minds a vote for Hilary would've been the absolute worst thing that could've happened to this country. A vote for Jesus, to them, was meaningless. Their faith was literally Trumped by the reality of the situation. Pascal's Wager can be thrown out the window finally. Which can only mean two things in my admittedly shallow brain. That Christians aren't as faithful as they believe they are, and that Christianity isn't as authentic or "awe inspiring" as people have been taught to believe. If I were a Christian, I'd vote Jesus every election because that's something I'd want Jesus to see. That's faith, and I wouldn't let my fear of who runs the country or whose plan could help me out more, shake it. But I'm not, so I can keep writing in Nick Cage, so thank God for that.
catbeasy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 10:53 am
@Thestumpedone,
Quote:
so I can keep writing in Nick Cage

Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 06:16 pm
@Thestumpedone,
Quote:
Not a one could come out and say that a vote for Jesus was basically a vote for Hilary

Do you think that a vote for Jesus is basically a vote for Hillary?

Please explain in detail what you are meaning by your quote.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 11:30 pm
@Thestumpedone,
Jesus didn't come to rule this world. He came to die in our place freeing us from the curse of sin and death. John 3:16 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Ruling this world was never his goal. He had a more important goal. "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." Mark 12:17
I don't know what to tell you about Trump except to pray. This country needs prayers, now and always.
0 Replies