Everything old is new again.

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:07 pm
My neighborhood is trying to become a historic district. People opposed to the idea (like me) are encouraged to research the history of their houses so they can document changes that have been made over the years and thereby earn a "non-conforming" designation.

As I dug through old building permits and newspapers trying to find info on my house I learned that it was built by a Mr. Wm. Sylvester so I started trying to learn about him in hopes of finding an actual photograph of the house.

What I found instead was this interesting document: http://digitalassets.lib.berkeley.edu/jarda/ucb/text/reduced/cubanc6714_b274t01_0061.pdf

It is a long list of quotes from West Coasters regarding how they feel about the Japanese people who were living here.

I thought it particularly poignant in light of the recent election and I think it's worth looking at for that reason and for many others.

I thought our A2K historians (where is Setanta?) might enjoy it.

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 06:54 am
WTH?

Quote:
A spokesman for a pro-Trump Super PAC cited the human rights-abusing Japanese internment camps kept in the U.S. during World War II as “precedent” for the President-elect's proposed Muslim registry system.

More: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-supporter-likens-muslim-registry-wwii-internment-camps-article-1.2876766
timur

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 07:01 am
@boomerang,
Karl Marx said "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

I don't know if it repeats itself, but for sure it stutters..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 09:40 am
@boomerang,
I've seen quite a bit of that messaging on social media recently. Suggesting the Japanese internment camps were a good thing, and how they reflect the best of America.

Nope nope nope.

I don't understand how this is getting any kind of support, but it looks like I don't understand America at all anymore.

We watched anti-black racism in the US growing over the past 8 years but didn't realize it was part of racism as a whole being normalized.

So disturbing.
boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I've heard some of that too, ehBeth and I'm startled by it.

It was weird to read that document I linked last week then start hearing these murmurers now.
0 Replies