Why our country is in trouble under Donald Trump

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 03:01 pm
@georgeob1,
The government can influence our economy by "playing" with the interest rate. It's my humble opinion that the Feds does the opposite of what the're trying to accomplish. I never had much admiration for Greenspan or Yellen.
Interest rate is so low now, there's not much wiggle room.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 07:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
There are several reasons for our (and much of the world's) very low interest rates. One of them is that government debt is so high that a more realistic interest rate would quickly end the borrow and spend programs of governments throughout the world, prominently including our ow, Eventually the piper must be paid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Our debt after WWII was at the highest point in history, but the income earned during the war, and the GI Bill that allowed the vets to attend college were the foundation on which our economy bloomed.
I think the investment in our infrastructure by the Feds is what's needed today to improve our economy.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think it may help but that it is far from the most important thing facing us now. In the first place most government infrastructure programs are thoroughly bureaucratized and corrupted by endless reviews by mindless interest groups. Much gets spent: little gets built. Witness the fabled shovel ready projects of 2009. It was simply a payoff for useless bureaucrats that delayed needed reforms that happened later in many states (but sadly, not in the Federal government.

I believe that by far the biggest threat to enterprise and job creation in the country is the explosion of regulations and compliance requirements that our increasingly authoritarian and bureaucratic government has created. This is aa very serious impediment to the creation of new businesses that presents an often insurmountable barrier for start ups across the country. The bureaucrats who make the rules and "design" the programs have a poor track record in forseeing the side effects of their programs, or understanding just why real people don't make decisions in conformance with their absurd plans. The debacle of Obamacare is a good example.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:31 pm
@georgeob1,
I also believe it's about the stagnation of income in this country. The rich seems to increase their piece of their pie while the middle class and the poor lose buying power.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I also believe it's about the stagnation of income in this country. The rich seems to increase their piece of their pie while the middle class and the poor lose buying power.

I believe it is the precisely lack of new enterprise creation that is beking the stagnation of wages.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 02:29 pm
@georgeob1,
I think it's the inevitable force of globalization (which is really just a symptom of technological advance).

American workers now compete globally and the natural effects of supply and demand dictate that the price of low-skilled American labour would have to fall when faced with such an increase in supply.

America needs to focus on education (particularly STEM) to increase their competitiveness on the global scale and shift toward more high-skilled workers and service industry.
catbeasy

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 02:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I would tend to agree with this. It may be true (and I'm not saying it is) that there are bureaucratic impediments to small business. But I think these take a back seat to corporate competition. How can small business compete with Wal-Mart? SB's have to be much smarter carving out a niche that the biggies can't compete with..

Much of the bureaucracy may be nonsense, but undoubtedly not all of it. Context helps too. There are small business people that have made in the upper 6 figures every year and retired with over five million that complain about how much regulation is costing them. I'm not saying their complaints aren't valid, but this complaint extends to many things that seem to me to have value. I think the forest is lost in the trees..
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 02:53 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
The sadest part of the Trump story is the fact that those Americans who voted for Trump thinking of him as their great savior, are most likely the very ones who will suffer the most becoming poorer and poorer...depressed and more depressed...hopeless and more hopeless during the next 4 years

Oh yes. The big question is not whether it will happen, but who they will blame when it happens. It is a joke that Trump thinks he can resurrect or 'make the economy great again' by waving his orange wand. I don't think he even believes that. I think he was just saying things to get elected. Not even sure he wanted to be president. I think he just wanted to win. His feet will be held to the fire on the issue of keeping jobs in America. Hopefully he won't go fudging reports. You can only do that for so long..

Anyway, when the **** hits the fan, I have postulated that the people of whom you speak will blame their usual suspects, immigrants and progressives (can't really blame the democrats this time around), but deep down they will know its not true and will not vote for Trump again (should he run for a second term). This way they can save face for their 'principles', while acting on what they know is true..

I don't know if this is true or not, but has psychological precedent..
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 03:20 pm
@catbeasy,
He wanted to become president, all right! But, he's going to learn quickly that the government doesn't run from the president down. I foresee a lot of infighting within the party, and I believe that's already happening.
catbeasy

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 05:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hopefully it will be one of those long fights were nothing gets done, then when they are done fighting it will have been 4 years and they will be voted out of office..

That doesn't have to happen though. I can plausibly conceive of all scenarios..even one where Trump lets his 'democrat' colours shine through..even if just to piss of those conservatives he hates..
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 08:42 pm
@catbeasy,
More problems cropping up for Trump.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-flynn-key-trump-aide-sat-in-on-intel-briefings-while-advising-foreign-clients-004512931.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 08:57 pm
I think our former midwestern union progeny who couldn't change horses in the globalization stream are dying by heroin instead.

Aren't these the first and second generations of manufacturing families without manufacturing jobs?

Is this heroin epidemic connected to what's happening economically?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 09:04 pm
Looked around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/why-the-opioid-epidemic-is-so-bad-in-west-virginia-2016-4?client=safari

West Virginia.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 09:13 pm
@Lash,
Trump will not affect the wages of Silicon Valley.
https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56d61ee6e4b0bf0dab33ce96/amp?client=safari
0 Replies

katsung47

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:10 pm
Trump behaves like a dictator. If he doesn't like someone, he'll put him(her) into jail. He accepts election results 'if I win', otherwise..... Why he is so arrogant and arbitrary? Because he is the candidate of the FBI. That's their culture - lawlessness. He is a full reflect picture of it.
catbeasy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:57 am
@katsung47,
I think you are largely correct, although it is a mixed bag. I suppose there is a lot of good that the FBI does, but yes, they are a very powerful institution that often breaks its own laws and runs afoul of its publicly stated duties. Of course there are always 'good reasons' why - national security and the like. I think the potential for damage is directly proportional to the amount of oversight/accountability enforced and that oversight is proportional to whoever is in charge at both the executive level of president and FBI.

Like the CIA and Military, these organizations have a bizarre relationship to the Executive. They are ostensibly under its control, but in practice behave as independent institutions*. Contrary to the "commander in chief" narrative, I believe there is only a dotted line of management to the White House. The same goes with other law enforcement entities as our police and sheriffs. Which explains why it is so difficult to enact Federal change to these institutions..

*Of course executives could take a preternatural interest. Trump could take and since they he is, on paper, in control, make significant change if he pushed hard enough. If they are, however, "on the same page" that could spell disaster for many. The effect of the executive is directly proportional to their interest, personality and similarity of goals..
0 Replies

katsung47

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 07:27 pm
Trump will suppress critics.

Quote:
Reince Priebus warns Office of Government Ethics director to ‘be careful’ in criticizing Trump

The incoming White House chief of staff on Sunday warned the director of a federal ethics office to “be careful” about criticizing President-elect Donald Trump.

“The head of the government ethics ought to be careful, because that person is becoming extremely political,” Reince Priebus said on ABC News’ “This Week.”

He was referring to Walter Shaub, director of the independent Office of Government Ethics, who has spoken out against Trump’s plans for handing off his vast business interests.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/priebus-warns-ethics-officer-careful-criticizing-trump-article-1.2946978
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 09:40 pm
@katsung47,
Quote:
.... warned the director of a federal ethics office to “be careful” about criticizing President-elect Donald Trump.

Anyone can criticize any politician in this country. That's the law of the land.
0 Replies

katsung47

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 07:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here is how they produce a financial tsunami.

US avoided a D-DAY (10/11/2016)

My wife and my daughter had a trip to North Europe from 9/23 to 10/2. I think it was arranged by the feds(FBI and DEA). To my experience, it used to be arranged with murder plot. (Both on me and my relatives) Also if the murder plot had been successful, there would be big events taking place to distract public's attention from a small killing case in California. On 6/11/2001, they used the execution of McVeigh as distraction.

So when on 9/25 there was a warning of D-day (9/30) - two days before my wife's returning, I naturally thought of that could be the distraction of the plot. I wrote about it in #923 on 9/25.

Quote:
Friday, September 30th, 2016:

D-DAY
FOR THE U.S DOLLAR
On Friday, September 30th...
a new kind of "world money" goes live

http://pro.agorafinancial.com/AWN_dollarreset_0716/PAWNS850/?h=true

The D-DAY big financial collapse didn't happen because the Feds failed to murder me at that time. I still would say my perspective is very correct.

Two news prove it.

Quote:
Financial Hell might break loose tomorrow. Congress OVER-RIDES Obama Veto of Saudi Arabia Lawsuit Bill! Saudis may retaliate by pulling Billions out of Markets and Billions more out of Banks.

Post by Newsroom - Sep 28, 2016

Saudi Arabia made clear that if this Bill was passed, it would withdraw what they claimed would be seven-hundred and fifty BILLION dollars of assets that the Kingdom has in the United States, so as to protect those assets from being seized under the lawsuit provisions.

https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/business/2126

Quote:
U.S. Congress passes funding bill; averts government shutdown

Reuters September 28, 2016

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved and sent to President Barack Obama legislation preventing government shutdowns at the end of this week by temporarily funding federal agencies through Dec. 9.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-congress-passes-funding-bill-averts-government-shutdown-020955146--business.html

Watch the date of these two news. If the Congress had't passed the funding bill and Saudi dumped US treasury. Then the D-DAY would have become true.