Will I still be able to be on my parents insurance when Trump sacks Obamacare???

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:48 am
It was part of the ACA that adults can remain on their parent insurance until age 26.. Now that Trump has been elected, when he repeals Obamacare will I still be able to remain on my parents Providence health plan? Im 20.

View best answer, chosen by Hannah1029
maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:49 am
@Hannah1029,
Hannah1029 wrote:

It was part of the ACA that adults can remain on their parent insurance until age 26.. Now that Trump has been elected, when he repeals Obamacare will I still be able to remain on my parents Providence health plan? Im 20.

Literally no one knows what Trump will do or what it means to you or to healthcare.

Did you vote?
jespah

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:49 am
@Hannah1029,
As I recall, pre-ACA, the limit was either age 21 or 22. Might as well start shopping around now, either for insurance or for a job which has it (or marry someone who has it).
0 Replies

Hannah1029

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:33 am
@maporsche,
Yes, this was my first year voting and I am very discouraged.
maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:35 am
@Hannah1029,
Hannah1029 wrote:

Yes, this was my first year voting and I am very discouraged.

You're not alone. The country will go on.

Make sure you and your friends vote again in 2 years. The congressional elections are more critical than the presidential one.
0 Replies

oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:01 pm
@Hannah1029,
Hannah1029 wrote:

It is unlikely that they will return to the system as it was before Obamacare was passed. Much more likely they will replace it with a different system that is yet to be created.

What this new system will be will depend on the bill(s) that are debated and passed in Congress over the next year. So your question can only be answered by paying attention to the legislative process when the matter comes up for debate and vote.

I suspect that things that are extremely popular with people, including this provision for people staying on their parent's health plan until age 26, will be retained when they change the system.

If you and others contact your congresspeople in large numbers demanding that this provision be retained, the politicians WILL listen to the masses. Politicians know very well that if people are upset enough to contact them in large numbers, they will be upset enough to vote against them on election day.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:07 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It is unlikely that they will return to the system as it was before Obamacare was passed. Much more likely they will replace it with a different system that is yet to be created.

What this new system will be will depend on the bill(s) that are debated and passed in Congress over the next year. So your question can only be answered by paying attention to the legislative process when the matter comes up for debate and vote.

I suspect that this process is going to be fun to watch...

It is much easier to abolish something than it is to create something reasonable to replace it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:07 pm
@oralloy,
Agree. Obama care it too far along to rip apart totally. I see changes around what already exists. What they are.....let's see who Trump will appoint as the new Czar.
0 Replies