DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
@Baldimo,
I'm not sure what you mean. Both sides of the field?

Personally, I think addressing illegal immigration from the supply side is foolish. It needs to be addressed from the demand side. Make employers responsible for hiring only workers who are authorized to work in the US.

Also, I think the LAPD is making the right decision. Becoming an arm of immigration enforcement would put local cops at odds with the folks they're supposed to be protecting.

I also think the article is relevant to the topic of the thread....
Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 04:03 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

They don't want states to define immigration law but are ok with liberal cities doing that very thing. Didn't we hear a lot of noise from the left after AZ passed SB1070, that immigration enforcement should be left to the feds and the states should stay out of it? If that is the case, then what gives cities to the right to ignore federal law and enact sanctuary policies of their own? This is playing both sides of the field on immigration.

Quote:
Personally, I think addressing illegal immigration from the supply side is foolish. It needs to be addressed from the demand side. Make employers responsible for hiring only workers who are authorized to work in the US.

Of course you think it is foolish, you are more than likely a proponent of open borders.

We already have those laws on the books, it doesn't stop people from getting fake ID's and SS#'s to get jobs. Those very things will bypass any support from the E-Verify system. It needs to be addressed from both sides. Harsher penalties for employers who hire illegals and harsher punishment and deportation for those who violate the law. We also need to update the Constitution to change what it means to be born an American citizen. The easiest way to do this is by allowing birthright citizenship to be given to a child who has 1 parent who is a citizen. This would cut down on the amount of people who come here simply to have a kid and then stay in the country.

Quote:
Also, I think the LAPD is making the right decision. Becoming an arm of immigration enforcement would put local cops at odds with the folks they're supposed to be protecting.

The LAPD is making a horrible decision. I wonder if the feds will tie money support into these cities to the following the law. Don't like to follow the law, then you loose federal money.

Lash

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 06:11 pm
@izzythepush,
You are overly concerned that I'm trying to tell someone how European elections work. You must've missed my pretty basic point.

It was a metaphor.
Lash

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 06:14 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks. I know they're not that obtuse.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 07:46 pm
Boxer to introduce bill to kill Electoral College.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/barbara-boxer-electoral-college-donald-trump-2016-election/index.html?sr=fbCNN111516http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/barbara-boxer-electoral-college-donald-trump-2016-election/index.html1000PMStoryLink&linkId=31196100
roger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 07:55 pm
@Brand X,
My spring loaded position is that I'm against anything Boxer is in favor of. Wonder what would happen if a president elect died before inauguration.
Brand X

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 08:02 pm
@roger,
I know what you mean. I hope the latter doesn't happen by any other means than natural causes.
roger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 08:03 pm
@Brand X,
Well now, that was a carefully worded statement.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 08:54 pm
@roger,
Vice President elect?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 09:02 pm
@Lash,
I'm literally showing that proportional representation would not lead to "a few populous cities determin[ing] a single leader for such a disparate group of people spread across such a vast area". Your confident claim that it would be so is not borne out by the fact. The scenario you yourself conjured up happens to illustrate exactly that.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 09:59 pm
Why worry about a titular head when both houses of the bicameral legislature are controlled by the infidels?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 05:45 am
@Lash,
Actually it was an analogy, and it was a pretty lousy one at that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 07:52 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

They don't want states to define immigration law but are ok with liberal cities doing that very thing. Didn't we hear a lot of noise from the left after AZ passed SB1070, that immigration enforcement should be left to the feds and the states should stay out of it? If that is the case, then what gives cities to the right to ignore federal law and enact sanctuary policies of their own? This is playing both sides of the field on immigration.

Er... I don't think you're analyzing that just right. Saying that local police should not be an arm of immigration enforcement is still saying that immigration enforcement should be left to the feds.

Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

Of course you think it is foolish, you are more than likely a proponent of open borders.

You're more than likely an idiot, exemplified by your need to put words in other people's mouths. What I am, is a proponent of not causing the very problem one is trying to solve.

Baldimo wrote:
We already have those laws on the books, it doesn't stop people from getting fake ID's and SS#'s to get jobs. Those very things will bypass any support from the E-Verify system. It needs to be addressed from both sides. Harsher penalties for employers who hire illegals and harsher punishment and deportation for those who violate the law. We also need to update the Constitution to change what it means to be born an American citizen. The easiest way to do this is by allowing birthright citizenship to be given to a child who has 1 parent who is a citizen. This would cut down on the amount of people who come here simply to have a kid and then stay in the country.

Good luck on that amendment....

Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

The LAPD is making a horrible decision. I wonder if the feds will tie money support into these cities to the following the law. Don't like to follow the law, then you loose federal money.

Do they get federal money for immigration enforcement? If not, you're talking about an unfunded mandate, and I thought you "small government" types were against that.

What it comes down to, is that your "principles" go out the window the moment you see an advantage for your pet issue. All these "small government" legislators are suddenly jizzing in their pants at the prospect of blowing up the deficit by simultaneously lowering taxes and increasing spending.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:03 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Boxer to introduce bill to kill Electoral College.

It's merely a parting gesture. The world's most obnoxious overcompensating short person will retire from the Senate in December and return to her homogenious, segregated enclave in Marin County CA, amidst all her liberal supporters.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 01:20 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Er... I don't think you're analyzing that just right. Saying that local police should not be an arm of immigration enforcement is still saying that immigration enforcement should be left to the feds.

What the cities in question do is refuse to do anything to aide the feds on immigration issues. They ignore orders to hold illegal immigrants for deportation, they refuse to notify federal authorities of illegal immigrants who have been arrested for serious crimes. It's one thing to do "immigration patrols" it's another to just ignore the feds on immigration issues.

Quote:
You're more than likely an idiot, exemplified by your need to put words in other people's mouths. What I am, is a proponent of not causing the very problem one is trying to solve.

I'll choose to ignore the personal insult. Are you implying that building a wall and cracking down on immigration will lead to more and worse illegal immigration? Instead we don't have a border and that will end illegal immigration? Please expand on that line of logic if you can.

Quote:
Good luck on that amendment....

It would bring us into line with many of the EU counties. Isn't that something you guys long for, to be like the EU?

Quote:
Do they get federal money for immigration enforcement? If not, you're talking about an unfunded mandate, and I thought you "small government" types were against that.

Making a phone call to immigration enforcement and holding someone you already have in custody is an "unfunded mandate"? How can you care about unfunded mandates when Obama was trying to pass immigration laws by his "phone and pen". I don't recall you being bothered by unfunded mandates then.

Quote:
What it comes down to, is that your "principles" go out the window the moment you see an advantage for your pet issue.

No principles went out the window, in fact my principles are consent in terms to immigration law. It's your principles that are flexible. You are ok with liberal cities/states creating their own standards to ignore immigration law but you are not ok with conservative cities/states doing the very same thing. Either they all follow federal law on immigration or none of them do. You seem to be ok with picking and choosing based on the laws or lack there of.

Quote:
All these "small government" legislators are suddenly jizzing in their pants at the prospect of blowing up the deficit by simultaneously lowering taxes and increasing spending.

What does this have to do with LA, Denver and other such sanctuary cities ignoring, and proudly, that their police dept's will not work with immigration enforcement? Sounds like an unrelated political rant based on no information.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 03:04 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Drewdad wrote:
All these "small government" legislators are suddenly jizzing in their pants at the prospect of blowing up the deficit by simultaneously lowering taxes and increasing spending.

What does this have to do with LA, Denver and other such sanctuary cities ignoring, and proudly, that their police dept's will not work with immigration enforcement? Sounds like an unrelated political rant based on no information.

Does discussing multiple topics confuse you?

This is a thread titled "President Trump."
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 03:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Are you implying that building a wall and cracking down on immigration will lead to more and worse illegal immigration? Instead we don't have a border and that will end illegal immigration? Please expand on that line of logic if you can.

First, the wall will never be built. It's laughable on the face of it. Always has been.

Second, securing the border is a pipe dream. The War on Immigration will fail just like the War on Drugs, and for the same reason: the amount of money required to secure the border is prohibitive.

You can spend much less to do a really solid E-Verify system, and make it mandatory for employers.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 03:15 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Does discussing multiple topics confuse you?

You weren't discussing anything, it was a rant.

Quote:
This is a thread titled "President Trump."

But once again your comment didn't have anything to do with Trump, it was against the GOP in general.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:13 pm
http://i.imgur.com/OQAlMuC.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:19 pm
@Baldimo,
So?

Trump is the de facto leader of the GOP.
0 Replies