Are the presidential election results real? Or simply a simulation?

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:45 pm
@Baldimo,
The market is 100 points away from an all time record.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:46 pm
@oristarA,
I suspect most of this comes from professors worried about their next grant application for research and summer employment on the politically favored elements of pseudo science. Academics are subject to all the same self serving impulses that afflict the rerst of us. In fact government spending on politically favored subjects is itself a serious threat to the integrity of real science. It is likely that most of the present complainers are among the wors offenders in that area.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Trump will be our next president.

Some American people don't want to be sheeple:
Well, most of the protests are peaceful.
The New Yorker: AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY

USA Today: Thousands across the USA protest Trump victory
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 08:43 pm
I was immersed in a greatly saddened feeling last night as I thinking of the vulgar and unreasonable Trump being the president of the most powerful nation on this planet. Such painful feeling only occurred when most miserable events happened in my life.

Today I feel much better. Now I'm reading a Scientific American article:
Richard Dawkins and Other Prominent Scientists React to Trump’s Win
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:11 pm
@oristarA,
It's not quite clear if that was all some kind of bluff. This is mysterious to us in the US too.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:37 am
@oristarA,
So when are you moving to New Zealand?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 06:14 pm
@oristarA,
It's a simulation or a bad dream - whatever you need to help you through the days before you are forced to accept reality.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 03:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think America is in great peril. We don't know what will happen in a Trump administration. America is a democracy and our government has built in checks and balances.

I am not happy. But this is not the end of the world.

It does look like Trump will be our next president.

Yes, it is not the end of the world. But it is likely the end of American democracy:
Quote:
What is there to say? It's especially scary that there won't be separation of powers. It's also shocking (if the numbers are accurate) the percentage of women (and men) who voted for Trump. And of course science, climate, you name it ... you have to wonder.
Lisa Randall, professor of physics, Harvard University

The professor's "separation of powers" exactly refers to "checks and balances."

Quote:
My deepest worry is that this transition really could signal the end of the American Republic and the light it tried for 240 years, at least on paper, to shine on all the world.
—Carolyn Porco, Cassini Imaging Team leader; visiting scholar, University of California, Berkeley; director, CICLOPS, Space Science Institute
Source

Builder

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 04:06 am
@oristarA,
Heart strings with the tugging and ****; yeah, not fair.

This is heartless and stuff.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 06:57 am
@oristarA,
Apparently Professor Randall should stick to physics because her political science Acumen is woefully lacking. We still have a separation of powers. Last I heard we still have an executive branch legislative branch and the judicial branch
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:13 pm
@giujohn,
Why dont you move there and improve this country. I want osso to stay. She is sane.
giujohn

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Seriously, are you like off your meds? I was referring to Oristar not not osso...and you have been very abusive tonight. You should be suspended.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:12 pm
Now they are scary real damn it...by the way the simulation was "rigged"...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:29 pm
@oristarA,
Who's familiar with the voting law of the electoral college?

I've got contradicting messages about the voting of the electoral college.

One message as quoted as below says that the Electors of the Electoral College can cast their ballots as they wish. Even in states where that is not allowed to cast contrary to the way their states voted, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine.

The other message says if they don't cast in the way their states voted, their vote will be invalid and not be counted.

I wonder which message is correct.

Quote:

Electoral College: Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19

On December 19, the Electors of the Electoral College will cast their ballots. If they all vote the way their states voted, Donald Trump will win. However, they can vote for Hillary Clinton if they choose. Even in states where that is not allowed, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine - which we can be sure Clinton supporters will be glad to pay!
We are calling on the Electors to ignore their states' votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton. Why?
Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic.
Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President.
Hillary won the popular vote. The only reason Trump "won" is because of the Electoral College.
But the Electoral College can actually give the White House to either candidate. So why not use this most undemocratic of our institutions to ensure a democratic result?
SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.
There is no reason Trump should be President.
"It's the 'People's Will'"
No. She won the popular vote.
"Our system of government under our Constitution says he wins"
No. Our Constitution says the Electors choose.
"Too many states prohibit 'Faithless Electors'"
24 states bind electors. If electors vote against their party, they usually pay a fine. And people get mad. But they can vote however they want and there is no legal means to stop them in most states.

PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE!

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 07:13 am
@oristarA,
The electors (i.e. the 538 people who we chose to elect our president) are technically free to cast their votes as they wish. If 270 electors decide to vote for Hillary... than Hillary will be president in spite of the results of the election.

However....

The electors are chosen by the political parties. That means that 290 of the electors were chosen by the Republican parties of the states. You can be pretty sure that these electors were chosen as people who are certain to vote for Trump.

There have been a few cases of "faithless electors" (i.e. electors who didn't vote for the candidate that they are supposed to vote for). You can google it.

But it doesn't matter. Trump will be our next president.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Wonder what would happen if a billionaire offered electors a million dollars each if they would vote for him? Its the next step in the destruction of our democracy.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:53 pm
@RABEL222,
If money was such a factor, why didn't Hillary win? She way out raised and out spent Trump, but she lost...

oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Mr Trump "has shredded American values, American morals, American compassion, American tolerance, American decency, American sense of common purpose, American very identity — all the things that, however tenuously, made a nation out of a country." (excerpt from Farewell, America by Neal Gabler, I've replaced "our" with "American")

Yes, Mr.Trump may be the next president. But it is simply a president of a country, not a nation of American People.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:14 pm
@oristarA,
I do agree with Oristar.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 07:37 am
@oristarA,
8 years ago people like you would say that Obama won and he is now the President. You'll just have to deal with it.

So, Trump is President now and you will just have to deal with it.