old wiring...replace?

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 01:43 pm
our home has old aluminum wiring. Should I replace? a gfci in the kitchen is always tripping randomly.a light switch in living stopped working suddenly.Should i replace wiring?

dalehileman

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 02:42 pm
@electricdave1986,
Sorry no expert Dave, but I remember alum being abandoned, the return to copper. Somehow the former was far more dangerous

Help Man, Con, Oss
ossobucotemp

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 02:57 pm
@dalehileman,
One thing I leave to others is dealing with electrical problems.
dalehileman

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Oss I'll tryta 'member
0 Replies

seac

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:12 pm
@electricdave1986,
Yes, replacing aluminum wiring is recommended. There were several house fires in my community that was caused by old aluminum wiring.
roger

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:14 pm
@dalehileman,
I have a very vague recollection that aluminum became a hazard when a switch was in a partially open/closed position. I also seem to recall that aluminum wiring was common in mobile homes. This is commentary recalled from decades ago, so I'm not going out on a limb to spend someone else's money.
ossobucotemp

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:23 pm
@seac,
I wonder what year that replacing thing started.... thinking of my wiring and wondering, re when the houses in this, uh, shoddily built tract were under construction, 1986. There were lawsuits re the piping before I bought and was too late to join. Grrrrr, re my realtor. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised about the wiring as there have been issues.

I should have known better, to look up lawsuits to the construction company before purchase. Always learning.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 06:23 pm
@electricdave1986,
We had our whole house rewired with copper and new control box some decades ago. Even the lighting in the family room was installed. Since then, we had solar installed, and we now have another control box with a lot of warning signs. I don't fool with anything electrical any more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 07:29 pm
I second replacing aluminum wiring. I would be afraid to live with it long term.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 6 Nov, 2016 07:46 pm
Back in what I used to call north north (california) I bought an old bungalow from late teens to early 1920's. I had it rewired and also repiped with copper.
No wonder I've scant funds, re mortgages and our business income back then. Whatever, the house lives on, sturdier.

Dealing in art in a small town and small area is both interesting and rewarding, art for art and a challenge. We had some wonderful sales, once in a while, and none at all once in a while. That was steadied by our design business, but that too was fitful. We had work from caltrans and for people with tiny yards - most of all that, fun.

I don't regret any of this, but it aroused me, now lower income, hearing from Cicerone that I live in squalor.

We all have our different viewpoints. CI's tend to revolve around success and pride and I fully get his take, get where he is coming from. Mine revolves around explorations.
dalehileman

Mon 7 Nov, 2016 11:35 am
@roger,
Quote:
not going out on a limb
Rog you 'mem' it better'n I
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 24 Aug, 2017 11:34 am
@ossobucotemp,
I love exploration as much, and have traveled to 113 countries. I have friends in Singapore, Malaysia, Cuba, Mexico, Germany, Canada, France, Russia, Bhutan, England, and all across the US. I think that's quite an accomplishment. I'm sure I'm missing some countries.
0 Replies

Paultaylor1235

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 02:50 am
@electricdave1986,
Yes, you must replace old wiring system with the new one. It is highly recommendable to charge the old wires in your homes as well as to keep the electrical system secure and keep running without fault.
0 Replies

bdarrel1

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:14 pm
@electricdave1986,
Yes I would replace the aluminum wiring in your house. The problem with having aluminum is that your connections will most likely loosen up over time. This will cause overheating and a possible fire. If your like me and a little tight on money, you can do a process called Pig Tailing in order to convert each outlet over to copper. But I would recommend hiring an electrician to do this if your not too informed. Its safer, and just in case there's a problem, the electrician will know what to do.... The GFCI problem could be a few different reasons but since its an older home its probably due to worn insulation.
0 Replies

swizzynick25

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 03:34 pm
@electricdave1986,
yes i think it would be a good idea to replace the wire. and a new gfci in the kitchen as well. there has to be a short somewhere where the wire is connected. that could be the only reason why the light switch would stop working
0 Replies

patye91

Sun 20 May, 2018 03:08 am
@electricdave1986,
aluminium wiring is an old type of wiring an it is prohibited today. they were inviting fire at home and most of them were not earthed. Copper offer many advantages due to its one caracteristics and the price.
0 Replies

kevinfauntleroy123

Thu 24 May, 2018 02:54 pm
@electricdave1986,
You should either replace the wiring or reset the GFCI, but remember before always make sure the room your working in.. there is no power on!
0 Replies

taopathway

Sun 2 Dec, 2018 11:59 pm
@electricdave1986,
I doubt the "aluminum"is the culprit. It would not cost much or know how to shut the power off and replace the gfci outlet and other kitchen outlets, then replace the switches in the Living room and stop there. A lot of old switch receptacles devices fall apart over time, the wire lasts longer than them. just make sure you replace the receptacles and switches correctly. don't throw the baby out with the bath water and gut the hole house and spend 15 grand gutting the house to pull and replace wire then putting new walls and ceilings up afterwards.
0 Replies