leave a pension to/for

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 07:16 am
Hello. Which one is correct? Both have thousands of google hits by native English speakers. Is there an explanation for one being correct and not the other? Thanks very much.

Leave a pension to someone
Leave a pension for someone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 771 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 07:54 am
What is the context?

A "pension" mean a sum of money. Is that what you mean?

What do you mean by "leave"?
Doubtful

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 10:29 am
@PUNKEY,
A man died and left a pension for/to his wife.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 12:21 pm
You can use either 'for' or 'to'. You might use 'for' if the pension was in the control e.g. of a bank or lawyer and the wife just received regular payments (for example an annuity), and you might use 'to' if the wife had complete control, e.g. could release the capital. I say "might" because many people would use 'for and 'to' interchangeably without this distinction.
contrex

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 01:51 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
and the wife just received regular payments

Worth remembering that the correct word for a woman whose husband is dead is 'widow'.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Sweet-sweet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:23 am
@Doubtful,
Both are right. It's almost the same when you put the receiver's name on a letter or card. You may write "to Mary" or "for Mary". I remember my teacher told that "to" means the direction or intention the action to be done. "For" means who is intended receiver of the action.
0 Replies