BLM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 02:26 pm

Autistic Black teen attacked by White man who claims he was ‘scared’ for his wife

Chase T. Austin, 15, is a high school student-athlete with autism who was running a cross-country race for Corcoran High School in Rochester, New York, earlier this month. During the race, an unidentified White male stopped his car and pushed Coleman to the ground. According to witness statements, the man began yelling at Coleman to “Get out of here.” A short time later, police were able to catch up to the man who assaulted Coleman to get his side of the story.

Coleman was running on the road and the man claimed to have been fearful for the safety of his wife who was riding with him in the car. So the man stopped the car and assaulted Coleman because he was afraid the teen was going to steal his wife’s purse. The man claimed that his car was broken into earlier and the memory of that incident caused him to confront the teen, who is non-verbal because of his autism. The attacker did not realize this when he was shouting at Coleman from his moving car before the assault. An officer took a report and the suspect was released. Last week, the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office informed Coleman and his parents that Judge Caroline Morrison of Rochester City Court denied the warrant application for the arrest of the suspect for charges of second-degree harassment.

Chase’s mother, Clarise Coleman, stated to the media, “They are treating him like a third-class citizen. He has the double whammy, he’s Black and has a disability. So it’s not important, that’s what Rochester is telling me.”

Susan Boyle of the Syracuse Common Council became aware of the situation and contacted Rochester District Attorney Sandra Doorley for answers in the incident. In a letter, Boyle asked why a warrant was not issued. The letter stated in part: “To be lost due to a racist, aggressive, unprovoked attack on an African American minor with absolutely no consequences is, for lack of a stronger word, unacceptable.”

The letter requested an explanation why the action should go unpunished, stating: “Chase Coleman deserves an answer, the parents, teachers, coaches and teammates who have worked so hard to build Chase up to a place where he feels safe and accepted …. deserve an explanation and The Syracuse City School District deserves an explanation and an assurance that all of our City School District students will be protected under the law while visiting Rochester, NY.”

http://rollingout.com/2016/10/31/autistic-black-teen-running-race-attacked-scared-white-man/

A female witness, identified as Collin Thompson, told police that she saw Chase running in the middle of the road. She said an older white man got out of the car and approached Chase and pushed him to the ground, yelling “Get out of here,” the Post reports.

Another witness, Kris Van Metter, told Syracuse.com that he had just finished his bicycle ride when he saw the same thing.

“I see a grown man, who is quite tall and fairly heavy … exit the vehicle and give this young man a shove that puts him back 10 feet and flat on his butt,” Van Metter told the news site. “Like, just shoved him across the road. The kid didn’t seem to be doing anything but standing there, obviously had nothing in his hands and weighed all of 130 pounds. This guy was easily twice that.”

Both witnesses got the man’s license plate number, and police were able to track down 57-year-old Martin MacDonald who lives in a suburb of Rochester.

MacDonald admitted to pushing Chase to the ground, according to a police report.

“When asked him why he did that, he replied that he thought Chase was going to mug his wife and take her purse,” the incident report read, according to the Post. “MacDonald’s wife was sitting in the front passenger seat at the time of the . When asked him why he thought that, MacDonald told him that some youths had broke into his car recently and that crossed his mind. MacDonald went on to say that Chase wasn’t responding to him telling him to move out of the road.”

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2016/10/autistic-black-teen-got-lost-running-a-5k-was-assaulted-by-man-who-was-afraid-of-getting-mugged/

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 02:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Geez Louise..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 02:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Just another incident to prove that blacks always end up at the wrong end of the stick just for being black. Truly upsetting.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 06:25 pm
Quote:
blacks always end up at the wrong end of the stick

Maybe just a tad overstated/over-simplified
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 06:30 pm
@snood,
But close enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 06:31 pm
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/amid_wave_of_support_family_of_shoved_autistic_teen_plans_race_in_his_honor.html

Quote:
Offers of help reached the Colemans from beyond Syracuse. Running groups in Rochester quickly offered to host their own invitational in Chase's honor. Readers from all over the region sent emails of support.

"The show of support and love, it has literally brought tears to my eyes,'' Coleman said.

John Horkheimer, of Rochester, who was a state champion cross-country runner in 1988, when he ran for Pittsford Mendon High School, said he also wants to help Chase resume running.

"I'd be really happy to meet with the family and see if I could help,'' he said.

Glanville, the Baltimore cop, was one of the first to respond. As an African American, she was concerned that race may have played a role in the incident, she said.

Chase is black, and the man who shoved him is white. But, said Glanville: "I'm not really sure what motivated the man to do what he did.''

More important, she said, was the outcome: Chase quit a sport he enjoyed and may have lost some faith in adults.

Glanville, who has a 14-year-old son with autism, said Chase might also be convinced that he did something wrong, she said.

"I think the most important thing is to let him know that he didn't (do anything wrong), and that he can run again and be safe and protected,'' Glanville said. "If I need to fly to Syracuse and watch him race, I would do it.''

I hope Chase returns to running.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 07:20 pm
@snood,
Maybe, you have the skill to be more complex with one sentence. I'm not that good.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 07:10 am
http://assets.amuniversal.com/7c50e8f081a40134e823005056a9545d.gif
McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 07:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I consider your cartoon to be racist. You are suggesting that black people are incapable of doing the same as anyone else and I do not believe that is true.

Why are you being racist?
snood

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 07:57 am
@McGentrix,
If we show you accounts that republican legislators and election officials have purposefully made voting harder in districts heavily black in population, you would still deny it. That's what the cartoon is referring to - not any claim that blacks are inferior. The really putrid thing about you is that you know all about that, and still do things like write that ridiculous accusation of bobsal and simply not acknowledge republican voter suppression. You really suck hard McGentrix
engineer

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 08:11 am
@snood,
All of the voter suppression stuff bothers me but what is most amazing is those who are honestly proud of their actions to suppress the vote. Winning has become so important that people are ecstatic that their side figured out a why to actively stop people from voting. My son's undergraduate university was in a small town where there were more students than residents. After the legislature flipped Republican in 2010 the local election board flipped as well. They decided to close all the polling spots on campus and just have one site off campus for the entire section of town where the campus was. That forced 15,000+ students to use one inconvenient site. That's how a lot of these students were introduced to voting. If they can't be American enough to at least think people should have access to the polls, at least those committing these actions should have the decency to be ashamed.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 08:39 am
@engineer,
What reason did they give for closing the polling places? They had to have given a reason, right?

How many students are local? Most college students aren't local. In NYS, you have to be registered locally to use the polling locations otherwise you have to use an absentee ballot.

So, how many students did that action actually effect?
engineer

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 08:49 am
@McGentrix,
Their reason was to "save money" and because many college students register to vote for the first time in college, it impacted many thousands including my son. (Both my college age sons registered to vote on campus).

From this link:
Quote:
 • The GOP-controlled Watauga County Board of Elections in Boone, North Carolina, voted along party lines to close an early voting and general election polling place at Appalachian State University. Instead, the county limited early voting to one site in Boone and created the state’s third-largest voting precinct, with 9,300 voters at a precinct designed for 1,500, with only thirty-five parking places. It’s inaccessible by public transportation and over a mile from campus along a 45 mph road with no sidewalk. “I feel like the people (students) who really care might come all the way out here to vote,” said Ashley Blevins, a junior at Appalachian State, “but I know a lot of people who are like, ‘eh, it’s too far—I don’t think I’m going to walk that far,’ because they don’t really have another way of getting here.”
McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 09:16 am
@engineer,
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. I didn't know that college students could register to vote at their college. I have only seen where you register where your permanent address is. My son had to mail in a request for an absentee ballot and when he received it he filled it out and mailed it back. I had hoped he would have been too lazy to go through the effort but the campus has a bunch of people helping make sure everyone votes.

Perhaps the college should get a bus to get students to the polls?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 06:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
What does the Bureau of Land Management have to do with this?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Winning has become so important that people are ecstatic that their side figured out

Its the thing that 'gets' me the most - that winning at any cost is still winning.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm

Black Mississippi Church Burned And Vandalized With ‘Vote Trump’
There were no reported injuries.

11/02/2016 10:35 am ET | Updated 2 hours ago

Amanda Terkel Senior Political Reporter, The Huffington Post
Angie Quezada/Delta Daily News

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/crop_0_0_636_434,scalefit_630_noupscale/5819f0cf170000c3045bb2eb.png?cache=b23jusffym

The Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Greenville, Mississippi, was burned and vandalized Tuesday night.

A black church in Mississippi was burned and vandalized with pro-Donald Trump graffiti late Tuesday.

Authorities responded to the fire at Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Greenville, Mississippi, Tuesday night. Delta Daily News reports that the majority of the damage was to the main sanctuary and there were no reported injuries. Someone had spray-painted the words “Vote Trump” along the side of the building.

A woman at the nearby Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church told The Huffington Post that Hopewell is a historically black church. She said the community is in shock over what happened.

Greenville Mayor Errick Simmons called the incident “a heinous, hateful and cowardly act” in a press conference Wednesday, adding that it was “an attack on the black church and the black community.”

“This happened in the ‘50s and the ‘60s,” he said. “This should not happen in 2016.”

Police Chief Delando Wilson said police are interviewing witnesses and talking to “a person of interest,” although there are no suspects yet.

The FBI told The Clarion-Ledger, a Mississippi newspaper, that it is aware of the situation and is investigating to “determine if any civil rights crimes were committed.”

There is already a GoFundMe page raising money to repair the church. GoFundMe told HuffPost it is working with the organizer of the page and will only release the funds to the church directly.
Rogelio V. Solis/Associated Press
The sanctuary of the church sustained the most damage.
Greenvile Fire Chief Ruben Brown said firefighters found flames and smoke coming from the sanctuary just after 9 p.m. Tuesday.
Bishop Clarence Green is the pastor at the 200-member Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Greenville, Mississippi.

HUFFPOST READERS: What’s happening in your state or district? The Huffington Post wants to know about all the campaign ads, mailers, robocalls, candidate appearances and other interesting campaign news happening by you. Email any tips, videos, audio files or photos to [email protected].
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:48 pm

North Carolina Is Engaging in “Insane” Jim Crow–Style Voter Suppression, Says Federal Judge

By Mark Joseph Stern NOV. 3 2016 10:21 AM

U.S. District Judge Loretta Biggs slammed an ongoing North Carolinian voter purge during a dramatic Wednesday hearing, telling county attorneys that she was “horrified” by the “insane” process by which voters could be removed from the rolls without their knowledge.

“It almost looks like a cattle call, the way people are being purged,” Biggs said. “This sounds like something that was put together in 1901,” when the state used Jim Crow laws to prevent black citizens from casting a ballot.

Biggs called a hearing after the NAACP sued several North Carolina counties for purging nearly 6,700 voters—most of them black Democrats—from the rolls. These purges were legal under a state law that permits any person to revoke any other person’s voting rights.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/03/federal_judge_slams_north_carolina_voter_purge.html
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
ugly stuff indeed
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 05:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
And some claim (like I used to) that racism is dead. Its not. Its here and we need to deal with it.
0 Replies