Low grade electrical current

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 10:54 am
I replaced a wall switch with a regular on/off type switch because our light continued to flicker and go out. I decided to replace the light fixture also, and now it seems I have a small amount of current
even though the switch is in the off position! What did I do incorrectly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:00 pm
@Jackrobert,
My first guess Jack is that you ought to try a new switch

Incidentally how did you measure it and how much was it
Jackrobert

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:16 pm
@dalehileman,
I thought it best if I tried the electrical out before I installed the new light fixture, so I placed a light bulb in a temp receptacle and it worked great. Then when I turned it off with the wall switch, I noticed the bulb flickered just a little and continued to do so, never did complete light up, just small flicker. Otherwise, all seems to be good.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:23 pm
@Jackrobert,
Thanks Jack; still sounds like leaky switch. However you might look for other conductors leading from the light
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 02:42 pm
I agree that it is probably a bad switch. But if it was already wired up it could be that the hot wire is going to the light before it goes to the switch and is hot all the time.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:15 pm
@RABEL222,
Rab you're onto sumpt'in but you might clarify w/schem
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 06:01 pm
@Jackrobert,
Pull the bulb out and check it with a voltmeter to see what you have with and without the switch on. Then completely disconnect the switch and try it again. You could have a problem in the wiring that was causing your original issue. If the problem completely goes away when you disconnect the switch, you probably just need a new switch.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:45 am
@engineer,
For Jack, thanks Eng. Another possibility, without reviewing the entire rig: Maybe there's nothing wrong at all; the new bulb is LED or other semi and the flickering isd caused by capacitive coupling to nearby conductors

Doesn't this'n and many, many other such omissions also drive you nuts that the speller can't recognize "is,"esp since the "d" is adjacent

Those software spelling engrs: Where do they come from
0 Replies