The Good Place: A discussion (with possible Spoilers)

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 09:59 pm
I am thoroughly enjoying "The Good Place"; a unique comedy that references Mills and Kant and centers around philosophical ideas and dilemmas.

The basic plot is that a woman gets to "The Good Place" (a version of heaven) by mistake. It is a Utilitarian view of Heaven... you get positive points for doing good things (feeding orphans or giving up your seat on a bus) and negative points for doing bad things (arson or using "facebook" as a verb). With enough points you go to the Good Place. Without enough points you go to the Bad Place (which hasn't been fully explained yet).

The protagonist gets to Heaven by mistake. She is matched by an Ethics professor who decides to keep her secret to help her become a better person by reading books by Philsophers (such as Kant). Her presence causes serious problems in the functioning of the Good Place. Hilarity ensues.

The comedy is brilliant. The dialog about philosophy is entertaining and informed, and the characters are fun.

Is anyone else enjoying this show as much as I am?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,267 • Replies: 20
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Max forgive but what sort of show it it
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
I suppose I would call it a comedy. It is weekly on NBC.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks Max, I presume that makes it tv
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:37 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't have a TV..... It can be streamed from nbc.com.
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 04:28 am
@maxdancona,
wow, sounds like a stretch forUS teevee. Originality and thinking is not celebrated on our screens.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:23 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
not celebrated
Maybe not Man, but surely present in unusually high q
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 08:04 am
@farmerman,
TV is getting a lot smarter. There are several shows that have extremely good writers creating interesting story lines. I can give you several shows that are celebrated (deservedly) for originality and thinking.

We are in the "golden age of television". The fact that TV shows are now hiring the best writers is a big part of this.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 01:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
can give you several shows
Thanks ax, deserves OP
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Did anyone else finish the first season?
0 Replies

tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 07:42 am
@maxdancona,
The series has … passed away. Four seasons and countless Jeremy Bearimys afterwards.

I was relatively late to entering this series. I started bingeing it last autumn. It's a brilliantly funny and moving show that ended in a near perfect manner.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 12:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I was relatively late to entering this series.

You're relatively late. I saw the season finale the other day and that was it.

The Kid's fiancé was watching it on Netflix. I thought it was the beginning. I must admit I didn't like it, but I've only seen the finale.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Wait a second. Did you watch the season finale or the series finale? There's a big difference. There would be a ton of stuff lost in translation (character and story-wise) by only watching the last episode of the entire show.

For you? It would be like watching a movie with only inside jokes that you have no clue on context and content.

Try watching at least the first episode/series pilot before condemning the entire series.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 02:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wasn't condemning it because that would be too harsh. I saw the last episode. She had been watching it in Brazil, I'd never heard of it, assumed it was episode 1.

They're called spoilers for a reason. I really don't see much point in seeing it all now to be honest.

I liked Ted Danson, but I've always liked him.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
That's a really different character for him, isn't it? This is not Sam Malone territory.

I had been reading positive reviews of the show, but barely got around to watching it a couple of weeks ago.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:16 pm
I didn't think the ending of The Good Place was that strong. It didn't matter... the story was brilliant and the ideas about what it means to be a good person are the soul of the show.

It is definitely worth watching from the beginning.

I am being very careful not to spoil anything Smile.
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:25 pm
@maxdancona,
I started bingeing on it last year and saw all of it including the series finale this morning. It captured my attention particularly in the beginning. I found myself losing interest but felt invested in it so I hung in there. Ultimately it was worth it, though by the end it was a bit flat as I felt the writers ran out of steam.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
I've not seen Cheers for ages I was thinking of the character he played in Bored to Death. I really enjoyed that.

He's also very good in Curb Your Enthusiasm.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 07:01 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I started bingeing on it last year and saw all of it including the series finale this morning. It captured my attention particularly in the beginning. I found myself losing interest but felt invested in it so I hung in there. Ultimately it was worth it, though by the end it was a bit flat as I felt the writers ran out of steam.

I agree about the ending. The second and third seasons were incredibly good. The ending had to be feel good, I don't know where else they could have taken it.

I loved the "Trolley Problem" episode... and the point system... and the feckless Good Place management taking off.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 07:24 pm
@maxdancona,
I winced through the first episode on Netflix. Campy version of Peewee's Playhouse that had poor acting, an even worse story line and stupid gag lines that weren't as sophisticated as proposed. Ted Danson should be ashamed.

A no from me.

1. Forums
  2. » The Good Place: A discussion (with possible Spoilers)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 03:38:22