Regarding Making a Reference

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:36 pm
I have a sentence reading: "He’d marveled at the images featuring those not performing the ritual itself standing with their arms raised, promoting for the world to see how they very much were sinners in the hands of an angry god."

Now my question is, since I'm making more of a cheeky reference than directly saying 'this is a book/sermon/whatever you classify it as', do I still capitalize it as though I were making the direct reference or do I leave it undercase? I'm a bit italics-crazed so I'll probably do that regardless of the answer, but I'm more worried about the capitalization rules if anyone could help me out, please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 325 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Courtanie
contrex

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:00 pm
Not sure what you mean by 'capitalize' here. What you have quoted is a sentence which needs only one capital letter (the first).
dalehileman

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:18 pm
@Courtanie,
Quote:
do I still capitalize it
Yes Court I'm a bit confused too. Capitalize what
Courtanie

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:27 pm
@dalehileman,
the reference to 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God', do I capitalize the title or not. Sorry, really should've been more specific in that whoops
0 Replies

Courtanie

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:29 pm
@contrex,
I wasn't sure if I needed to capitalize 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' since that's a reference to a famous sermon if that makes any sense. I'm sorry I really should've been more clear
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:08 pm
Ah. I see. Jonathan Edwards. Great Awakening. It depends how subtle you wish to be. If the intended audience is likely to be familiar with the sermon, you could leave it as it is, (except that I would capitalize God, if I meant the Judaeo-Christian deity) and rely on the reader to pick up the allusion. Slightly less subtle would be to surround "sinners in the hands of an angry God" with quote marks (just like that). What I would definitely not do is capitalize the nouns and adjectives as in the title of the sermon (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).
Courtanie

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:22 pm
@contrex,
The former is definitely what I was leaning towards the most, so thank you so much!
0 Replies