Wedding invitation brings up some memories

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:17 am
Hey everyone,

I got a wedding invitation from an old friend recently. The last time I tried to contact her, which was years ago, I sent her a friend request on Facebook but she rejected it. We used to hang out sometimes as children, but we were never really close. I'm not a spiteful person but I can't let go of that I felt rejected when she denied my friend request. Yet her mom says that her daughter considers me to be her sister. The difficult thing here is that our families have been knowing each other for years, particularly my mother and hers who are kinda close so I felt pressured to attend the wedding.

I grew up in a modest family and we've had some financial hardship and sometimes things were serious. My mother's friend is aware of this situation and is generally understanding. However, there were some episodes that my mother recounted in which she had noticed her friend would never ask her to join her group of friends for lunch or dinner because they went to mildly expensive places.

I told my mother that if this person was a true friend, she would ask her to meet in a cheaper place just for the sake of sharing a moment between friends. I feel that Bride's mother friend has some hidden sort of prejudice about our situation and that makes me feel like she looks down on us in some way. Their family have a comfortable financial situation and they own their house. Personally I don't like the my mother is treated by her friend.

To add to the wedding, I felt the bride (the old friend) wasn't truly happy to see me there. I'd be curious to know why would she invite me when we haven't seen nor spoken with each other for 10 years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 346 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:12 am
@lilyflower7,
She invited you because she's got a spot on her guest list. And she may be casting around for a gift (yes, really. There are couples which do this. It's underhanded and nasty but it does happen).

So decline and send them a nice card congratulating them and then don't give it another thought. You are under no obligation to send them one thin dime. An invitation isn't a financial obligation.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:19 am
Yes. Send them a card with no money enclosed.

No need to feel that you are obligated in any way to attend the wedding of such an acquaintance.

Try to keep your mother's experience away from your own. She can deal with that by herself.

PS You didn't go to any showers for this bride, did you? Were you invited?
How do you know you were blocked or rejected on her FB? That seems odd.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wedding invitation brings up some memories
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:08:28