Chris Christie Is Over

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 02:34 pm

Chris Christie Is Over

Even though 2016 appears to be the year of painful, public disqualification from higher office, you may be forgiven for not noticing the extraordinary implosion of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. After all, the Trump surrogate and White House Transition chair has benefitted from his early endorsement of the Republican presidential nominee in unusual fashion: Christie’s power in the Grand Ole Party has decreased, rather than increased. The likelihood of a plum position in the Trump administration—Attorney General, perhaps, since Christie was spurned as the Republican running mate—is decidedly dim, what with the presently apocalyptic predictions about November 8.

Instead, Trump’s gift to Christie has been shadow: the top Republican’s national meltdown has obscured that of the one-time rising Republican star and sitting New Jersey governor. But make no mistake—Christie’s is a fall of epic proportions, precipitated by an unfathomably petty revenge plot. The contrast of the two, the top-heavy-ness of the fallout compared to the insignificance of the initial transgression, would be comic, were it not so tragic. Remember that in November of 2012, Governor Christie had a 72 percent approval rating. Today, it stands at 21 percent.

While most of America has been busy digesting a nearly-daily intake of sexual assault allegations, paranoid screeds about a rigged election, and a wildly vituperative back and forth between party elders and their Republican leader, Governor Christie’s political career has been quietly, steadily unraveling.

There are some who will point to the governor’s early and eager embrace of Trump as the beginning of his political demise (others may point to his wife’s obvious disdain for the man for whom her husband was putting his reputation on the line), but the ongoing trial of Christie aides Bridget Kelly and Bill Baroni for their roles in the Bridgegate scandal has revealed a culture of craven and unusually vindictive acts (even for New Jersey pols). The testimonies are devastating to Christie’s political ambitions.

Most damning, two of his top aides* (former Deputy Chief of Staff Kelly and former Port Authority official and one-time Christie henchman, David Wildstein) have now testified under oath that Christie knew of the lane closures—ones that would strand thousands of motorists on the George Washington Bridge—in advance. Prosecutors have maintained that the lanes were closed by Kelly and Baroni as retribution against the mayor of Fort Lee, Mark Sokolich, who refused to endorse Christie during the governor’s reelection campaign, and whose residents were most affected by the obscene traffic delays, (the defense teams have maintained their clients’ innocence against nine charges of corruption and fraud).

On Friday, Kelly testified that she reviewed the plan with Christie on August 12, 2013—nearly a month before the lanes were closed for an alleged “traffic study.” This directly contradicts what Christie has maintained all along, most famously in his 108 minute-long press conference on January 9 of 2014, immediately following the Bridgegate allegations—saying he had no knowledge of the lane closures:

“I had no knowledge or involvement in this issue, in its planning or it execution,” said Christie, “and I am stunned by the abject stupidity that was shown here.”

The fact that three of his consiglieres have testified exactly otherwise is very bad for Christie, but it’s perhaps the stuff the governor did afterwards that is unprecedented.

Read it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/chris-christie-is-over/505241/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,447 • Replies: 31

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I believe Chris Christie's public life is over.
Quote:
A poll out Wednesday from Quinnipiac University showed Christie's approval rating hitting a new low and also being the lowest of any governor in the history of the pollster's surveys across nine states. More than twice as many New Jerseyans disapproved of Christie (64 percent) as approved of him (29 percent).6 days ago
Chris Christie's poll numbers are absolutely brutal - The Washington ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../this-poll-is-brutal-for-pot...The Washington Post
Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:18 pm
When these wheeler-dealers miscalculate their little schemes, such as what happened here, it is always interesting to see them unravel. Only two years ago he was being mentioned as a major contender for his party's Presidential nomination, now he's taking the big fall over starting a traffic jam.

Damn, this is entertaining.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:19 pm
@Blickers,
Nobody could come up with a better fictional story, but when we have people like Chris Christie in government, they debunk fiction when the real stuff become more bazaar.
We can look forward to what Trump will come up with.
Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
With luck, we won't have to find out if Trump never gets into government.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:08 pm
@Blickers,
I was just telling my wife that I can't understand how this election is so close when women, college educated women and men, and minorities - especially Hispanics will be voting for Hillary. Isn't that the majority?
Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Only about 25% of the people out there have college degrees. Hillary wins white women, (noncollege and college combined), by only a slim margin. Trump wins noncollege men by such a huge margin-some polls say 70%-that it makes up most of what he loses with white women overall, college men, and minorities of all kinds.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:37 pm
@Blickers,
Not true! "Nearly 40 percent of working-aged Americans now hold a college degree, according to a new report from the Lumina Foundation. In 2012, 39.4 percent of Americans between 25 and 64 had at least a two-year college degree."
pbs.org source

Chris Christie is a disgrace, so is Trump - they're two peas in a pod and together they'll go down after November 8th.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
I hope you're right about Trump and Christie.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Trust me, there are some decent people left in this country,
they're just not as loud as these buffoons.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I was talking about a four year degree. Plus, there are substantial numbers of people who are past working age.

Okay, just checked it. 32.5% of all Americans 25 or older have at least a bachelor's degree. I imagine that includes the over 65's as well, who were in their teens when college was not the usual thing.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d15/tables/dt15_104.10.asp?current=yes
revelette2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:48 am
@CalamityJane,
It looks that way, I sure hope we are not surprised in a bad way. In spite of the polls and common sense, I am still on pins and needles....
Blickers

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:02 am
@revelette2,
You should be on pins and needles. Usually only about 60% vote. That leaves 40% who usually don't. If even just 25% of the usual nonnvoters show up on Election Day, all the polls are useless. I have nightmares about hordes of Klansmen coming out of their taverns and battalions of Malheur Bird Refuge style militias coming out of their forest hideaways on November 8 to push the election to Trump.
revelette2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:11 am
@Blickers,
Funny way to put it, hope your visions are prophetic. You think a low turn out will be good for Hillary?
engineer

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:25 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Usually only about 60% vote. That leaves 40% who usually don't. If even just 25% of the usual nonnvoters show up on Election Day, all the polls are useless.

I don't think that is true. Pollsters do it differently, but some poll "registered" voters, so poll "likely" voters and the few times I've been called, the pollsters have directly asked "how likely is it that you will vote", so if those numbers are dramatically different this year, they should be baked into the polls.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:27 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
You think a low turn out will be good for Hillary?

too late for that, unless no one shows up at the regular vote
the early voting numbers are very high

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/10/26/day-two-early-voting-texas-was-even-higher-day-1/

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/10/25/good-news-democrats-florida-early-voting-turnout-surging-democratic-counties.html

this little clip

Quote:
While Donald Trump holds big rallies, Hillary Clinton has been targeting voting and building the Democratic ground operation.

Trump’s rallies may have played well on television, but it Democrats who have been doing the work that is required to win an election.

So far, the Democratic ground game is crushing Trump’s yard signs, hats, and TV bluster.

is like a replay of Sanders v Clinton in the primary

fascinating to watch

looks like Mrs. Clinton's team examined Mr. Obama's election campaign strategies closely
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:36 am
@Blickers,
I read some years ago that Asians as a group has the highest level of college education. Our family of four are college grads, but many of our childhood friends did not go to college.
revelette2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:42 am
@ehBeth,
Good, music to my ears.

Btw, I meant not prophetic. Be horrible if on election day the country roads are raining down hells angels on their Harley's intimidating voters like Trump asked them to. Pictured something like 'Mad Max' with his description.
Blickers

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote cicerone imposter:
Quote:
I read some years ago that Asians as a group has the highest level of college education. Our family of four are college grads, but many of our childhood friends did not go to college.

Back when you were growing up in the forties and fifties, almost nobody went to college. In 1950 only 6.2% of the country were four year college grads. Take a look at an old movie from that era-college was for rich kids only. So you and your family were very unusual, even for Asians.

As for your Asian friends in the neighborhood who never went to college, wanna bet almost all their children and grandchildren did? In 2015 no less than 51.8% of people who identified themselves as Asian, (which includes people of Asian descent, even if their ancestors came over from Asia during the Civil War, lol), had four year college degrees. That's the highest percentage by far of all the groups in the Census.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:15 pm
@revelette2,
Uh, don't give them ideas.
0 Replies