Mirai DDOS Attack hits US East Coast

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 04:45 pm
Are you on the East Coast of the United States? Did you try to get on Twitter, reddit, Spotify, Paypal, Amazon or Netflix today, but couldn't, or they were super slow? Well, it was because of a coordinated distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack on Dyn, an Internet performance company in New Hampshire.

See: https://www.wired.com/2016/10/internet-outage-ddos-dns-dyn/ for more details. Your computer is okay; you are fine. And these sites are, it appears, back up. But this was an awfully nasty attack, and it may, unfortunately, be the shape of things to come.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 10

perennialloner

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:02 pm
@jespah,
This explains so much. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:06 pm
@jespah,
Gah.
I'm dumb on all this, but I do suddenly worry re the future - not just about this one instance.

Picturing the war of the tech worlds yet again...

I got beaten up re thumbs saying I am not interested in science fiction or sci fi.
Hmm, heavy anger on a2k.
So, I am probably going to row over to the planet SPLOT.

(Jes, I do want to read your book, I know it is good, that's a given.)

Soon enough, the revenge of the Splots.
Watch out for the bacon.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:16 pm
@jespah,
I'm on the east coast, and less than 10 minutes from Dyn's headquarters, but I didn't happen to use those services this morning, so I didn't notice the attack at all until I read about it on the news.

Very concerning that they are able to turn Cams and Printers into members of the BotNet. Not so long ago systems like that were so unique in code that they could not be effectively attacked. But I guess now that everything is becoming "HTML-ified" it is opening these devices up as targets.

People tend to install devices like that with the default manufacturing passwords because it's easy.

I wonder how many BotNets are out there already which nobody knows about?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:20 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah. (I didn't mean to minimize).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:47 pm
I use Google's DNS from home and we use level 3 at work and I did not notice any issues. I did read about though. Internet of things continues to be a bad idea in my opinion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 06:15 pm

Does anyone still use their ISP's default domain name server anymore?

I use Norton ConnectSafe A because it automatically blocks some of the dangerous malware sites out there.

If I wasn't looking to block dangerous sites, I would almost certainly use Google's DNS for their superior reliability.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_ConnectSafe

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

(Remember if switching to a different DNS, you need to switch your router settings in addition to your computer settings.)
jespah

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:10 am
@oralloy,
A lot of people may not even realize they can change it. Recognize I am still teaching people online how to copy and paste, and I have been since 1997.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 12:06 pm
@jespah,
heh, that's the same year I started doing that for money.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 02:50 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

A lot of people may not even realize they can change it. Recognize I am still teaching people online how to copy and paste, and I have been since 1997.

I can relate to this statement 100%..
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 02:53 pm
@rosborne979,
I lived in NH for over 10 years I've been getting updates lately detailing the NH specifically Targeted Attacks from a friend of mine. I can't remember what the Link is but there is a Realtime Map of the DDOS attacks being they have been so frequent.
0 Replies