metaphysical

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:34 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Philosophy

I am interested in anything to do with metaphysical research but i do not know what section I should submit my question.

I have just finished reading two books,"Crossing Over " by John Edward and " Heaven and Earth", by James Van Praagh.

Who out there have read these two books ? I would enjoy reading your comments.

Joe Harris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 660 • Replies: 3
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
Re: metaphysical
joe harris wrote:
I have just finished reading two books,"Crossing Over " by John Edward and " Heaven and Earth", by James Van Praagh.

Pure carny bunkum.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:24 am
I have very little idea what carny bunkum is, but if it means "unsubstantiated reports combined with trickery", I agree wholeheartedly with Joe from Chicago ( for once ) Smile.

John Edward's "abilities" can be readily explained by a mixture of psychological theory and the techniques which quack doctors, fortune tellers and other fakes have been using for centuries.

A common trick which showmen use, when they want to prove that they know information about people they haven't met is to have people listen in on the audience and ringup family members. But I don't even think that you need to use that to explain John Edward's readings. All that he needs to do, to get the level of accuracy he gets, is to key into the cues which audience members are giving.

Somebody reading this post has a brother starting with B.......... ( scanning around) Ben, Bill, Bob, Brian. I'm sensing a B . This person is very special to one of you.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
This is hilarious, I actually just watched a show called "Bullshit." And this was the subject of one of the episodes... Those two authors in particular. To be in the audience of Praggh's show, each person must sign a legally binding contract and swear not to divulge to ANYONE any information about their experiences in the show. Blahblahblah... It's all bullshit. If you'd like to see, the DVD's were released by Showtime it's it's called "Penn & Teller: Bullshit".
0 Replies