Why Is Assange Helping Trump?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It was pretty difficult getting hold of Abu Omar too, at least legally.

Abu Omar was directly involved with al Qaeda and rounded up during the war fever. Assange is a gadfly.

Quote:
Sabrina De Sousa,

Dual citizen of the US and being sent back from Portugal after a Judaical process she and her lawyers participated in.

Assange has no citizenship in the US and no judicial process has gone on regarding his possible extradition to the US, a process that as of now has not been officially made.

Quote:
how successful has that been

He's been restricted to a small area for what, four or so years? Pretty successful. Wikileaks' last few releases haven't splashed anywhere near as successfully as they used to, and the latest releases show evidence of having been hugely edited and rewritten by the hackers that released them.

I wish Assange would go face justice in Sweden and do something about the integrity of of what he has released.

I don't want to trivialize what Assange is facing in Sweden, refusing to use condoms when availed himself of sex workers, but it seems like something relatively "minor".
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 10:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Abu Omar was directly involved with al Qaeda and rounded up during the war fever. Assange is a gadfly.

Doesn't exactly fill me, or any other European with confidence.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Dual citizen of the US and being sent back from Portugal after a Judaical process she and her lawyers participated in.

Which just sounds like the US pressurising a weaker country to release one of its own, one intimately involved in illegal extraordinary rendition, while the victim spent 4 years illegally detained. Btw, just blaming extraordinary rendition on war fever is a lousy excuse. America only abuses international law when it's gripped with war fever, and as long as it doesn't get gripped by war fever again it will try not to break the law, sounds like the excuse of a bully trying to justify its behaviour. Treatment of Snowden and Manning only seals that image into the non US psyche.

Assange has no citizenship in the US and no judicial process has gone on regarding his possible extradition to the US, a process that as of now has not been officially made.

Quote:
how successful has that been

He's been restricted to a small area for what, four or so years? Pretty successful. Wikileaks' last few releases haven't splashed anywhere near as successfully as they used to, and the latest releases show evidence of having been hugely edited and rewritten by the hackers that released them.

I wish Assange would go face justice in Sweden and do something about the integrity of of what he has released.

I don't want to trivialize what Assange is facing in Sweden, refusing to use condoms when availed himself of sex workers, but it seems like something relatively "minor".
[/quote]
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 12:01 pm
http://i.imgur.com/octsVnM.png
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 12:15 pm
@McGentrix,
Well -
ER -
Did you notice that Trump said 'hombres?'
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:16 pm
An insider's account of what went on inside WikiLeaks and why Assange is out to get Clinton.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/heres-what-i-learned-about-julian-assange?utm_term=.vxkw6jRar#.qoWz8ZBXn
giujohn

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:18 pm
@engineer,
Assange is not out to get Billary...Putin is...and its not because he loves Trump, it's because he hates Billary for interfering in Russian elections. Assange is just the vehicle...he MAY hate Billary but then most do.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 05:45 am
Inside The Strange, Paranoid World Of Julian Assange
On 29 November 2010, then US secretary of state Hillary Clinton stepped out in front of reporters to condemn the release of classified documents by WikiLeaks and five major news organisations the previous day.
WikiLeaks’ release, she said, “puts people’s lives in danger”, “threatens our national security”, and “undermines our efforts to work with other countries”.

“Releasing them poses real risks to real people,” she noted, adding, “We are taking aggressive steps to hold responsible those who stole this information.”

Julian Assange watched that message on a television in the corner of a living room in Ellingham Hall, a stately home in rural Norfolk, around 120 miles away from London.

I was sitting around 8ft away from him as he did so, the room’s antique furniture and rugs strewn with laptops, cables, and the mess of a tiny organisation orchestrating the world’s biggest news story.
Minutes later, the roar of a military jet sounded sharply overhead. I looked around the room and could see everyone thinking the same thing, but no one wanting to say it. Surely not. Surely? Of course, the jet passed harmlessly overhead – Ellingham Hall is not far from a Royal Air Force base – but such was the pressure, the adrenaline, and the paranoia in the room around Assange at that time that nothing felt impossible.

Spending those few months at such close proximity to Assange and his confidants, and experiencing first-hand the pressures exerted on those there, have given me a particular insight into how WikiLeaks has become what it is today.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/heres-what-i-learned-about-julian-assange?utm_term=.lbd4JM8nk#.oh5vQNX0q
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2018 11:40 am
https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/5762717/us-prosecutors-get-assange-indictment/

Quote:
US officials had no comment on the disclosure in the document about a sealed indictment of Assange. It is unclear what charges Assange faces.

But Joshua Stueve, a spokesman for the prosecutors' office which filed the document that was unsealed, told Reuters, "The court filing was made in error. That was not the intended name for this filing."

Prosecutors sought to keep the charges confidential until after Assange's arrest, the document shows, saying the move was essential to ensure he did not evade or avoid arrest and extradition in the case.

Any procedure "short of sealing will not adequately protect the needs of law enforcement at this time because, due to the sophistication of the defendant, and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged," the document reads.

It adds, "The complaint, supporting affidavit, and arrest warrant, as well as this motion and the proposed order, would need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested in connection with the charges in the criminal complaint and can therefore no longer evade or avoid arrest and extradition in this matter."

US officials have previously acknowledged that federal prosecutors based in Alexandria have been conducting a lengthy criminal investigation into WikiLeaks and its founder.

Representatives of the US administration of President Donald Trump, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have publicly called for Assange to be aggressively prosecuted.

Assange and his supporters have periodically said US authorities had filed secret criminal charges against him, an assertion against which some US officials pushed back until recently.

Facing extradition from Britain to Sweden to be questioned in a sexual molestation case, Assange six years ago took refuge in Ecuador's London embassy, where initially he was treated as a welcome guest.

But following a change in the government of the south American nation, Ecuadorean authorities last March began to crack down on his access to outsiders and for a time cut off his internet access.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 08:02 am
@Snowden

'The weakness of the US charge against Assange is shocking. The allegation he tried (and failed?) to help crack a password during their world-famous reporting has been public for nearly a decade: it is the count Obama's DOJ refused to charge, saying it endangered journalism.'
0 Replies