It is possible that correlations between religion's teachings have hidden truths about our purpose?

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 08:14 am
I'll repeat, and try to explain as best as possible.
REF: It is possible that correlations between religion's teachings have hidden truths about our purpose?

E.X. In Christianity there's a statement that humans are the, "Body of Christ."
As if referring to humans that they are God, but just do not know it.
Equality, because in the end everyone is connected, everyone is the same entity.
For Infinity to exist it must apply to everything, therefore everything is infinite.
Serious discussion only, not religious freaks/anti-religious freaks.

If it makes you feel any better replace god with Eno or One.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,533 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 01:08 pm
Of course it's possible. The truth is none of us, nary a one, knows for certain about these matters. The Bible says we (humans) are created in God's image, but the Bible is written and edited by man.

My personal belief is that there definitely is something out there but whether we are truly part of it or it of us, is a mystery.

I suppose the answer will be given upon earthly death....unless of course it isn't or can't be.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:39 pm
@odiousness,
Alan Watts a philosopher in the 60s discussed this topic at length even though he was brought up catholic and continued to be an ordained priest of the church, he loved zen buddhism.

Anyway. A few of his lectures were on the idea that Jesus's words have lost their underline meaning. He explains that gods consciousness is everyones consciousness but unaware that they themselves are god. He goes on to say the church has muddled this idea by leaning towards political control over the minds of those who havent realized this experience. As a way to keep them in line until they do.

His ideas further branch out into ideas that god destroyed itself to create the universe and all consciousness are fragments of the original mind. The purpose is to realize this and when you do the reality shifts from self importance to all encompassing acceptance.

His lectures have a time where he is attempting to unite the raw christian perspective with the clear thought of zen. Always having to wade through the garbage of how the church ruined the original concept in favor of control.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 08:59 pm
@odiousness,
odiousness wrote:

In Christianity there's a statement that humans are the, "Body of Christ."

That's one way of putting it. Basically it means true Christians like Jesus so much that they've formed a bond with him, a "mindmeld" if you like.
Then when they die, their souls automatically home in on him and absorb into him just as he said-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-meld_zps86861c7d.jpg~original
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:41 am
@odiousness,
Infinity does not exist but looping does.
...and I rather Christ is our body just the same.
odiousness

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 10:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Infinity most certainly does exist, it is the only reason why you/I exist.
0 Replies

odiousness

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 10:04 pm
@Krumple,
I absolutely loved watching Alan Watt's lectures, but I mean to go even deeper.
That in some unconscious form through correlations in multiple religions the common reoccurances are truths of reality. That's what I'd like to search for.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 10:29 pm
@odiousness,
The common themes of all religions have been termed "elementary ideas"--Bastian--or "archetypes of the unconscious"--Jung. Individual variations are "folk ideas" or "local ideas." Religions get in trouble when they start claiming their local variations are the only true religion.

I used to love reading Alan Watts. I was married in a Unitarian church. The minister told me Watts gave a talk in his church, his bottle of rum on the table next to him. He liked his booze.
0 Replies