I Want To get out of a "Smart Phone Plan"

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 02:53 am
and Im having trouble dealing with ATT's "termination service"

I signed up for a new Samsung phone (not a note 7). Its not exactly an intuitive device. I signed up for a 60$ a month plan. With all the bullshit ups extras and things I relly knew nothing about, Im being charged over 150 a month!!
Its more of a scam than a pln nd Ive gone to through chaneels and now Ive gotten a second monthly bill and notice tht (what Id consider to be ONE TIME CHARGES-are being assessed of me on a monthly basis.)
I think Im being taken dvntage of because Im over 60 nd conidered , pwrhaps, to be a little slow headed.

ANYONE else having such problems or is 60$ a month only for sales purposes and do all our plans vary?

When we were oout in the water for several weeks, I didnt use the phone (mostly cause I was concerned that ALL Samsung phones had that "blow up" feature). So i didnt even use or charge the phone for almost 2 month. My accumulated bills for that pwriod total 335 bucks.

I think Im gonna get a phone and just sign up for " a pile of gigs over a fixed time" plan.

Your sage advice is appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 608 • Replies: 19
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 04:18 am
@farmerman,
That seems pretty high for a single user plan. I have a family plan on Verizon for around $120 per month.

I'm not familiar with AT&T plans.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 04:34 am
We used Sprint for years and gradually they began charging us those kind of fees. We finally went to Family Mobile for about $45 month. I have a flip phone and my wife has a phone with internet.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:29 am
@farmerman,
Are you being charged a monthly fee for the phone itself? Maybe it wasn't free, but on installment.

A couple of thoughts. If you are being charged for the phone, maybe you can go in, pay the phone off and then sell it. You should be able to get $400 for an S7 on ebay or craigslist. Go through that bill and see what you are being charged for. They might be charging you for an elaborate data plan you don't need.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:58 am
@engineer,
I agreed to a 60$ /month plan. ll the extras qere not disclosed when I got it.
Ive been told that ATT dos this
I as charged for 45$ insurance in ech bill. I dont even recall greeing to insurance
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:03 am
@rosborne979,
did they disclose a 120$ month total payout??
My 60$ a month just ballooned out of control on my two bills (Which, btw, Ive refused to pay until e get some understaning about ht Ive signed up for with my sig. If, as I fear, its something that I failed to read in the store, I guess Im screwed0

My wife uses a Net 10 plan. She and her sisters hd gone on this "gigs per quarter" idea, an they hve tons of good thing to say about their service.
(I didnt go that ay bwcause I didnbt wanna be bothered with clling qnd upping every three months)--How stupid was I?
I really dont need the phone much. I ctully use it more for google and Rock mapping and Airphoto apps.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 12:47 pm
Yipes!
I too have AT&T but nowhere near that high an amount, nor any problems with them.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
Verizon told me what I would be paying ahead of time, and it was accurate to within a couple of dollars. My plan is a family plan with two people on it. The individual plan was about $90/month.

Unlimited calling with 1.5Gig/Month/Person of data.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
Bummer. My satellite TV provider (Windstream) did a similar 'fine print' scam. A guaranteed $49.00 a month plan was actually $87.00 after getting an actual bill. I'm finally 'satellite free' after a herculean effort to cancel. Persistence is key.

For phone - Tracfone is my friend. Never any surprises.

It is embarrassing around geek friends tho...
roger

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
For straight cell coverage, I'm Trackfone all the way. Since I almost never use it, I've got several thousand minutes, and pay $100/year to keep it active. I've never considered a smart phone, so don't have input on this thread.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
does trakfone have a smarty fone option?
0 Replies

Krumple
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:42 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer,

Quit tryin to rip the IV out, if we have to have our blood sucked then so do you.

Do you have access to Metro PCS? I pay 60 a month for unlimited bandwidth and no contract. I can leave any time no fee and no late fee if I dont pay next month.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:46 pm
@Krumple,
tell me more. we have these stores in Lancaster with Metro PCS. How often must you call to buy mor gigs??
Krumple

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 08:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

tell me more. we have these stores in Lancaster with Metro PCS. How often must you call to buy mor gigs??

Paybat the beginning of the month you get unlimited for 60. Its limited if you pay less.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 05:07 am
@Krumple,
thanx . now all i have to do is get released from att
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 06:38 am
I could tell you what to do, but it's on the internet and we all know that means it must not be true.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:01 am
@McGentrix,
Its always good to have multiple data sets. Then I can decide , by simple experience, which is false.

"Ignoring input information, no matter how ridiculous the premise, is the hallmark of Evangelical Christianity, not good science. Science will study the information until it reveals its own value"--Shubin

You will notice that much biology has still NOT discounted and denied the existence of "Bigfoot". They just say that there is, to date, no credible evidence for its occurence.

Its just that there IS NO attempt at peer review or tech review of much of whats on the "net"

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:55 am
@farmerman,
A lot of small carriers use ATT or Verizon networks and have plans where you own your phone and just pay for your use. You can quit any time. Generally, you can even port away your phone and your number.

After futzing around for years, I settled on Cricket, an ATT subsidiary. In June I bought 4 Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime for $35 each, signed for unlimited text and minutes, 3 phones for 5 gig and my phone for 10 gig + Hotspot. I pay $160 a month and have never gone over. Works great. I can use my tablet for CC sales at trade shows, use both the phone and laptop wherever I need so long as I don't use my data to download movies or watch TV.

And I can port it all over to Consumer Cellular or some other company if I get tired of Cricket. (Don't think they're as generous with the hotspot, though.)

Remember the bricks we used to carry for $200 a month?
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 01:02 am
@neologist,
yah I do. Im off to see the wizard in the AM
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 01:05 am
@farmerman,
Youve all given me greqt advice, Id give out many of the coveted red spots of sage advice, but Krumpit was sorta first outta the gate with something that filled me with resolve
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Want To get out of a "Smart Phone Plan"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:34:32