Are these sentences run-on or have any comma splices

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 04:24 pm
1) Psychological theories differ from other criminological theories in the sense that they address crime at a micro-level, focusing on individual differences leading people to engage in criminal behaviour.

2) Personality trait theories focus on criminal behaviour as a method of externalizing an individual’s internal pathology (Moore, 2011). They look at certain traits and coping mechanisms within an individual that are believed to lead to delinquent or criminal behaviour.

3) The key point made throughout the article is that law enforcement agents must have the necessary personality traits to allow them to handle situations involving high emotionality and high stress.

4) To examine this further, one must take a step back and look at psychological theories of crime and delinquency as a whole.

5) The goal of these theories is to identify common characteristics of offenders, allowing interventions to be guided by a framework

I'm writing a paper. A peer said they did but did not point them out. I wanted to get a second opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,347 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 04:37 pm
@jack9912,
I see no problems.
jack9912

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 04:45 pm
@roger,
thanks, so no need for a semi-colon or any other reason to change these sentences? Great!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 05:24 pm
@jack9912,
Jack for what it's worth I agree w/ Rog
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:04 pm
@jack9912,
jack9912 I do not see any bad sentences here but If these sentences are meant to be read one after the other, they seem disjointed. I do not think of psychological theories as being criminological theories. You use the word "other" as if they were, but the answer to this may be in a previous paragraph. Sentence no. 3 reads like the beginning of a new paragraph rather than following sentence no. 2. I do not know how they follow each other so I will cease to comment. Up, Up, and Away! Candlelight8
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:28 pm
@jack9912,
I'm pretty sure they're all fine. I think your peer didn't like that you use present participles a lot. I'd say "that lead" instead of "leading" and "that allow" instead of "allowing" but that's just my preference.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:34 pm
All the sentences are fine.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 01:19 pm
@Roberta,
Good for you Rob for also sticking out your neck
jack9912

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 02:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you all for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:06 pm
@jack9912,
Jack you afre quite welcome
0 Replies