Any idea of how I won't be exposed to cold weather at night time when homeless?

gorams1

Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:42 pm
No shelter will let me in because I have no ID. I stayed up straight for two nights in a row. Thats how long I've been homeless. Its stressing me out that I can't find a place to sleep in this weather. I dont think I can sleep on a bench for a bus stop either. I tried and people give me weird looks. I shiver every night and can't get any sleep

Sturgis

Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:25 pm
@gorams1,
To start with, do what is necessary to obtain a valid I.d. Get a birth certificate and if you are in the United States, a reissued Social Security card. Try to find a friend or family member who can accept a piece or two of mail for you.

As to survival in the elements, this will be a matter of where you are located. It seems you are in a cold climate area.

Tips for keeping warm include dressing in layers. Several layers of natural fibers, not synthetics. Natural breathes better and keeps a person from perspiring as much.

Newspapers. It may sound weird, but newspapers can shield against wind pushing through your clothing. Additionally, newspaper scrunches up which traps some pockets of warmth.

Try to eat somewhat late, as close to snooze time as possible. It can stimulate internal warmth which will help you doze off.

Stay in areas that are less windy. Some streets...especially nearer to water, seem to be windier, also certain intersections due to buildings being built and creating wind tunnels.

Waterproof footwear and clothing is the best way to go, you need to stay dry.

Always wear a hat and wear a scarf if you can or at least keep your shirt buttoned all the way up.

Look around, ask other homeless folk how they stay warm. You can still stay of on your own, but learn from them.

Sleep on the ground or a bench or wherever is available and try to get something between you and the ground. cardboard works well and you can place it b the trash bins when you wake up.

Sometimes a fire department will give you a blanket. Not always. If you are given one, hold on to it. I know one man who has an irritating tendency to throw the blanket out the following morning. I gave him a blanket once and the next day he had tossed it.

Another thing to try, get yourself admitted to a hospital. Once there, a social worker can usually assist in getting you the needed I.d. The difficulty with getting admitted to a hospital is of course needing to have a medical condition of some sort. I do know a guy who went to the emergency room claiming he as suicidal. It got him a hospital bed for three weeks after which he was directed to a shelter. Once in he shelter system he worked with the officials there and eventually was able to get his own place (government subsidy helps towards his rent).

I hope you can get yourself back indoors soon, before winter takes a hold.
cicerone imposter

Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:54 pm
@Sturgis,
All good suggestions. Also, many communities have homeless shelters. Go to the city's government offices to find out if they can help you. Many churches provide food and shelter.
Find out where they have Second Harvest Food Bank outlets. They may also have information on shelters.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Wed 12 Oct, 2016 04:03 pm
@gorams1,
Gor, sleeping in my bedroom I have 4 blankets and the spread folded once at the foot of my bed, wakening usu 4 times, rarely 5, as it gets colder, to pull up the next one. Outside you might have to place a rock on 'em so the wind doesn't carry 'em off

Also of course you'd need something under you to insulate you from the cold ground or to provide a little give
0 Replies

Jakemichaels

Thu 25 May, 2017 08:17 am
If you have a tent then you should be fine from weather but the cold is harder to overcome. I use a stereo to break the chill in the tent after laying a wool blanket over the top then a tarp to keep heat trapped. This works well and if you make an igloo of blankets over the tent by sewing them. Then you'll he just fine
0 Replies

JessieSweetz

Fri 16 Feb, 2018 09:17 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis gave excellent advise. I also used to find abandoned houses, unlocked empty apartments, and homes for sale. Just keep everything neat and clean, make it look like no one has been there. Always be ready to run out in case someone comes to show the place.
0 Replies

zhogan37

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:30 pm
Try using government programs or local religious aid and charities to get necessary supplies and money, and also go to local traveling shelters that travel locally to different housing places so you will always be supplied for. I am praying for you. Go to religious shelters. They might except you. Find some caring people maybe family or friends or make new companions in order to get shelter from them.
0 Replies