Westworld (HBO Series)

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 11:25 am
Anyone else watching?

Very interesting mashup of a western, Ex Machina, Game of Thrones, and the Star Trek holodeck, IMO.

I've been haunted by the orchestral version of Paint it Black in the pilot....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,482 • Replies: 14
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:03 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Anyone else watching?

Seen episode 1. Episode 2 is recorded and waiting for me to watch it. I will probably re-watch episode 1 again first just to make sure that I notice all the minor plot points.

DrewDad wrote:
Very interesting mashup of a western, Ex Machina, Game of Thrones, and the Star Trek holodeck, IMO.

I think the idea is to portray an "artificial intelligence vs human" conflict from the perspective of the AI.

It was created by the same guy who created "Person of Interest" which did a good job of exploring how an artificial intelligence might interact with humanity.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm very interested in seeing this show, but I don't have HBO currently and I don't want to get it just for one show. So I'll probably wait for it to come out on iTunes and then just purchase the episodes.

I hope the story holds up to expectations. It looks like it could be a great series.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:20 pm
@oralloy,
I started watching Person of Interest because I heard it had an AI aspect to the story, but I am not completely through the first season and it's getting very repetitive and I'm getting bored with it. Does it get better in the subsequent seasons? Does it turn more toward the AI aspect of the story?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:52 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah, I quickly grew bored of Person of Interest.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 03:41 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
I hope the story holds up to expectations. It looks like it could be a great series.

The show has humanoid robots (played by human actors) with human-like feelings, that wealthy psychopaths can rape and torment and slaughter for fun.

Eventually they gain self awareness, and as it happens they don't much like being raped and murdered over and over.

Think "Cylon revolt" from the perspective of the Cylons.
oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 03:44 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Does it turn more toward the AI aspect of the story?

Yes, but mostly late in the series. Although there are a few important episodes scattered through the early part of the series that probably shouldn't be missed.

I'm wondering if I can compose a rough guide of what episodes to make sure to watch. I'll try to come up with something, but I don't know if I'll have it done tonight.
oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 04:31 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Does it turn more toward the AI aspect of the story?

Yes, but mostly late in the series. Although there are a few important episodes scattered through the early part of the series that probably shouldn't be missed.

I'm wondering if I can compose a rough guide of what episodes to make sure to watch. I'll try to come up with something, but I don't know if I'll have it done tonight.

Assuming that you've seen most of Season 1, try watching the following episodes of Person of Interest:

Episode 13 "Root Cause" (you've probably seen it by now, but I added it just to make sure -- it introduces an important character)

Episode 23 "Firewall" (last episode of Season 1)

Episode 24 "The Contingency"

Episode 25 "Bad Code"

Episode 39 "Relevance"

Episode 42 "Trojan Horse"

Episode 44 "Zero Day"

Episode 45 "God Mode" (last episode of Season 2)

Episode 48 "Lady Killer"

Episode 56 "Lethe"

Episode 57 "Aletheia"

Episode 62 "Root Path"

Episode 63 "Allegiance"

From this point on, try watching every episode again.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 06:56 pm
@oralloy,
Ok. I may do that when I get a chance (right now my list of shows to watch is pretty full... Longmire, Luke Cage, to name a couple). Thanks for taking the time to put that list together. When I get back to the show I'll be sure to use it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:00 pm
@oralloy,
I think there is lots of good philosophical ground to cover when it comes to AI and robots. It makes for very interesting scifi. I loved the Cylons in the Battlestar Galactica reboot, and I love the whole show right up until the last season, where they went completely off the rails, culminating in one of the most embarrassing conclusions to a scifi series ever. I'm still not over how horrible the last episode was. Anyway, don't get me going.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:03 pm
By the way, since we're on the subject of robots and AI, I'm going to put in an plug for Ex Machina. If you haven't seen it then you probably should. It has one of the most subtle and different takes on the "Intelligent Machine" idea I've seen yet. It actually uses the viewer to help make its point, but you don't see how you (and the characters) are being manipulated until the end. Great stuff.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:42 am
@DrewDad,
On tape, I watch it once I've got the whole season.

Kryten will always be my favourite robot.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:49 am
Currently watching 2 episodes to go. I am liking it, but my main criticism was of the place of grid that was supposed to be a representation of Ford's childhood. It was supposed to be in Cornwall but his dad had a Scots accent and Hopkins still has a Welsh accent. Not only that it was like something out of the 19th Century. Cornwall has electricity, running water, central heating, TV and internet connection, and the Cornwall of Ford's childhood would be sometime in the future. I thought that was very sloppy.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 06:42 am
@izzythepush,
Also currently watching. About two episodes to go for me as well. So far at least I haven't been able to connect everything in the story, things seem disjointed in some way. Hoping they pull the loose ends together by the end of this season.
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 08:08 am
@rosborne979,
There are some surprises that will only be revealed in the last episode. If you have some questions, I can try to answer them though (presuming that I know the answers myself).
0 Replies