Child custody when father has a previous court case of molestation

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:09 pm
Okay so my Ex and I have a 8 month old together and we have separated. We were never married. He wants the baby overnight but of course I feel the baby is too small. My Ex also had a previous court case with his ex and his other son that the state pressed charges for sexually touching a minor. Well he and his ex came to an agreement that If he gave up his rights to their son she would drop the case. So what I want to know is will that case affect his rights to our son since it was a child molestation case? And there was no verdict ever made because the case was dropped. He was never declared innocent or guilty

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 05:19 am
@Latray1025,
Maybe but talk to a lawyer. Yes, pay for one or try to get one through Legal Services. Child custody is a tricky and important issue; get a professional to help you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 10:33 am
@Latray1025,
None of this makes sense to me.

If the state was pressing charges how was his ex able to get them dropped? Did they not have any evidence other than her word?

How was he able to just sign his rights away. My understanding is that that isn't possible unless someone (like a step parent) is petitioning to adopt the child.

If you've never been convicted of a crime how in the world could it be used against you in any situation.

Jespah is right. You'll need a lawyer. A good one.

One thing they'll probably want to know is why you decided to have a kid with a man you thought was guilty of child molestation.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 03:27 pm
@boomerang,
'How was he able to just sign his rights away.'

This is sometimes done if there is an adoption in the works or the mother wants to break all ties, including any future financial obligations.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 04:30 pm
@PUNKEY,
I believe one can sign away rights, but not responsibility.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:00 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
One thing they'll probably want to know is why you decided to have a kid with a man you thought was guilty of child molestation.

Good question, and one I'll never understand. I taught at a school where one of the kid's fathers was a convicted paedophile, currently serving time in jail. While he was in jail his wife left him and moved in with another paedophile who had just been released from prison.

There's probably a thesis on deviant behaviour being normalised in socially isolated communities which explains it, but I'll never get my head around it.
0 Replies