Razmysl

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 10:19 am
Dear fellas, please, will you explain me it?
A foreman of a jury is saying in this video, 'Can we hold it down a minute?'

What does he mean by the expression "hold it down": "hold your noise!", "be somewhat calmer" or something else?
Cheers, guys!

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 10:22 am
@Razmysl,
It means hold the noise down.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 02:19 pm
@Ragman,
Be quiet because I have something to say.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 04:06 pm
@Razmysl,
Hey, can't you guys see that gal over there for the last five minutes holding the tray with all our beer
Razmysl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 10:17 am
@Ragman,
Thanks a lot, Ragman. You know, I live in Russia and don't know nuances of English. Could you elucidate me, what "hold the noise down" is?:
a) to lessen loudness of a noise, make a noise but not so loudly
b) not to make any noise at all, be silent
Razmysl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 10:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Many thanks, cicerone imposter.
I don't see what's the difference between "hold the noise down" and "Be quiet" yet. Will you kindly tell it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 01:52 pm
@Razmysl,
Hold the noise down allows some noise to remain. Quiet means no noise.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 03:15 pm
@Razmysl,
Razmysl wrote:
Thanks a lot, Ragman. You know, I live in Russia and don't know nuances of English. Could you elucidate me, what "hold the noise down" is?:
a) to lessen loudness of a noise, make a noise but not so loudly
b) not to make any noise at all, be silent

It can mean both. The character in the movie is saying it so that he can be heard either by lessening the noise or silencing the noise completely.
Razmysl

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you, cicerone imposter. I wish you all the best.
0 Replies

Razmysl

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:23 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The character in the movie is saying it so that he can be heard either by lessening the noise or silencing the noise completely.
It's fine. Thank you so much, InfraBlue.
And what if the foreman meant by "hold it down" not "hold the noise down" but "stop it"? So could he mean the following while he was saying the sentence in the movie: "Can we stop chattering, walking around and keep it so a minute?"?
What is your opinion about it?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 01:31 pm
@Razmysl,
Razmysl wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
The character in the movie is saying it so that he can be heard either by lessening the noise or silencing the noise completely.
It's fine. Thank you so much, InfraBlue.
And what if the foreman meant by "hold it down" not "hold the noise down" but "stop it"? So could he mean the following while he was saying the sentence in the movie: "Can we stop chattering, walking around and keep it so a minute?"?
What is your opinion about it?

By saying "can we hold it down a minute," he's referring to the chatter more than anything else.
Razmysl

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 09:55 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Hey, can't you guys see that gal over there for the last five minutes holding the tray with all our beer
It's a funny joke.
0 Replies

Razmysl

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 10:26 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
By saying "can we hold it down a minute," he's referring to the chatter more than anything else.
Thank you, dear InfraBlue. OK, then, what did he mean by saying "Can we hold it down...?": "Can we stop chattering completely?" or "Can we chatter not so lively and loudly?"?
Kind regards.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 10:30 am
@Razmysl,
He is telling/asking them to stop talking.

Hold it down has to do with the noise of them talking.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 01:04 pm
@Razmysl

He's being understated because I would think that he'd want complete silence instead of just a reduction of noise.

Maybe he could have stated in a more authoritarian way, "Silence!" but he was being polite.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 01:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
I think some here a making too fine a point of it.

The guy who said it just wanted to say something, get the deliberations underway, and was indicating it was time to stop the chatter.

It's just an expression, not something he was giving a lot of thought to.
0 Replies

Razmysl

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 09:32 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
He's being understated because I would think that he'd want complete silence instead of just a reduction of noise.

Maybe he could have stated in a more authoritarian way, "Silence!" but he was being polite.
That's it. It is just I lacked to comprehend completely a meaning and an undertone of the expression "hold it down" in such context. Thanks, InfraBlue.
0 Replies

Razmysl

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, InfraBlue, chai2, you have supported me superbly on this way, and the question is settled now. Guys, I hope that I'll have another chance to communicate with you what gives me pleasure. Thank you, bye!
0 Replies