Identifying Noun Clauses and Their Functions

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 10:18 am
Hello everyone this is my first post here and I've been struggling with english especially with homeworks 😥
I need help with something i can't figure out on the Warriner's handbook sixth course page 89 exercise 3

Identifying Noun Clauses and Their Function
Identify each noun clause in the following sentences and tell whether it is a subject,a direct object,ab indirect object,a predicate nominative,or an object of preposition

1-My finances don't quite allow me to live in style;in fact,I'm completely broke!
Can some1 pls answer this and explain why? 😰
thx in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 694 • Replies: 5
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 05:55 pm
What do you think it/they are?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 06:34 pm
@Mrmcnoobie,
Quote:
My finances don't quite allow me to live in style;in fact,I'm completely broke!

A contradiction. This person has no "finances." You can replace "finances" with any noun, and it still won't make any sense.
Mrmcnoobie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for responding but I do not understand because the question says:
Identify each noun clause in the following sentences and tell whether it is a subject,a direct object,ab indirect object,a predicate nominative,or an object of preposition

could you please be more specific?
0 Replies

Mrmcnoobie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:41 am
@InfraBlue,
i don't know because I've struggled with it that's why i asked for help with it
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:41 am
@Mrmcnoobie,
You have a handbook and I presume accompanying notes to elucidate these examples for you. They will be far more valuable than any of us can be.

Identifying the noun clause is the easy part. You need to look for a verb that links to a subject. I see two noun clauses in your example. What doesn't allow me to live in style? Who is completely broke?

Look at your notes or online to identify what the function of the clauses are. The example may be tripping you up because of the semicolon. Remember that the sentence can be rewritten as: My finances don't quite allow me to live in style. In fact, I'm completely broke.

0 Replies