We cannot choose to have meaning in our lives

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
Many people would say that a meaningful life is all about our way of thinking. That for your life to be worth living, all it requires is a change of thinking. That it is our way of thinking that dictates whether our lives have meaning or not. But this is not the case and I am going to explain why. Perceiving your life as worth living (meaningful), that is a certain mental state. You have to be in that mental state in order for your life to have meaning.

This mental state is not the same thing as thinking and telling yourself that your life is meaningful. There is a big difference here between the two. I have ocd and when I have struggled with an obsessive worry that has made my life miserable, that made everything in my life completely insignificant (meaningless). Everything in my life was completely dead and empty.

It didn't matter what I told myself. Even though I thought to myself that my life was still worth living and that everything in my life was still meaningful, that did absolutely nothing. My life was still completely empty. Therefore, as you can see here, having meaning in your life is a certain mental state and is not a matter of simply thinking to yourself that your life is still meaningful.

This mental state is turned off during obsessive worries and in some cases of depression. When this mental state is turned off, that makes everything in your life meaningless. That makes your life completely devoid and empty and no way of thinking can make your life meaningful. You have to wait until the depression/obsessive worry passes. Only then will that mental state turn back on.

Once that mental state turns back on, that is when your life will be meaningful again. Everything in your life will be filled with significance once again. Everything I have explained here is my personal experience. This is my experience with having depression and ocd. Many people would say that only selfish people perceive their lives as meaningless when they have depression/ocd.

But everything I have written here is an attempt to debunk this false nonsensical notion that is completely ignorant of the suffering of those who struggle with depression/ocd. It makes them look like they are selfish people when, in reality, it is not their fault since that mental state that allows these people to perceive their lives as meaningful, that mental state is turned off.

I am currently having an obsessive worry in my life that has taken my life away from me. My life continues to remain completely empty regardless of what I do, how I think, etc. and this is not my fault. It does not mean I am selfish.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,113 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
Personally I think the idea that life has to be "meaningful" is an error, and liable to lead to neurosis. Also, you seem to be generalising from a sample of one.

MozartLink

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:12 pm
@contrex,
You say that life doesn't have to be meaningful. I just don't understand how someone can be fine with living a life that is completely empty in which nothing has any significance. If I had to live such a life, I would just put an end to my life right now since that is not a life worth living.
contrex

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:34 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:
You say that life doesn't have to be meaningful.

No, you misunderstand me, possibly deliberately. I say that the very idea of life having "meaning" is something that many people, perhaps most, are content to leave to one side, or ignore. Who cares if life does not have some great big "meaning"? It is somewhat egotistical to suppose that it does and that one is capable of finding it out. Also more than a little narcissistic. Life can have lots of little "meanings".

MozartLink wrote:
I just don't understand how someone can be fine with living a life that is completely empty in which nothing has any significance.

Maybe if you tried to understand how people other than yourself think and feel and live, you might escape the pit of gloom that you seem to be wallowing in.
MozartLink

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:36 pm
@contrex,
My very opening post was addressing those "little meanings" you spoke of. I was not talking about any grand meaning.
contrex

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:38 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

My very opening post was addressing those "little meanings" you spoke of. I was not talking about any grand meaning.

Have you tried consulting a psychiatrist?
0 Replies

XxSiCxX

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:57 pm
@MozartLink,
I'm not going to go into the "depression/obsession" bit.
Do you think that people that live in daily pain share your "state" of mind or mental out look?

Your welcome to your view. I by no means support it in the philosophical nature of things. If I subscribe to that I would wallow in a feeling that life holds nothing. Even in days of pain and tears do I go life is meaning less. I still love and feel and care. I still find the journey worth taking. If anything I enjoy my good days all the more because of the bad ones. I rejoice in the friends that have stayed by me even if it has meant for them watching someone they care about to go down a dark road.

The knowledge that I have these things even on the days I care not to move from bed. These things make life beautiful. The handful of good days. The laughter, conversation and shared tears. They all add to it and keep the days and long nights full of meaning. The journey may be hard and bleed us dry by the end. But it still has worth and meaning.

All just my view.
MozartLink

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 03:11 pm
@XxSiCxX,
Those who still perceive their lives as meaningful even during much depression and misery, then that mental state that allows them to perceive their lives as meaningful is left turned on for them. But there are many unfortunate people in which that mental state is turned off.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:48 pm
@MozartLink,
Ask your consultant physician about methods of intervention.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 03:33 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

You say that life doesn't have to be meaningful. I just don't understand how someone can be fine with living a life that is completely empty in which nothing has any significance. If I had to live such a life, I would just put an end to my life right now since that is not a life worth living.

I also think life doesnt need meaning to be meaningful. Take dancing, the point isnt to get anywhere. Its pointless essentially but it does have a purpose. Its just an expression.

I think life is better when there is no meaning. Because imposing a meaning seems to stagnate life into that meaning. Like a blank painting canvas has unlimited potential because nothing has been imposed that it should be something. That is how I view a meaningless life, infinite potential to be anything. Its true freedom. Love it or leave it.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 05:58 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 06:16 pm
Some more now in English... Wink
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 03:08 am
@MozartLink,
Thats because life is life and its not suppose to have a meaning for anybody. You are the one that should find a meaning to be here and getting to feel that way is up to you alone. See a therapist, get the right treatment if there's trully something to be treated and think about all those people born in a difficult place and make a happy life out of their miserable origins. You have to work hard to discover what is meaningful for you and fight to get it. Life is the time you'll be in this world... Its up to you to to make it meaningfull or not. (What ever meaningfull means to you)
Cheer up! There' a whole world out there full of possibilities
contrex

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 03:48 am
A good post from Momoends.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:25 am
@momoends,
She doesn't want pills just attention...so I doubt there is actually any significant problem...
0 Replies